Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Shock Wave Therapy

Posted by Barbara N on 1/18/05 at 05:59 (167440)

I had a treatment of the high energy Shock Wave Therapy on Sep. 29th on my right heel. It is now Jan. 18th, and I am not in good shape yet. I can only take one moderate walk with dogs per day, and still limping. I am prone to painful flare-ups and have to be extremely careful. On those days I just have to rest. I am using ice every evenng to see if that will help. Do you think that there is still time for this treatment to be successful for me? My Podiatrist really can't help much, and we are just givng it more time.(I cannot take cortisone.)

Re: Shock Wave Therapy

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/18/05 at 07:56 (167446)

Hi Barbara N.
IT can take weeks, months for resolution of heel paiw with ESWT. Rest, No bare feet, use the plantar fascia stretch, taping are all helpful during this period of healing.

jeannie m on 1/24/05 at 14:43 (167830)

my friend and I both had eswt on september 16th and we are no better. My doctor from the new england baptist hopital has said he does not think I will get better and as all treatment has been exhausted that surgery would be the next step. I said I would wait until the year mark which is in june before i made any decision . i live in daily pain and my feet NEVER feel good. My hope is fading away.

Dr. Wishnie on 1/24/05 at 21:25 (167862)

Dear Barbara:

I have done hundreds of ESWTs. Let me reassure you. It can take six months for it to work. You can be in pain for five months and at the six month mark you start feeling better. You should be applying heat 2-3 times a day on the heel for 20 min. each time (heating pad, not a Jacuzzi) and stretch. Heat is necessary to increase the blood flow. Hang in there. Dr. Wishnie