Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Question for Doctor regarding "Medrol Dose pack"

Posted by Dud on 1/11/05 at 15:17 (166906)

I suffered from PF for a year and a half and then in 06/2004 had ESWT on right foot, and in 09/2004 had ESWT on left foot. My feet are still very very sore. I can walk about a mile and then my feet feel very very 'crampy' and are sore all over - like I have run 3 consecutive marathons!! I also have this 'burning' sensation on the top of my right foot.

I went back on anti inflammatories in the last month and they seem to help just a little. I am now going to a new doctor and he has run a battery of tests, including MRIs on both feet, extensive nerve tests, and complete blood work, and X rays. The good news is that they are all normal. But that doesn't explain why my feet hurt.

He is prescribing me a 'Medrol Dose Pack' which I understand to be an oral steroid. I am reluctant to keep taking pills with no underlying problem. Is this medicine safe and with no real diagnosis should I be taking it - can it help heal the pain..or will it just mask the pain for awhile??

THANKS!!!

Re: Question for Doctor regarding "Medrol Dose pack"

Dr. Z on 1/11/05 at 21:18 (166930)

Hi,
I have a question that is very important how do you feet feel when not running? Is there any pain with physical examination? Ok more questions are coming to mind. If there is no pain on examination and your pain is only when running or running a higher levels then you need to take a look at your running shoes, your conditioning, type of running surface.

Re: Question for Doctor regarding "Medrol Dose pack"

Dud on 1/12/05 at 12:23 (166966)

Thanks for replying Dr. Z...

Let me clarify..all of my tests came back negative...and I have NO pain with examination. The doctor poked me very hard at the base of my heel on both feet and I have NO pain. However..my feet hurt just from WALKING - forget about running, I haven't run in nearly 2 years. And if I stand on my feet for a few minutes, I have a general soreness which is very very uncomfortable.

So to clarify..I have NOT run in nearly 2 years. Walking and standing make my feet very achy and very uncomfortable. It is probably a 4 out of 10 pain level.

I am a 31 year old male and before my feet trouble never had any problems. I used to run quite a bit. Anti inflammatories tend to help a little, but he is wanting to give me this Medrol pack and I am a little reluctant.

The frustrating thing is..from a medical standpoint, I have had 2 podiatrists run a battery of tests and they say that from their standpoint, I don't have any underlying medical problems. So why do my feet continue to hurt?

One of the doctors recommended that I try some very light jogging and continue stretching. Could I have some type of muscle atrophy in my feet. I have really babied them over the last 2 years - never running, and never going barefoot (even in the shower).

Since my tests are negative, would jogging be OK? And in your opinion is it worth trying this Medrol pack?

Sorry for the long reply but I am frustrated. BOth my doctors say I have them baffled and that is not what I want to hear.

THANKS!

Re: One more thing for the reply above

Dud on 1/12/05 at 12:28 (166967)

I have no heel pain in the mornings. I can walk on my toes and can do most stretching with no pain. It is the wierdest thing - from a medical standpoint I am healthy, but I still have pain after walking and standing.

Re: Any comment Dr. Z??? Thanks!!!

Dud on 1/14/05 at 14:06 (167142)

N/M