Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar fasciitis and running

Posted by katdoc on 1/08/05 at 15:39 (166715)

I have been following a marathon training program with a friend and was professionally fitted for some Brooks running shoes that are supposed to be the best for the way I step when I run. 2 months after buying these shoes and following a professionally developed running program, I developed symptoms that are classic for plantar fasciitis. I have not been to a doctor yet, but do intend to go. My hesitation is that I am concerned that the doctor will tell me to completely quit running, which is what I have done for the time being. I made it up to being able to run 9 miles and I really don't want to quit because it is one of the few exercises that I had been able to stick with. I am overweight and really need the exercise. Is there any advice regarding how I might be able to deal with this problem and still continue my marathon training?

Re: Plantar fasciitis and running

Angie P. on 1/18/05 at 13:48 (167474)

Hi !
I've been a runner for 25 years and a competivie tennis player for 30 yrs. (I sound really old, don't I?) I'm only 43. Anyway the last 2 years I've had a lot of plantar fas. pain and just in the past year it has really become full blown. I guess after my last tennis tournament in May, I maybe partially ruptured the fascia. My ortho. has told me not to run, play tennis, anything weight bearing until the pain subsides. I've been under his treatment since July of 2004. We've tried NASID's, physical therapy, night splint, taping,orthotics, and I just got my right foot out of a cast that was on for eight weeks. Nothing seems to help. To keep my fitmess level up, I've been using an EFX machine, and riding my bicycle, yes, even with a cast on. This has been an adjustment, but as a runner, you know how addicting it can be. The need to run or play tennis consumes you. Try to find the right activity to keep your heart rate up, but something that will be easy on your foot. I'm speaking from experience. I pushed the last month of May, and I'm paying for it. I would suggest to anyone, not to push through this injury.
I go back next Monday to see what else can be done. I'm probably looking at surgery, which is at least another 6 wks. down time. This is truly an injury that will test your patience.
Good luck!