Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

nerve entrapment

Posted by john/m buko on 1/11/05 at 19:20 (166922)

what is best treatments. my dr said i should get a sit down job. i currently work on concrete floors any suggestions? dr. says i beyond taping, nite splints. i have had 6 injections in both feet in 2004 3was in april2004 three in oct 2004. none of them helped shots were for plantar fasciitis and now i have a nerve traped in left heel. open for all suggestions

Re: nerve entrapment

Dr. Wishnie on 1/12/05 at 20:51 (167002)

Dear John:

If you have a nerve entrapment, ESWT would not be the answer. However, there is a procedure called cryosurgery which can help. This procedure is usually done in the office and is minimally invasive. The nerve ending is freezed. A thin probe is entered into the site (a local anesthetic is used) and a ball of liquid nitrogen is introduced into the area of pain. It takes six minutes and you are able to walk immediately. You only need a band-aid afterwards and can wear your regular shoes and you can then resume regular acitivities. I can get you more information if you like. I am only the second podiatrist in NJ that is certified in this. Just let me know.

Dr. Wishnie
Piscataway, NJ

Dr. Z on 1/13/05 at 09:29 (167033)

Hi Dr. Wishnie
I agree with Dr. Wishnie ESWT shouldn't be used for nerve entrapment. IF you plantar fasciosis that hasn't responded to conversative treatment with over six months of pain duration then ESWT should be considered. Give the cryotherapy a look if you have sensory nerve problems. I do recommend Dr. Wishnie

john/m buko on 1/13/05 at 10:43 (167040)

yes DR WISHNE i am very interested cryosurgery. our there any drs that yoy know of that are qaulified in norheastern oh? does insurance cover this? if not what is the normal cost? what is the sucess rate?

john/m buko on 1/13/05 at 10:45 (167041)

tks for your response. i appreciate it

Dr. Wishnie on 1/14/05 at 17:49 (167178)

Hi John,

Most insurances do cover it. I am only one of two docs in NJ that performs this. My private e-mail is (email removed) and if you visit my web site, stopfootpainfast.com you can find info on this procedue (go to specialties and click on new procedures). The success rate is pretty high being about 80-90 percent.

Dr. Z on 1/14/05 at 18:22 (167183)

Dr. Wishnie,

Would you please explain cryotherapy and the treatment of Tarsal Tunnel syndrome. Cryotherapy seems to be a potential exciting treatment for this
painful, disabiliting condition. We have a complete section for TTS and many posters that are searching for any information and help that you may be able to give.

I will start a new thread so that this new information will be read by the many TTS posters Thanks. DRZ

Dr. Wishnie on 1/15/05 at 11:39 (167255)

Cryotherapy is very exciting for the treatment of tarsal tunnel syndrome. The treatment for tarsal tunnel syndrome consists of steroid injections, orthotics, physical therapy, rest and sometimes immobilization. If this does not work, then surgery to release the tunnel is performed. The problem with this is that there is a very high recurrence rate. Scar tissue can form into the tunnel, thus entrapping the nerve again. Cryotherapy stops the nerve from receiving its pain signal while at the same time still functions to innervate the muscles. Cryotherapy has been around for over forty years and now is approved for various foot malodies. To me, it is now the treatment of choice over surgery. Surgery has multiple complications including the formation of scar tissue as mentioned above. I would be glad to answer any questions that people may have. Sincerely, Dr. Wishnie