Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Medtronics Pain Web Site

Posted by john h on 1/22/05 at 09:51 (167709)

Following is the website for Medtronics who provide implantable devices for pain control. I watched Jerry Lewis last night who was telling his story of 30 years of chronic pain and how he is now pain free. Some good information here especially for back/leg pain and neuropathy:

Re: Medtronics Pain Web Site

john h on 1/22/05 at 09:53 (167710)

Forgot to add that Medicare and most insurance cover their procedures. Also listed are Doctors in your area.

Linda V on 1/22/05 at 12:42 (167715)

Thats great info I will pass along to my brother, who is surely a candidate but I think he is afraid to try it. I also saw Jerry Lewis talk about how this device changed his life. Amazing.

Tammie on 1/24/05 at 15:38 (167834)

I have this same device implanted for the pain from rsd. The battery pack is implanted in my tummy and they try to get the leads to cover the pain in my foot. Same exact device from medtronics. My insurance did cover it. I did have to have a exam by a phycologist tho to see if I would be a good canidate for it as i guess some are not. Do to some bodies possible rejection?

When I had this implanted I thought it was going to be a answer to my prayers and it did help some but unfortuantly for me it was not the best answer as later i found out feet are the hardest area to get coverage for for pain.I still have it in . In fact my battery pack has flipped over and out of its pouch and I am waiting now for my appt. with Dr. to decide if we will do another revision to see if we can get more coverage with leads on foot and reposition battery pack (which he will put in a different area). FYI any that may decide to try Dr. informed me a bit to late that the reason my battery pack flipped is that often planting in tummiesdoes this do to weight loss after implants, and or improper use or just accidently they flip.He does not recomend them there . My medrontic rep did tho as she felt it would be easier for me to reach it as to turn it on or off or adjust you must be able to reach it well!. Just thought I might give a bit of FYI

john h on 1/24/05 at 17:55 (167848)

Always good to hear from someone who has had personal experience. Did you ever discuss the pain pump with your Doctor. I think Brian said that might be his next step.

Re: Tammie...

Suzanne D. on 1/25/05 at 19:52 (167925)

Hi, Tammie! It's always good to see a post from you. I'm sorry you're still struggling with such pain. I see you still have your caring attitude in trying to help others from your experiences.

How are your son and daughter? Is he still in college? I imagine your daughter is about half-way through high school now. I hope things are going well with them.

Good to hear from you,
Suzanne :)

Re: I momentarily forgot I wasn't on the Social Board. Sorry... (eom)

Suzanne D. on 1/25/05 at 19:53 (167926)

Tammie on 1/25/05 at 20:32 (167928)

Autually this is something we HAVE talked about a bit recently,but we both want to be sure we have done all that we can with this stimulator since we have put so much into it . I have had 5 revisions already, tho not the most pleasant things they are well worth it if there is any hope that it may get coverage. I don't give up to easy. But then there are those days where I do like to think i should. Till I really start to think at what we have been through already then , I hope I have a good friend that is around to help me up out of that fog.
Like I said Laurie and Janet since they are so great about the RSD have been like sisters to me and I like to think we help each other through our rough days. I hadnt heard that Brian was thinking of the pain pump? I do hope that if he does it works well for him as I have heard good things of it also. Would this spinal stimulator do anything for him? I know it works for everyone a bit different and that the types of pain is a decision of sorts to , I do hope that he finds something to help him with his pain as he had really had such a verry long road with not many options to that have helped him.

If Anyone has any questions about the stimulator about trial,the surgery,the recovery,what it does, I'd be glad to try and help if I can.I think it is a great option for some,but those with RSD do have to be cautious as it has been known to cause spreadage I have since learned.

Re: Pain,

Tammie on 1/25/05 at 20:36 (167929)

We all continue to struggle with pain in one way or another as I see so many with the pf still are in pain and well rsd is something that is just not going to go away and I am learning to deal with it better, tho there are good days as well as bad days. I like to think I have better mental days as that makes my life feel much more productive. I hate feeling like I am drowning in a dark area of pain so I have made a resouloution to try and help more people and don't dwell on , my own troubles as that always make sme feel so much better anyways! Over to social now.