Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Anyone have experience with Topamax?

Posted by Shell D. on 1/12/05 at 12:18 (166965)

I'm just curious to know if anyone here on the boards has any experience with the medication Topamax? My neurologist prescriped it for my migraines. I started taking it last week,, 25 mg, then just increased it to 50 mg last night. I will stay on that dose for a week, then increase it to 75 mg for a week, then increase to 100 mg and stay on that dose providing I can tolerate it.

It's actually an anti-seizure medication that's FDA approved for migraine headaches as well. I have noticed a few minor side affects, nothing too serious. If it will get rid of the 3-5 day migraines, it's well worth it.

Just wanting to see if anyone here has taken it before.

Thanks.

Re: Anyone have experience with Topamax?

Kathy G on 1/13/05 at 09:50 (167036)

I haven't taken it, Shell, but I know it's very similar to Neurontin. I just want to tell you how sorry I am that you have been experiencing that migraines that last that long. Mine usually last only a day or so although the day after, I'm very tired. One of the good things about menopause is that mine have almost disappeared but I can only imagine how awful it is to have one last up to five days.

I know that Neurontin and Topamax are being used for migraines, bipolar disorder and many nerve-related conditions and with great success. It's always great with a medication comes out and they discover all these neat positive side effects because originally it was just given for seizures.

I hope it works for you!

Re: Anyone have experience with Topamax?

Shell D. on 1/13/05 at 10:18 (167039)

Thank you Kathy for your response. Several months ago I took Neurontin for Fibromyalgia and now that I think about it, my migraines weren't as bad at that time. Makes me wonder if it was the Neurontin that was helping. I didn't think about it at the time. The things we learn as we go along........Thanks again.