Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Orthodics? or Surgery

Posted by Marilyn D. on 1/17/05 at 17:39 (167421)

Hi, I have recenty been diagnosed with PF. I am glad it has a name, because of all the pain I have experienced in the last few years, I never knew what to call it. I have wearing orthodics everyday for 1 year now, and I feel that they have helped me a lot with my high arch. I continue to have a tremendous amount of heel pain, and now it looks as though I may have to have surgery. I have a new doctor because of Insurance issues, and he has suggested one last thing before we schedule surgery. Another new pair of orthodics with a grove down the length for the ligament to cradle in. Does anyone out there have these? and if so, have they helped? My current orthodics press hard on the ligament in one spot, which at times is very painful. I am getting ready to schedule surgery, as I can't stand the pain anymore. I have a walking job, and every step reminds me that I don't want to walk anymore. Any Help would be appreciated. Thanks M

Re: New Orthodics? or Surgery

Dr.Wishnie on 1/17/05 at 19:48 (167426)

For a very high arch foot, I incorporate the plantar fascial groove into the orthotics. Usually, I do not make a rigid orthotic for this type of foot. It is a good idea. I sometimes take the patient's orthotic and make a temporary groove out of felt before having the patient purchase a new orthotic.

Richard, C.Ped on 1/18/05 at 07:52 (167444)

One of the many off loading tricks of the trade. I hope it works well for you. I would suggest trying to find a C.Ped in your area to discuss things that can be done to avoid surgery.

Marilyn D. on 1/18/05 at 10:53 (167460)

Hi, I have no idea what a C.Ped is. Can you give me more information on this? M

Marilyn D. on 1/18/05 at 10:54 (167461)

Sorry, I just saw what one is. I just didn't know the short lingo for it. Thx.

Dr. Z on 1/18/05 at 21:29 (167513)

Could this adjustment be made WITHOUT a new pair of orthosis. I don't have much experience with this type of adjustment but I think it can be done, Really not sure of the results

Richard, C.Ped on 1/19/05 at 07:47 (167518)

Dr. Z,
Yes, I think this could be done without having to get a new pair. If I or another C.Ped were to do it, I would like to have an RX from the doc before I did any work.

It will also depend on the material used as to how much time will be involved. A cool trick would be to draw on the foot with lipstick and have her step on the orthosis inside her shoe. This will shoe exactly where the offloading needs to be.