Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

stress fractures

Posted by SR on 1/21/05 at 09:06 (167661)

I know this is a site for people who are plagued by plantar fascitis but I wanted to know if anyone has or has had stress fractures in the tibia bones. I am so depressed as it has severly impacted my fitness goals. Anyone know of miracle cures out there??

Re: stress fractures

SR on 1/21/05 at 09:20 (167662)

I don't know why my last message didn't post but I was wondering if anyone has experience or has experience with stress fractures in the tibia bone. I had it on both of my legs but one of them refuses to heal.. it's been really depressing!
Anyone know of miracle cures, etc???

Kathy G on 1/21/05 at 10:30 (167667)

SR,

If you repost your message on the Treatment Board, you may get more responses. I personally don't know much about stress fractures although my daughter had one in her tibia when she was in junior high school. She spent a few weeks on crutches and was fine after that. Children have an amazing capacity to heal that most of us older people don't have so it isn't a fair comparison. You could also try posting on the Ask the Doctors Board although all these Boards deal primarily with foot problems.

Does your doctor think your feet are involved?

I hope you find some answers and feel better soon.

Tina H on 1/23/05 at 09:40 (167751)

SR- I had a stress fracture in my tibia once from too much running and hockey. It was discovered accidently, while having my knees evaluated. Had to stop running and I remember taking calcium and uping the dairy products. Sorry, it was about 10 years ago and that's all I remember.
It's seemed to heal fine with time. Tina

Kathy G on 1/23/05 at 11:10 (167753)

My daughter got it during field hockey season, too. She was already taking calcium so that, along with the rest, must have helped her.

Tina H on 1/24/05 at 06:35 (167790)

Kathy, Where does your daughter play field hockey? It's agreat sport. I played for 25 years and now coach. It can be a dangerous sport, but in all of those 25 years, and most years I played year round, I only had the broken tibia and a broken nose. Did she get the broken tibia from getting hit in the leg? Tina

John H on 1/24/05 at 09:24 (167802)

When I was in high school all the girls and boys had gym class either 3 or 5 times a week. The girls when the weather was warm often played field hockey. They wore blue uniforms with what I would call bloomer pants. Do high schools even have gym anymore?

Tina H on 1/24/05 at 10:03 (167806)

Hello John, My high school kids do have Gym. My middle school daughter has it everyday for half of the school year and my son in HS has it 2 or 3 times a week all year long. Thankfully, no more required uniforms!! That was the worst part of gym class for me when I was growing up, very unflattering!! :/

Kathy G on 1/24/05 at 10:33 (167809)

Tina,

My daughter played for four years for our small high school in southern NH. They won only a couple of games during the entire four years. They were just awful. And she wasn't very good, either. But she had such a wonderful attitude; she was always upbeat, never missed a practice and never got down. As she matured, I like to think she was a positive influence on the younger girls who joined the team. Her idea was that it was a game and you should have fun and hey, if you didn't win, it wasn't the end of the world!

John, when she played field hockey, they had the cutest uniforms: short navy plaid pleated skirts and navy or white polo shirts. Lots of boys would come to watch the games and I don't think it was because they were crazy about field hockey! :) The outfits were becoming on someone slim like my daughter but I always felt bad for the heavier girls because any woman can tell you that if you're at all heavy, you shouldn't wear a pleated skirt.

As for gym uniforms, they didn't have them for either of my children or for that matter, back when I was in school. You want to hear something stupid? When I was in fifth grade and gym class became madatory, one of their easiest ways around it apparently was to have us play baseball. Because I'm monocular, I got hit by the ball twice because I was using the wrong eye when the ball came at me or was pitched to me. The school insurance company wouldn't allow me to take gym after that, even though I never even had to go to the doctor for either injury. From that day on, I wasn't allowed to play baseball or kickball, which I was really good at, even at recess. They wouldn't even let me be a designated runner and I was extremely fast.

When I reached high school, my opthamologist, an excellent doctor, still thought I would be at risk if by chance, I saw double when I was, say, climbing ropes, so I never took phys ed. It didn't matter that as I aged, I became much more adept at turning the eyes on and off appopriately and hardly ever saw double.

It's a good thing I was naturally active because you talk about setting someone up to be inactive and possibly overweight. I've since asked several doctors if they think my muscle spasms and assorted physical maladies could be due to the fact that I didn't have phy ed but since I was an avid swimmer and cyclist, plus I walked a great deal, not one of them thinks it contriubted. I still wonder about it, though.

John H on 1/24/05 at 12:55 (167822)

Well Kathy your were 'fast' so you would have been on my list.

John H on 1/24/05 at 12:59 (167825)

Glad to hear there are places that still have mandatory gym for both sexes. I was looking at my eighth grade class picture this week and every one in the class looked skinny. No one took a bus to school in my school (do not know why) so we all walked. We all played sports at recess and on a scheduled basis in gym. We had teams that played all sorts of sports even after school hours and few of us had TV to sit around and watch.

Kathy G on 1/24/05 at 16:55 (167841)

John,

I think we're talking about a different kind of 'fast!' :)