Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

EPF with atypical PF

Posted by Ejack on 1/17/05 at 13:58 (167405)

I am having EPF soon. I have no pain in the morning, just a dull aching pain throughout the day, and my calves are never tight. I wonder if their is anyone that shares my PF symptons and has had the EPF procedure and found that it has decreased your pain? I hear a lot of good tips and suggestions on this website and think everyone contributing is very knowledgable about heel pain. Thanks for your help

Re: EPF with atypical PF

SteveG on 1/17/05 at 16:00 (167415)

The EPF is a serious move. How long have you had PF? Have you had ESWT? Once of doctors on the board claimed that the success rate with EPF is not as high for people that don't have the classic symptoms - first step pain. I am not saying you should not have it, but I would explore all other avenues before I let 'em cut my feet

Ejack on 1/17/05 at 17:58 (167422)

Thank you steve. Yes I have has ESWT which I found to be disapointing. I've had PF for 2 years, done all the conservative treatment methods--the only thing that I have not tried is physical therapy. I am considering canceling my surgery dates and trying PT for a couple months. If it were a possiblity that PF sufferers without classic symptons could benefit from EPF--I would go for it. But, like everything else I've tried, I think it is probably wishful thinking. It makes me happy to read about people that are experiencing improvment.

Dr.Wishnie on 1/17/05 at 19:45 (167425)

You should try the PT. After that, I would look into cryotherapy before EPF since it is minimally invasive without complications. I wish you the best.

John H on 1/18/05 at 09:25 (167455)

I second Steve's opinion on EPF. That should be absolutely the last resort. There can be some serious irreversable downsides to this as with any surgery.

John H on 1/18/05 at 09:30 (167456)

Ejack from the tone of your post it does not sound like you have serious pain but enough to bother your daily activities. You sound like someone who could be cured wtih standard care for PF so do not rush into surgery. Most PF patients (90%) are cured by standard care within one year of onset. Some people become significantly worse after surgery so make sure you give this time and come up with a course of treatment you can follow for a year before you even consider surgery. What is you pain level on a scale of 1-10?

ElishaJack on 1/18/05 at 13:53 (167476)

Thank you everyone, you all have very important suggestions that I am considering. I am going to try physical therapy first, because for the past few days I've been doing some new exercises--more than the typical calf stretch--and I can already feel my fascia getting stronger. Today I'm having a 'good day' meaning my feet aren't burning. I'm not sure about everyone else, but it's much easier to be rational when not feeling pain.

ElishaJ on 1/18/05 at 14:01 (167478)

John, thank you for your concern. My pain level can be light (if I never walk around). Once I am on my feet for more than 10-15 minutes it will shoot up to about a 6 out of 10. I've been wearing splints for a year, icing my feet, taking Ibruprofen, doing light strething, wearing orthotics, I had ESTW....pretty much everything besides physical therapy. Rest and Ibruprofen seemed to be the only things that effect the pain. I think you are right though, I definitely need to try all routes before EPF--even PT.

Place on 1/18/05 at 18:19 (167492)

I do not have typical pain. I had the EPF done on my left foot 11 months ago,and have yet to get any reduction in pain. In the last month, my feet have gotten better due to a pair of clogs I am wearing. When I walk, a have to scrunch my toes under my feet just to keep them on. this little exercize I do every step, I believe, has made the difference. now, I bearly notice that I have pain with my teaching job. I know many have said that it is due to weak feet, and perhaps when I did do PT, it was not enough. Just some thoughts...

Robert J on 1/18/05 at 19:02 (167496)

I'd like to reinforce what Place said about physicial thereapy: 'perhaps when I did PT, it was not enough.'

That was my experience exactly.I tried PT courses twice during my 2.5 years of atypical PF, and neither of them helped. Eventually I started my own regime of exercises which started at a low level but progressed steadily to a much more substantial level. And it helped very much.

I think those of us who have atypical symptons and are good 'resters' often end up with seriously weak foot structures, and that leads to a vicious cycle of pain/rest/more pain/more rest.

I would certainly try a PT course, and be very serious about it, before I would consider surgery. Good luck with it.

john h on 1/19/05 at 18:00 (167555)

Elisha if you have had PF for less than a year and get after it now by reading all you can on this board you have an excellent chance of a cure. Just do not get overly aggressive when you start feeling better.

Heather M on 4/06/05 at 14:56 (172719)

Robert, what type of PT did you do? I've have had mild PF for about 8 years and severe for about 1 1/2 with TTS. I've done orthodics, PT and cortizone. I don't think I got a good run with my PT and would love some suggestions. My pain is slowly getting worse and I really don't want to do the surgeries.....Thanks