Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Your Favorite Era To Live In - Started by Linda V. - moved to SS board

Posted by Moderator on 1/20/05 at 10:22 (167601)

If you could choose, what era do you think you would like to live in? Past, present, or future? I think maybe I would have liked to live in the 'little house on the prairie' time. Families were closer, neighbors worked together....yes, hard work, shorter lifespan, i know...or else maybe in the flapper-girl era. My husband chose the gilded age.

Response from Dorothy 1/20/05:
Between 1900 and just before WWI began.

Response from Kathy G 1/20/05:
Good question, Linda. We should move the discussion over to the Social Board. I'll have to think about it but I kind of like right now. I'll give my reasons later, on that board. Scott likes us to keep this board more 'medical' and stick to treatments, etc.

Re: Your Favorite Era To Live In - Started by Linda V. - moved to SS board

marie on 1/20/05 at 19:48 (167640)

Right now is cool. I say that because every period of time has it's high and low moments so I just tend to go with the flow. If it was another time period in the past I wouldn't be yaking with ya'll.

best wishes marie

Dorothy on 1/21/05 at 00:31 (167654)

I like your answer better than mine, Marie. Although I did love the hats in my 'favorite' era...and the clothes. What I long for is reliable time travel...

Kathy G on 1/21/05 at 10:24 (167666)

I think our generation has witnessed and benefited from advances in technology that, I believe, are unprecedented. We recently were having a discussion about this and I had my family in hysterics trying to compare my life at fifty-five with my mother's at the same age. What I was trying to say and hope I can express here is that while she, born in 1915, saw many changes, I at fifty-five have seen far more changes. My life is so much better than hers was due to the changes in household appliances, food availability, etc. Medical technolgy is evolving at an unbelievable rate. Life expectancy has risen and the quality of that life has improved.

We've seen some terrible tragedies but so have past generations. Man is able to triumph over tragey and hopefully learn something from it.

We've come such a long way in human rights and have become so much more educated about diversity. Women don't have to struggle as much as they used to in order to be treated equally. We still have a long way to go but we've made so much progress.

All in all, I really like this era and I'm glad I'm fortunate enough to experience it. And Dorothy, I'd look like an idiot in those hats of bygone days. My daughter and I still have fun when we go to the hat department and I try on hats, all of which look ridiculous on me! And as to me wearing a long skirt.....I can fall over a piece of dust while wearing a pair of jeans!

Richard, C.Ped on 1/21/05 at 11:10 (167676)

Looking at old pictures that my grand mother had, I would think that the 40's would be kinda nice (minus the war and all). The clothes were stylish and it seemed like it was more 'innocent' than these days.

John H on 1/21/05 at 11:50 (167680)

Richard except for certain food rationing, gas rationing, tire rationing, a lack of cars, and not very much sex going on the 40's were great. No drugs but everyone seemed to smoke. Not much drinking by the underage and if any underage girl got pregnant I never saw her or heard about her. Today people would probably find us 40's highschool people dull but we seemed to have a good time. I think some of us late 40's and 50's people went crazy in the 60's. We were finally unleashed.

Re: Sorry about that

Linda V on 1/21/05 at 17:13 (167693)

Sorry I originally posted this on a different message board. I know better, I just thought I had clicked on the Social Support board. Will pay more attention next time. I also think I would have liked to be a southern belle on a plantation...and yes, my favorite movie of all time IS Gone with The Wind.

JudyS on 1/22/05 at 11:05 (167711)

Ah Linda I am with you - Gone With The Wind will always be my favorite.

But I think If I could live in a different time it would be that where the pioneer families were growing in to the West. Women had to work just as hard as their men and had so much more input than their Victorian counterparts. And the work really produced tangible and satisfying results - like making bread or simply sweeping a pine floor.

On the other hand........living without a washer and dryer or hot running water would do me in!

Kathy G on 1/22/05 at 11:26 (167713)

You folks are lucky because you've never seen me :) but I wear jeans and sweaters in the winter and khakis and tee shirts in the summer. Back when I worked, I did wear skirts but they were always pretty plain. I guess I like classic clothes. And it's not unusual for me to buy four identical garments that I like in four different colors. It just makes life easier. I have very short hair and the only earrings I wear are diamond ear studs or pearls. I do wear makeup but let's just say I'm not exactly a girlish girl.

But when it comes to clothes, you know what movie I thought had the neatest clothes? 'The King and I!' I just think it would be so much fun to whirl around the floor with Yul Brenner to 'Shall we Dance?' I must have an inner 'girl' hidden inside of me. And, I also loved the clothes in 'Gone with the Wind.'

Re: Gone with the Wind

Carole C in NOLA on 1/22/05 at 16:45 (167722)

Judy, I'm with you. I loved Gone with the Wind, but I would not like living without a washer and dryer!

A couple of years ago I took my brother on one of the plantation tours and was astounded at how awful the lives of even the plantation owners were, without modern technology! No A/C, for one thing. Ugh.

Carole C

Dorothy on 1/22/05 at 17:11 (167727)

You're a hoop skirt afficianado. You could wear jeans and sweaters and khakis and tee shirts and other stuff, too, UNDER the hoop skirts. However, riding a bike, riding on the subway, taking a taxi, or going sledding - for a few examples - would be difficult; funny, but difficult.

Dorothy on 1/22/05 at 17:12 (167728)

Ever read Giants in the Earth? Ever read The Immigrants series? Just a couple of examples...

Dorothy on 1/22/05 at 17:38 (167729)

I loved Gone with the Wind, too, although I admit to feeling some guilt about that, as I grew more aware of how African-Americans would experience it. I grew up in the era when the movie would come around to theatres periodically - I think it was every seven years - and it was a major event when it came to town. As children in our family, we saw it every time it came around with our mother, whose favorite movie and book it was. I read the book one summer when I was about eleven. By the time I got into high school, the movie was 'coming around' for its last periodic theatre showing. My girlfriends and I sat in the balcony of the very beautiful, elaborate and ornate theatre still in existence then, and we all bought Clark bars (in honor of Mr. Gable)and loaded up on Kleenex. What a marvelous experience going to movies used to be. Much later in life when the miracle of the videocassette and rental movies (what an amazing thing that was for movie lovers!)came to be, we rented it. What a huge disappointment. Even worse were the television broadcasts of the movie - with commercials! - that occurred when Ted Turner bought all of the MGM movies. What heresy! Gone with the Wind DEMANDS a big screen (and a fine and fancy theatre, too, but that's all - gone with the wind....) I can't help it; I love the movie and book - but I have never gotten over getting so daggone annoyed - nay, angry! - with Scarlett O'Hara. What fools these mortals be ..... oh, wait; that's Shakespeare, not Margaret Mitchell. :-)

Isn't it hard to recall now the magic that the VCR brought? Think about it - we used to have to WAIT to see a movie in the theatre and then never see it again, unless it returned to the theatre or - later - might possibly be shown on late-night movies on TV. What a development recorded movies for home viewing has been.

john h on 1/22/05 at 17:42 (167730)

The girls in Siam (Thailand) all wear wraps. You need a very very tiny figure to wear these well and so they do.

john h on 1/22/05 at 17:46 (167731)

Judy as I recall when I got married and for several years we had no washer,dryer, or dish washer. The first dish washer I bought was on wheels and you would roll it up to the sink and attach it to the sink by screwing on the hose. My wife did not like the dish washer at first (why would she when she had me?). We bought a used dryer before we bought a washer. Do not ask me why? I cannot remember.

Carole C in NOLA on 1/22/05 at 20:06 (167741)

But the fact that Scarlett was so foolish, made her seem so human. 'Where will I go? What will I do?' DUH!!! lol But her lack of savoir faire is so much more human than if she had been Ms Perfection.

You are so right about the big screen. Even today's films sometimes benefit so much from being seen in the theater. Frank and I saw Van Helsing in the theater, and the special effects blew me away... I loved it. THEN we saw it on DVD, and the special effects were less visible. The movie seemed trivial and the acting seemed shallow; not even worth watching. Besides, Hugh Jackman doesn't look nearly as good on DVD. :)

Frank and I were talking about a Oliver Stone's 'JFK' this afternoon, and he found out I haven't seen it. If the video store has a copy, we plan to watch it tonight! No delayed gratification for us. It will be even better when cable TV's 'video on demand' can offer every video ever made. Just you wait - - one of these days! :)

Carole C

JudyS on 1/22/05 at 21:21 (167745)

Kathy it sounds like your wardrobe is identical to mine! Yes, I buy four or five of the same shirt in different colors! And jeans, jeans jeans! It makes life a bunch easier and I don't have anywhere to wear nicer clothes anyway!

And it's not true that we're lucky in not ever having seen you! That's why Scott has a nice little picture page here for us!