Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Bunion treatment

Posted by Felicity on 1/20/05 at 09:56 (167596)

I do not want sugery! The problem is worse on one foot, can you get feet straightners or splints? Iv been refered to a foot doctor but i would like to know if i have a good chance of sorting it out without surgery!!

Re: Bunion treatment

BlisterBabe on 1/20/05 at 11:57 (167611)

I have bunions too, and the time will come where I have to make the same decision. I have heard the surgery is quite painful. Some I know who have had the surgery say its well worth it. If I don't get the surgery, I know the condition will continue to worsen.

My mother's feet are so much worse than mine, and her mother's feet...well, i can't even describe it. She can barely walk her feet have become so deformed with her bunions. I know I don't want to live like that.

From what I understand, even after surgery, the joint can start deforming again. I think I will definitely have the surgery when the time is right. I need to wait until my children are much older, and don't rely on me so much, as I will be out of commission for quite awhile.

Meatime, I make sure and buy proper shoes in wide width, and I found these neat 'gel' inserts that you place between your toes. Its just a 'spacer', but it is comfortable, and I think they do help.

Good luck!

Re: Bunion treatment

Richard, C.Ped on 1/21/05 at 11:57 (167684)

The best thing to do with bunions is to support the first met head to help relieve pressure. Orthotics will help, but will not reverse the condition. Straightners or splints will not reverse them either. My wife has them, so I know what you are going through.