Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post tarsal tunnel surgery

Posted by JG on 1/17/05 at 18:15 (167424)

I had tarsal tunnel surgery on my left foot on Dec. 28, 2004. The doctor removed an extra muscle belly and a varicose vein that was wrapped around my nerve. My staples were removed on Jan. 14th. The doctor thinks the surgery was a success. I can walk short distances without help. I also leave my compression stocking on during the day. The doctor originally told me I would have immediate relief from the numbness and the burning sensations. Now he is saying it might take about 4 months for those symptoms to go away. Can anyone tell me when their symptoms went away? Am I expecting too much too soon? I need to have the surgery performed on my right foot, but I want to make sure the left foot surgery was successful first. Any help would be much appreciated.

Re: post tarsal tunnel surgery

cindyp on 1/17/05 at 19:55 (167429)

each person is different i had twinges for months. take your time.

Re: I had surgery on the same foot / same day

Buck on 1/18/05 at 07:49 (167442)

And I have had some moments when the right foot is burning while the left foot was calm. This is new, and in the 2 yrs i have had this, both feet had always reacted the same and at the same time.

I began to walk more this weekend without the crutches and though no pain initially, I did have both feet burning later in the evening.

Have backed off and tried to ice it more to see if i can get back to the some occasions without my left not hurting while my right does.

I have read that the time on this can be months as the nerves only regenerate about 1mm a day. Plus as these nerves regenerate we can have similiar pain to the pain we had before.

I am still hopeful, but a bit dissapointed in the new pain. Not sure if I've had scar tissue develop or if I am expecting too much too soon.

Re: I had surgery on the same foot / same day

pango on 1/18/05 at 08:11 (167447)

I am 21 days after surgery and must admit am very disappointed, My foot is 5x as bad now as it was before the surgery, Iv'e lost all feeling in the entire heel of my foot which is driving me crazy (anyone else loose this?)I e-mailed one of the best doctor's (Dellon) and he replied that this wasn't a usual post operative condition, So what did my surgeon do to my heel? I was told by him it could take 1 year to 18 months for the foot to feel normal, But that I may never recover full feeling in my heel, I'm not concerned about the numbness in toes and ball of foot area, I know that will regenerate (hopeful), But the heel condition wasn't there before surgery,Sorry about the doom and gloom, But just giving my experiance

Re: my doc mentioned that some of his patients notice

Buck on 1/18/05 at 08:17 (167448)

a portion of the heel goes numb. It is difficult to get into this area when doing multiple releases and not hurt some of the nerves there.

I was told that this typically does repair itself going from about the size of a quarter and decreasing from there.

I did not notice this.

pango on 1/18/05 at 08:26 (167450)

Mine is the size of the entire heel and a little more

Geri on 1/18/05 at 10:21 (167458)

I'm 15 mos. post op. My heel is still mostly numb and what is not can be painfull if I walk to much. I still have a lot of pain in my arch, ball of foot and big toe. I get a little better each month. I am probably at 60 percent of normal. It has been a slow process for me. I hope it is quicker for all of you, but be patient. There are many successful tts surgery's but they all say it took a long time and patience is difficult when you had it 'fixed' and it takes so many turns. I have developed a life around my foot. If you are interested in the future I will be happy to give you some tips for mobility when you are up walking.

skully on 2/23/05 at 23:41 (169764)

I haven't even had the surgery and the bottom of my heel is numb- it has been a long time. My pain is all right around my ankle - sometimes its the whole foot and goes up my leg, but I've had a lot of success wearing the lidoderm patches in strips, one going down my tarsal tunnel area, and the other following a path around the top of my ankle, under the other side, to the back. Looks like a stirup, lol, but I've had better luck with this than anything.