Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Can orthotics actually make PF worse?

Posted by Marre on 1/25/05 at 21:18 (167938)

Long story short, I got PF from overtraining four months ago. Got custom orthotics due to biomechanics which could have contributed to PF--but maybe not--main issue is that I have one neutral foot (the PF foot) and one where the calceaneal bone is canted so the natural pronation can't happen. I've had the orthotics for a little over a month. After the break-in period, they felt great and I was even able to run a few miles. But in the last two weeks my PF has returned with a vengeance (Prior to that, the pain was 90% gone). I have the rigid kind. The pain doesn't happen when I run, just in the evening and only when I press against the inner arch. Suggestions? Thanks so much.

Re: Can orthotics actually make PF worse?

Richard, C.Ped on 1/27/05 at 11:27 (168035)

It is very possible. There are many factors to be looked into before making an orthosis. If anything is not done correctly, it could possible make conditions worse, or even create another painful condition.

Monte on 1/27/05 at 12:23 (168037)

Richard...can I have your email address. I have some questions.

Thanks
Monte

Marre on 1/27/05 at 12:56 (168039)

I think the orthotics are fine, since they were created to correct biomechanics, but it seems to me I have to get rid of the PF before wearing them, because they appear to be causing increased pain from impact on the hard surface.

Does this sound accurate? Thanks

Richard, C.Ped on 1/27/05 at 13:23 (168041)

Hi Monte,
I don't know if this was before or after we spoke on the phone, but my email is (email removed).