Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Sofa Girl Progress Reports

Posted by Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/05 at 20:59 (166816)

Wendy and Judy, how are you doing today? Here's an update on my progress:

Today I wrapped myself up in a comforter so that I was toasty warm, and watched TV and dozed all afternoon on the sofa. oh boy oh boy LOL

Then, my brother called me on the phone. The ringing phone was the highlight of my day. I picked it up and opened my mouth to say hello, and out came the most pitiful whispered unintelligible squeak you ever heard! Apparently I now have laryngitis, which is odd because I really haven't coughed that much. Anyway, I managed to 'shout-whisper' enough that he understood what was going on, so he will call back another day to chat.

Guess that solves the dilemma about whether or not to go to work tomorrow. I couldn't get anything done even if I did. And NOW the cough is starting. :(

Carole C (a.k.a. Sofa Girl #2)

Re: Sofa Girl Progress Reports

wendyn on 1/09/05 at 21:50 (166817)

Carole, it sounds like you spent a nice day on the couch. Did you watch anything interesting? The odd time I've had laryngitis, it's never been associated with a cough. I think sometimes it just happens. Totally lost my voice for a whole week once (my husband said it was the most peaceful week he ever had!)

Last night I felt terrible. My cold moved into my sinuses and I thought my head was going to pop. Today is a bit better. Still need my puffer every four hours, but I feel like I'm on the mend. I've spent most of the weekend at home, but it's very cold out - so that's not such a bad thing.

Now the 11 year old is getting Virus 2005, but hopefully he will be a little more resiliant than his mom.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/09/05 at 22:36 (166821)

Wendy, I hope your 11 year old doesn't get Virus 2005 too badly. Mine has moved into my sinuses as well, but in my case Tylenol Sinus and Allergies is enough to keep things at a reasonable level. I have a slight cough too, which is getting considerably worse in the past hour. So far, my sore throat lozenges have helped that a bit.

I felt like I was on the mend yesterday, but not so much today. Not only did I get laryngitis, but I am having another more ominous symptom. I think the infection is 'settling' in my right knee... my knee has become swollen and very sore. The problem with that is that when that happens to me, it takes a long time before the joint returns to normal. None of us here like it when we can't walk easily! So, I have been applying my heating pad and trying to very gently move the joint, and to stay off of it.

I watched a biography of Caroline Kennedy on MSNBC which I thought was very good. I watched some shows on the Home and Garden Channel, but fell asleep during them so I'm not quite sure what they were. I watched an expose about the nonconsensual sexual exploitation of children in areas affected by the tsunami, and how people are concerned that some of the child victims might be kidnapped by predators who want to sell them for nefarious uses. I watched reruns of the news. I watched the weather channel and saw the snow in California... As you can tell, there wasn't much on TV this afternoon!

Carole C

Julie on 1/09/05 at 23:08 (166822)

That's interesting, Carole. My cold, but I'm beginning to think it might have been virus 2005,, began with losing my voice. I woke up on Christmas eve morning, opened my mouth to say hello to Klaus, and out came that pitiful croak. Over the next few days it moved to my throat, chest and head. I have only just emerged from coughing and sputtering after two weeks of this. I thought I had a bad cold, but maybe it was really V-2005 (which has not been mentioned over here).

I hope yours does't last as long as mine did - probably it won't, as you've already got the flu symptoms over with. But definitely no work for you today! Stay on that sofa.

JudyS on 1/10/05 at 01:10 (166824)

Well Wendy and Carole - I can empathise! And even though I'm feeling very near 100%, after we went for a walk at the rainy beach yesterday I came home and slept for three hours! So I guess I wasn't quite that ready for a long walk.
Mine was almost entirely sinus/head related with the occasional shaky chills. Yep I can empathise - my face really hurt for awhile there - I think it was even in my scalp!
Hang in there you two - Wendy, don't over-do!

The rain here has gotten pretty serious. The most prolific and long-term rainfall in recorded history. I personally love it and love to stand on my front porch and watch it - if not go walking in it. But it is causing a multitude of problems all over California. Keep your fingers crossed that my trees stay upright!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/05 at 07:42 (166829)

I hope mine doesn't last as long, too. I've heard two weeks elsewhere for this one virus, though.

I stayed home today but this is bad. Thursday I am supposed to co-chair two sessions on Deep Water Physical Oceanography at an international scientific conference we are hosting. Eleven eminent, invited scientists are arriving from all over the U.S. and Mexico to speak at these two sessions. I would feel awful if I wasn't even there. But if I am still like this, I don't think I could do it.

Apparently a lot of people are getting this virus here in the U.S. I think it might be the flu, since we didn't have flu shots over here. I always get a flu shot and couldn't this year. Then in December they told us we could get one the second week in January, which is this week so it wouldn't do me any good.

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/05 at 07:48 (166830)

I have every flu symptom I can find online but the headache, and Wendy's got that.

I heard about your rain! That is awful. Coastal Southern California just isn't used to much rain at all, and can't handle this much. I haven't yet seen any footage of houses sliding down hills... so I am hoping that hasn't started yet. They did show footage of cars abandoned in the snow, in the mountains to the east of LA.

Maybe it would be good for you to stay home or walk at a gym where it's nice and dry. Wouldn't want you to go back to being Sofa Girl again.

Carole C

Re: Judy - the rain in California

Kathy G on 1/10/05 at 08:49 (166834)

I came on to start a thread asking you if you were being adversely affected by the rains but I see from your post that so far, it's just hard rain. I was watching the football game and couldn't believe how hard it was raining. And of course, the news is full of stories about how hard hit some areas are. I'll keep a good thought for all your trees!

Re: Judy - the rain in California

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/05 at 10:51 (166847)

I was amazed when I saw the flooding photos on cnn.com (under 'Gallery', right under the flood story). It looks awful! I'm glad that poor fellow was rescued after floating downstream on the roof of his BMW. Who would have ever thought that that could happen in Los Angeles.

Judy, I'm hoping your trees make it!

Carole C

John H on 1/10/05 at 11:15 (166851)

Someone must be angry with the west coast. Floods,snow,earthquakes,mud slides,droughts,fog,the Beach Boys,etc.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/05 at 12:24 (166853)

And then a few years ago there were all those fires! Remember when Judy had to leave her home and didn't know if it had burned down?

Like a lot of people, I sometimes daydream about California... a warm place where I could be near the ocean and not have to worry about Louisiana's hurricanes and sinking land. But then I guess California sometimes has problems too. Also I could never afford to live there.

Carole C

JudyS on 1/10/05 at 14:19 (166855)

yep, mudslides, the Beach Boys, Governor Arnie.....but then Little Rock DID produce Bill Clinton.......:)

JudyS on 1/10/05 at 14:24 (166856)

Boy did you hit the nail on the head Carole! I think the cost of goods here is relatively comparable to many parts of the US but the cost of housing is what so seriously skews everything under the heading 'cost of living'. There are always worries about San Diego becoming more and more elitist simply because of that. Sometimes my friend in Michigan tells me about various victorian houses in her neighborhood that go on the market and my mouth waters because, after thirty years of home ownership here, I could buy about four of my favorite victorians there outright!

I just couldn't handle those winters ever again!

Re: real estate

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/05 at 15:27 (166857)

You are SO right. I agree that you could buy 4 houses most places with what one house costs in California, and that's a conservative estimate! I have looked at the cost of housing in California (and in Hawaii, where I grew up) because I'd like to eventually retire to someplace with a warm climate and beaches. But real estate prices in Hawaii are 4-6 times what they are here, and I think the same is true in San Diego.

On the other hand (playing devils advocate): With problem feet, would you really WANT a huge victorian home? You'd have to walk half a mile from your bedroom to the washing machine. You'd need a large staff to take care of your home. You'd have to lug your groceries and everything else up all those steps to the porch. I dunno... 'big' just doesn't do much for me these days. 'Upgraded' and 'safe' come before 'big', for me.

The winters in New Orleans aren't TOO bad, though we have weather around freezing for a week or two each year. But here, there is always the threat of hurricanes, the crime rate, and also the land is sinking at a measurable rate (which cracks foundations, routinely breaks pipes under the slab, etc).

You can't win! :)

Carole C

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/05 at 17:30 (166861)

Well, I just called to arrange for a substitute for me at the conference. Even though I feel like I let some people down in a big way, I feel much less worried now that I know it will be taken care of! They didn't seem to be aggravated by this at all.

Now, all I have to do is to stay home and get well. That, I can do!

Carole C

Kathy G on 1/10/05 at 17:59 (166863)

Smart idea, Carole. You have to take care of yourself. And you are so right about a big house. I'm very happy that my house is on one level and small. It makes living with PF and OA much easier.

Re: the cost of living. We are experiencing a similar situation in our family but the difference, in our case, is the difference between the cost of living in MA vs. that of NH. My son and daughter-in-law have enough money saved and qualify for a mortgage that would buy them a gorgeous home in southern NH, which is the most expensive area in NH, other than our seacoast. In MA, they can barely afford anything unless they move to western MA which would mean a lengthy commute for my son. It's quite discouraging for them.

My daughter lives in NH and took a job commuting to MA and needs to find another one because the traffic in MA is just horrible. She has to go through Boston to get to her job so it wasn't exactly the smartest move on her part but she thought the job would be good experience. The salary is good but when you couple the price of the commute with the high state income tax in MA, she isn't making very much, certainly not enough to justify the wear and tear on her and her car.

As for San Diego, Judy, my son has a few friends who moved there after college as does my daughter. Two of them have come back to NE because they just can't make it out there and at least one of them was making a good salary, by our standards.

As to weather, I've always been told that the ideal climate is in Arizona. I don't know if I'd like it. It gets awful hot in the summer, even if it is a dry heat. My theory about living in New England is that it makes you appreciate the summer even more and it's not boring. The weather is always changing!

Carole C in NOLA on 1/10/05 at 18:15 (166866)

The differences in cost of living from place to place seem so huge these days! I can certainly sympathize with your daughter.

Frank was making a huge salary in Connecticut, compared with what he made in the South, and couldn't figure out where it was all going. It's just that the cost of living was so much up there (taxes were high too). Also, I think that his friends up there were very materialistic and status-conscious. It's going to take him a while to rein in his spending now that he's living down here.

Arizona is probably really nice, but there is no ocean... plus my EX lives there! As far as I'm concerned, he and his parents can just have that whole state all to themselves. :D

I am so glad that I got a substitute for Thursday. It is taking a huge load off my mind. It is just impossible to 'will oneself into being well'. I know; I've been trying really hard to do that, and it hasn't been working one bit. But, I have enough sick leave to last until a week from Friday, so that should be more than enough.

Carole C

John H on 1/11/05 at 09:52 (166885)

I read the average price of a small apartment in NYC is approaching one million dollars.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/11/05 at 09:56 (166886)

And if that's just average... imagine what it would cost to get a NICE apt? LOL

I've seen the insides of some of those Manhattan condos on the Home and Garden Channel. They are so tiny. I like small living quarters, but more like 1000 square feet rather than 200 square feet. That is claustrophobic.

Carole C

John H on 1/11/05 at 09:56 (166887)

Having lived all over these United States the ideal climate is where you have good friends,good neighbors, a good job, and a good family life. I remember Cheyenne, Iceland, and Wichita to have met these requirements and they are not known for great meteorlogical conditions.The rest is just heat,cold,snow, or rain.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/11/05 at 09:58 (166888)

You should see me trying to drive on ice (or walk on ice, for that matter!). It's a dangerous proposition.

Carole C

Elyse B on 1/11/05 at 15:20 (166908)

I second that, you guys are clueless to how much it costs to live in NYC. We work to pay our rent. It is incredibly difficult.

Re: Virus 2005, Judy, and COLD

wendyn on 1/11/05 at 21:42 (166936)

Judy, I was also wondering about you and the rain in your area. Please keep us posted on how things are going.

We are expecting -40 C tomorrow with the windchill from a bad storm. -40C is about the same as -40 F.

I still have my annoying cough - I really need to get some sleep!!!!!!

JudyS on 1/12/05 at 11:20 (166961)

Hi Wendy,
40 degrees BELOW zero? Yuk! How does one fuction in that kind of cold?

Although San Diego did get a tremendous amount of rain - more than in recorded history - we didn't get hit as badly as Los Angeles did. And, lucky for us, our trees are still standing. A neighbor lost just one large branch across his drive which we went and cut up for him because he was out of town but boards some horses that the owners had to get to. It was wet and messy!
Carole will remember that trees go down around here because the ground can get too soft to anchor them so they just fall over. If anyone has been in San Diego, they may remember a beautiful stretch of highway 163 that goes through our Balboa Park. It is lined with hundreds of old Eucalyptus trees - trees that tend to habitually drop branchs or fall over. Yesterday three of them went down across the highway and one life was lost when a tree hit a car. City authorities have been taking out many of those trees in recent years and clearly will have to take out many more.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/12/05 at 11:45 (166963)

Judy, I remember those eucalyptus trees in Balboa Park well. How sad to hear that they keep falling over, and that someone was even killed! They are/were beautiful.

(As an aside - - Balboa Park is special for me, since I had my baby girl Christina in the pink Navy hospital in the park, in 1978. Also we had zoo passes and I used to take her in her stroller to the zoo almost every day, and as she got older we also frequented all the museums there... it is a wonderful park).

Glad to hear that your trees are still standing! Here in Louisiana it rains a lot and we often have problems with trees falling down, especially magnolia trees which have very shallow roots. I will never plant one.

My only large tree is a red swamp maple in the back yard, which is indigenous, and it hasn't shown any tendency to fall. I had it trimmed this year to keep it from getting too top-heavy, just in case.

Carole C

Suzanne D. on 1/12/05 at 17:29 (166981)

Judy, I am relieved that your trees and property are undamaged. I am so sorry for the plight of many due to the mudslides.

It seems that all of nature is in an upheaval right now. This is of very little consequence compared to tsunamis and mudslides, but we experienced temperatures today in the 70's and are supposed to be in the 20's by tomorrow night. We've had rain at some point every day since we went back to school after the Christmas break.

Take care,
Suzanne :)

Carole C in NOLA on 1/12/05 at 17:44 (166983)

It really does seem that all of nature is in an upheaval right now, just as you said, Suzanne!

The latest California storm is supposed to come through Louisiana tomorrow, as a cold front, and maybe that is the front coming your way too. Our TV meteorologists just don't know what to expect. I've heard anywhere from highs in the 40's to 70, and severe thunderstorms with sme4s, or not. Luckily I don't have to go anywhere, so I'll just stay at home.

Carole C

wendyn on 1/12/05 at 18:34 (166989)

Judy, yes - 40 below 0. Evidently that is the point roughly where celcius and farenheit meet. One goes outside very little in this temperature. The kids are not allowed out for recess or lunch. Most parents have to either drive their kids to school or at least wait with them in their cars for the school bus to show up. Bare skin freezes in minutes, and before long - weather like this will actually kill you.

It's not such a big deal for me - I can avoid going outside very much when it's like this. I work inside and I can park underground during the day.

It is a REALLY big deal for any poor soul who has to work outside like the meter readers, postal people, and construction workers. I have NO idea how they do it.