Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

surgery

Posted by jeannie m on 1/24/05 at 14:57 (167831)

My doctor has said that all of my options have been exhausted including e.s.w.t. and said that surgery would be the next step. I asked him about the results and he said it was 80% and he wished it was higher. He said he has had someone run a marathon after surgery but there are the 10% that don't get better. I wondered if anyone thinks it would be possible or realistic to think i would be able to go back to my waitressing job part time after as i have worked there for 20 years. I am 49 and just want to be able to keep the job at this point of my life. Any comments?

Re: surgery

Dr. Z on 1/24/05 at 22:33 (167871)

What about a second ESWT treatment before surgery

april l on 1/24/05 at 23:28 (167873)

I had the surgery in Aug. 2003. I went back to my 20 yr. waitress job 4 months after the surgery. It hurt really bad at first, but it gradually got better. I am working part time. 7 yrs ago I had my other foot done with the same results. At this point I work 4-5 hour shifts and my feet don't hurt afterwards anymore.

jeannie m on 1/25/05 at 21:55 (167943)

April, I cannot tell you how happy i was to hear from you. It's good to hear from someone in the same line of work.I am glad you are doing well. I had a few questions if you don't mind answering. Did they do a partial or full release. Did they go through the sides of your heels instead of opening you up? Would i be able to wear over the counter shoe inserts?(I've had 2 pair of custom ones made and both hurt). Can you go to the beach swimming? How long did you suffer before you had it done? and last is there anything you recommend I ask the Doctor beyond the usual questions. I am still holding out for recovery but it is feeling hopeless . Thanks for your time, Jeannie m

jeannie m on 1/25/05 at 21:59 (167945)

My Doctor said he felt there wasn't enough evidence to support a second round of eswt working. I really feel like the first time just didn't work on me. Thanks for answering me.

Dr. Z on 1/25/05 at 22:07 (167949)

Hi,

I have to tell that there is ALOT of journal evidence showing that a seond treatment does work if the first didn't. My personal experience of five years also supports this. This just isn't true. There was just recently an article showing a 79% sucess rate in patients that had first treatment failure. Be happy to send this to you just e-mail Dr. Z at (email removed) and I will

Dr.Wishnie on 1/26/05 at 07:15 (167962)

Jeannie,

As a doc that has perfomed more ESWTs except for Dr.Z I can tell you that 5% of the people require a second ESWT and it can make a world of difference. DR. Z and I are so confident in the technology that we do not charge the patient for a second treatment. If your doc has the same policy you should tell him that you want to try another treatment.

Re: april

jeannie m on 1/26/05 at 10:09 (167971)

April, I cannot tell you how happy i was to hear from you. It's good to hear from someone in the same line of work.I am glad you are doing well. I had a few questions if you don't mind answering. Did they do a partial or full release. Did they go through the sides of your heels instead of opening you up? Would i be able to wear over the counter shoe inserts?(I've had 2 pair of custom ones made and both hurt). Can you go to the beach swimming? How long did you suffer before you had it done? and last is there anything you recommend I ask the Doctor beyond the usual questions. I am still holding out for recovery but it is feeling hopeless . Thanks for your time, Jeannie m

Re: april

april l on 1/26/05 at 17:55 (168006)

I had EPF surgery on both feet and that is the one where the scope goes through the sides of your foot. I had a partial release on my left foot, that was in 2003. On my right foot I don't know if it was a partial or full release but I suspect it might have been a full release because I can't feel the fascia at all. That one was done in 1997. I suffered years before having the second surgery because I was afraid to have it done again because it was a long recovery. I wear Spenco inserts in my work shoes along with a small lift in the heel. I can go to the beach..I can do anything I ever did before getting PF. The thing is, it was a long recovery both times and after my first EPF I was convinced it was a huge mistake because i was still in pain. Healing and becoming pain free was a gradual process. When I went back to work after 4 months the pain was worse than before surgery. I only worked a few days a week 4 hr shifts because that is all I could handle. I took little breaks which helped. If you read here most of the messages are negative regarding surgery. There are risks and failures. Some people say I was very lucky to have had a good outcome. I personally am glad I did it. I hope the best for you.