Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Newbie with Symtoms question

Posted by Jerry on 1/26/05 at 07:39 (167964)

I'm pretty sure my condition is PF but I want a sanity check in case it is something else. The pain I experience is the typical in the morning or after prolonged inactivity. I cannot say that the pain is in the heel however. It doesn't feel localized to the heel but seems to be in the arch
of my right foot itself. This is still within the norms of symptoms correct?? (from what I read on this website I think I have PF) The pain is not when my heel hits the ground but a dull pain when I try to transfer weight to the afflicted foot.

This is my 3rd incidence with this condition in one year (first time was Feb last year)and it seems to respond to rest, ice, taping and stretching. The first time it happened my Dr. just recommended rest and taking Aleve. That first time I can definitely associate it with an exercise session. This second and third time I don't know what I did to inflame my foot.
Please let me know if I have not provided enough informationl.

Re: Newbie with Symtoms question

Steve G on 1/26/05 at 10:23 (167973)

Jerry - it sounds like PF, but you should get your doctor to sent you to a podiatrist so you can a)get a clear diagnosis and b) come up with a treatment plan. This may include orthodics, PT, a night splint, etc. Since you have responded to treatment in the past, you should move on this quickly before you become one of use ol' timers.

Re: Steve G

Rachael T on 1/26/05 at 11:02 (167976)

Steve G - How are you doing? Are u still wearing Brooks Beast? I have improved alot...doing some walking daily & feet seem good in Brooks Ariels w/ my orth (made by the prothesis guy in local town- I wrote about them some time ago). I cont. to wear Birks too. Yes, I am in Fla. now again for the winter - & the warmth always helps to heal everything!

Re: Steve G

Rachael T on 1/26/05 at 11:04 (167977)

PS - My positive progress after 4 yrs. of PF (yes, 4 yrs. in March) - & finally the last 3 mos. - I have really gotten back to not waking up wondering what my feet are going to be like today - I am feel'n more confident w/ them....& I write this only to give you other PF'rs hope! Finally, I am alot better! Too - stretch not just those calf muscles--stretch those hamstrings - I think that was the root of my problem, not the calf muscles. I hope this helps give all of you some positive thoughts toward your own recovery.

Re: Rachael T

Steve G on 1/26/05 at 13:02 (167985)

Rachael - I am also doing a lot better these days. My discomfort level is really pretty low. I can take my dog for a walk and wander around the video store for 20 minutes, etc. I am still a bit limited what I can do, but thinking of where I was at 2 years ago, I have made a lot of progress. The pain the my heels is almost gone. This discomfort I am feeling is mainly in the arch. I wear the brooks at the gym, since the seem to work better when I am riding the bike (they fit better in the straps). I wear my strasburg sock for a half hour before I go to bed, and I do some light calf stretching.

What are you doing to stretch the hamstrings??

Jerry on 1/26/05 at 19:25 (168010)

Thanks for the advice.

Kathy G on 1/27/05 at 09:32 (168028)

Please read the Heel Pain Book. It's loaded with information that you may find useful. I, too, seldom have heel pain but I still have PF. My major problem has always been pain in my arches.

Are you seeing a Podiatrist? Most General Practitioners don't understand PF.

As for what set it off, there isn't always a specific cause one can pinpoint. I'm in the 'management' stage of PF, as I like to call it, and I can do something that I think will kill my feet and I'm fine. Then, out of the blue, I can have a 'bad foot day.' I can't always find a cause and effect.

Rachael T. on 1/27/05 at 13:57 (168044)

Hey Steve, Google hamstring stretches & you will come up w/ many. I usually do several....put my 1 leg up on a park bench & bend from my waist over that leg stretching....Do with each leg a couple of times. I also sit with 1 leg bent & that foot resting or the sole of my sneaker against the opposite leg's thigh, stretching the other leg out & bending over it...do w/ both legs. Those are a few.

I think the hamstring stretch helps the lower back & maybe, maybe, in turn helps the lower leg & foot....As I've read here & other places many times the conversations about low back pain & pf being 'referred' pain.

I don't claim to be 'cured' - but I do claim now that I am much more manageable - I ride my bike alot (esp. since I am now in Fla.) & I also walk a couple of days weekly - doing a 20 min. 'round the neighborhood' type walk. I can do alot of things now. So, for me, this is a do-able life compared to a few yrs. ago. I have found that riding horses though is still difficult for me if done too often. But, it is more easily done now than before - so I believe that 'too' will come w/ more time. I hope.

Good to hear from you & hope the progress continues for you - & for others here!

Dorothy on 1/27/05 at 14:53 (168048)

Hamstrings - whether tight or flexible - VERY important to back health.
Another one that I like is done while lying on back (floor or bed, floor preferred), knees bent, feet flat on floor, knees close together. Straighten one leg, keeping knees still close together and back flat to floor for support/'belly button to spine'. Raise leg toward ceiling only as far as you feel comfortable with slight stretch (SLIGHT). When you have slight stretch, very carefully flex foot so that heel aims toward ceiling. If you feel too much stretch, lower leg slightly and try again.
You should feel stretch, but not pain or overstretch, in hamstring, while back and bum are not bearing weight. One CAN overstretch hamstrings which is NOT good at all and can cause a whole set of problems. So take it slow and easy. This position, however, allows you to control the amount of stretch more than most standing positions do.
I always like the posts between SteveG and Rachel as I can relate to their information, so please excuse my butting in with this - but hope it is useful.

Dorothy on 1/27/05 at 14:56 (168049)

Someday I will learn not to post until thorough editing is done! I should have added:
don't lock knees; keep them a little soft - enough to accomplish stretch but not to 'hard-lock' the knee.

Also, a prop is VERY good with this stretch. If you do any Pilates or yoga, you will be familiar with the use of a belt or strap to do this stretch. It can make a big, positive, difference in doing it. It is not essential, but it is helpful.

There! I think I'm done.

Jerry on 2/01/05 at 22:26 (168291)

Sorry for not responding sooner, I have read the book and I believe it indicates that my PF is not atypical. I just order the DVD also and I have yet to view it.
I do not have a podiatrist yet but I do plan to get a recommendation from my own doctor for a podiatrist. I want to get on top of this before it becomes a chronic problem.

You hit the nail on the head, most times I don't know the exact stress that causes a flare up of PF. Although from the heel pain book, I do know that I should lose some weight and pay better attention to the shoes I use.