Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Coma Cure, for RSD ???

Posted by BrianG on 1/13/05 at 22:25 (167087)

I did a search, but found only one post that mentioned the 'Coma Cure', back in April of this year, by Max K. Now that there is a little more information available, I'm just wondering if anyone is looking into this. Briefly, it is a treatment for RSD. Ketamine is injected into the spinal column, breaking the path of the pain, from the feet, to the brain. I am also posting this at the TTS forum, just in case people don't visit both forums.

Good Luck,
Brian

Cut & pasted from the Internet:

Subject: Coma cure, for RSD
RSD - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy
December 7, 2004

It's being called a medical miracle: A revolutionary new cure for pain. One man says the radical treatment changed his life and we do mean 'radical.' But patients who've tried it say it's worth the risk. 'The most painful part of my day is putting on my sock,' said Dan Defilippo.
He survived a car crash that killed four of his friends. He was left with extreme pain. Even stepping on a poppy seed was excruciating. 'The pain ran up the back of my leg, to my head, and I fell to the floor, and blacked out from the pain.'

14-year-old Lindsay Wurtenberg got bitten by a spider, and mysteriously ended up with such crippling pain, she needed a wheelchair. 'It just kept getting worse and worse and worse every week.' Lindsay and Dan have RSD - Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy. An injury sends the nervous system out of control, triggering pain signals that are out of proportion to reality.
'That injury changes the genetics of the spinal cord,' said Dr. Robert Schwartzman.
A revolutionary treatment changed Dan and Linday's lives. They traveled to Germany, where doctors used huge amounts of the anesthetic ketamine to put them into a coma for five days.

'The last thing I remember them saying was, have a nice dream. For me it felt like two minutes. The next thing I know I was waking up.' The only American doctor working with the German team says the anesthetic works wonders.
'What we're doing is changing your spinal cord back to normal. The downside is yes, it's very risky,' said Dr. Schwartman. Those risks include blood clots in the lung and infections from catheters. But Lindsay's mother has no doubts about the so-called 'coma cure'. Especially after watching her daughter head out to a school dance.
For more information click here http://www.abcnews.go.com

Re: Coma Cure, for RSD ???

Ed Davis, DPM on 1/14/05 at 13:59 (167140)

Brian,
This is interesting. A few years ago, a group of American anesthesiologists were using general anesthesia as means to get patients through withdrawal symptoms from drug addiction. One dilemna is that the general anesthesia had to be maintained for a fairly long period of time.

Ed

Elaine W. on 5/21/05 at 16:44 (175437)

Hello. My daughter is Lindsay, mentioned above. The ketamine was not injected into the spinal cord. It was infused through a central venous catheter in her neck. I have not yet heard about it being injected into the spinal cord. Where did you see that?

Frances.G on 11/28/05 at 12:17 (188330)

How has your daughter been since the procedure? Could you please let me know the name of the doctor who performs this procedure? Thank you so much.
personareo3 at yahoo.com