Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Heel pain 14yr old another question

Posted by Tina H on 1/24/05 at 13:26 (167826)

Dr. Z, A few weeks ago I posted regarding my 14 yr old with heel pain. Turns out she does not have Severs (growth plate is already closed) but she does have pf. My question, the doctor pointed out that she has an extremely high arch and asked me if anyone in the family has some disease where the arch get progressively higher with time. What is the name of this condition? I should have written it down when she said it and have now forgotton it. My arch is on the high side, but my husbands is really high. He has to buy a very wide shoe, so I'm wondering if this comes from his side of the family and I would like to read more about this. Thank you so much. Tina

Re: Heel pain 14yr old another question

Dorothy on 1/24/05 at 16:38 (167837)

I am not a doctor, but I'm going to venture this possibility: is it pes cavus?? The reason I suggest this possibility is that someone posted here recently with this condition; I didn't know what it was and I looked it up (google it for more info.). It sounds like what you are describing.
Obviously, the doctors can give you more info., but in the meantime, you might want to google this and do some information gathering. Good luck to you and your daughter.

Dr. Zuckerman on 1/24/05 at 17:10 (167842)

Hi

Did he say CMT disease?. Charcot Marie Tooth Disease I have treated patient at your daughter's age for plantar fascia. Is she very active. Sports, cheerleading etc

Tina H on 1/24/05 at 18:07 (167851)

Thank you, that's the dr. said because I remember the word tooth and thought it sounded strange. My daughter is active at certain times of the year. This heel pain started in the fall(both feet) when she was running XC. She also runs track in the spring. It's in the early stages and the pain is only when she walks a lot or runs. I ordered Strassburg socks for her today. The dr. wrote a prescription for orthotics but I am going to try powersteps first considering the mixed feelings on this board about orthotics. Also showed her your stretch. Now that we have a certain diagnosis of pf(no bone spurs yet), I'm hoping to stop this early. I'm also going to research this strange sounding disease. Where did they come up with a name like that?? Thank you, Tina

Re: CMT sounds scary

Tina H on 1/24/05 at 18:33 (167854)

Okay the CMT disease sounds very scary. Don't really think that's it, at least I hope not. She did test the strength of my daughters foot muscles and said good, very strong. The doctor also asked her if she spains her ankle a lot, but she (knock on wood) has never sprained her ankle. So I'll assume for now anyway that this is just pf. We certainly have enough of it in my family, but no one has gotten before age 30.
Have you ever seen CMT disease in someone this young? Thank you, Tina

Tina H on 1/24/05 at 18:34 (167855)

Thanks Dorothy, Dr Z knew the name of it but one of the manifestations is pes cavus so you weren't too far off. Thanks for posting, Tina