Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

hello from Julie

Posted by Julie on 1/26/05 at 08:14 (167965)

Hi everyone

I'm home from hospital. My surgery seems to have gone well. The problem was not a neurofibroma, as the radiologist who read my MRI scans thought, but fragments of disc, as the neurosurgeon suspected. He was right, thank goodness. I don't want to bore you with too many details, but basically the disc prolapsed, and the prolapsed piece broke off, not in one piece, as is more common, but in many pieces, one of which was digging into the nerve. The surgeon said 'It must have been very painful'. Which it was, as you know.

Anyway, all the bits and pieces are gone now, and my back feels fine: a bit sore at the incision, but fine. Even the immediate post-operation pain on Thursday and Friday wasn't a patch on what I'd had at the beginning. I'm very tired, and still getting over the effects of the general anaesthetic on top of weeks of heavy pain meds, so I'm not doing much. But I'm enjoying not having to do anything, a rare experience for me.

So I will now resume my position as Sofa Girl O, with my thanks to everyone who has been thinking of me and wishing me well, and everyone who has emailed me. I've appreciated it enormously.

All the best to you all,

Julie

Re: hello from Julie

Tammie on 1/26/05 at 10:16 (167972)

Julie, I am so very glad at your outcome! I am sure it must have been such a horrible pain and then to have had to worry about the other? I am only so sorry you must have been terrified! I am sorry you had to go through that horrible expierance as I know you had enough once before.I am just very glad the outcome was what it was. I know that you are one strong woman and you would have made it no matter what the outcome had been.But Thank the Lord you are healing nicely without anything ELSE to worry about during that time.

Take care our friend and enjoy that rest and remember one day at a time and listen to the body lol remember those famous words? I do and now it is for you to remember and use. My thoughts and prayers are with you and I hope to hear that you are up and feeling back to yourself very soon!!!!
Love a old friend.

Dorothy on 1/26/05 at 11:56 (167978)

Julie ~

It is so good to hear from you and especially with this very good news!
Take good care as you rest and recover. We're happy that you're doing so well. It is probably hard to understand, but your good news is a load off the worry machine!
Later -

Carole C in NOLA on 1/26/05 at 12:38 (167983)

What terrific news! I'm so glad that your pain is less, and that it was something they could correct.

How ironic that 'Sofa Girl 0' is the only one left on the sofa. I'm glad to hear you are on the mend, though. I would imagine that you are pretty glad about that, too! :)

Carole C

Julie on 1/26/05 at 14:20 (167990)

Tammie, thank you. How good to hear your voice, and yes of course I remember 'Listen to your body' and am doing just that. Thanks so much for your thoughts and prayers. I hope you can stick around now: we all miss you.

Julie on 1/26/05 at 14:24 (167991)

Carole, thanks! Yes, I've been lucky. The surgeon said that if that disc bit had been allowed to go on damaging the nerve for much longer I might have lost function in the leg. So I'm happy and relieved that all had gone as it has.

I'm glad to hear I'm the only one left on the sofa and that you and your sofa-companions Judy and Suzanne and Kathy and Wendy (have I left anyone out?) are better enough to get off your sofas. I'm enjoying life on mine and think I'll hang out here for a bit longer.

Julie on 1/26/05 at 14:28 (167992)

Dorothy, thank you, and also for your post a couple of days ago which I caught a glimpse of yesterday but have now lost, the one in which you said you were having a new back episode. I'm very sorry about that and I hope it won't last long.

Glad you've got a copy of The Healing Power of Yoga. I hope you enjoy it and that you'll let me know what you think of it. I must have a read of it myself now, I think - but I'm in the middle of re-reading Anna Karenina, and can't stop. :)

Suzanne D. on 1/26/05 at 15:10 (167997)

What wonderful news, Julie! How nice it was to come to Heelspurs.com and find this hello and update from you. I am thankful that your surgery is over, that it was successful, and that the neurosurgeon was right in what he suspected was amiss.

You take it easy on that sofa and know that, literally, people all over the world are thinking of you and keeping you in their prayers.

Suzanne :)

Julie on 1/26/05 at 15:20 (167999)

It's nice to know it, Suzanne! Thank you!

Kathy G on 1/26/05 at 18:29 (168008)

Julie,

How nice to sign on and see your post! I haven't been on the internet today and signed on specifically to see if we'd heard from you. Thank goodness it was as the neurologist thought, although the pieces doesn't sound very pleasant.

Thank you for keeping us informed and take care of yourself. I'm so happy to hear that it was good news!

Julie on 1/27/05 at 03:16 (168021)

Thanks Kathy. No, it wasn't pleasant, but it's pleasant now. I've very little pain, only some discomfort, and so am off the painkillers. Very grateful for both those things!

Kathy G on 1/27/05 at 09:14 (168026)

Wow - already off the pain killers! That's wonderful progress! I knew that your overall excellent physical condition, along with your wonderful attitude, would help you make a speedy recovery.

Julie on 1/27/05 at 11:05 (168032)

Yes, Kathy, it's amazing. I would never have thought that I could do without them so quickly. I'm very glad: I needed them, and so ignored their ill effects (slight in my case, fortunately) but am relieved not to be popping pills any more.

I still feel tired, and not quite myself, which is understandable, and as though I have a lot of junk in my system (codeine, morphine, and whatever it is they use in a general anaesthetic) but I'm on the mend. I think full recovery, in the sense of getting all my energy back, will take awhile. But, so far, so good. I suspended all my classes until Spring (I can't remember if I told you this) so I have plenty of time to vegetate and contemplate. I think I needed a break, and am glad to have this enforced one.

marie on 1/29/05 at 16:34 (168138)

Phew...........glad your home and the prognosis good! Nice to have some good news around here.

marie

Cyndi on 1/29/05 at 20:01 (168147)

Julie, very good to see you back and healing nicely. Take your time since your work was scheduled till spring so enjoy this time. It is good to hear you are no longer hurting, just healing!

Cyndi :-)

Julie on 1/30/05 at 02:00 (168155)

Thank you, Cyndi. Yes, that's exactly what I shall do. It's good to have a break - and not be hurting in it.

Picking up marbles with your toes is great foot-strengthening exercise.

Julie on 1/30/05 at 02:01 (168156)

Thank you, Marie.

Re: test

tammie on 1/31/05 at 12:36 (168195)

test

JudyS on 1/31/05 at 18:51 (168212)

Julie - I'm just home from a ten-day, out-of-town-to-two-other-towns trip!
(Say that ten times fast)so I'm a bit tardy on seeing your note re: your surgery.

Hearing that your pain has been relieved is very good news indeed. You must really be looking forward to having your strength back and to having one less worry.

But heck......it's OK to drag out the Sofa Girl thing - you've earned it!

Julie on 2/01/05 at 01:37 (168223)

Hi Judy, and thanks for the good wishes. I'm mending faster than I'd have thought possible - ten days post-op and no pain, only very occasional very slight discomfort at the site itself, and the presenting problem is gone away. Yesterday I caught a weather window in the middle of the long grey spell we're having, and went up to Greenwich Park. The birds were singing, the flowers were blooming, the sun was shining, my legs were walking, and I felt very happy! It felt so good to walk without pain, without doubling over.

The Sofa is the thing of the past. But even that was nice while it lasted... :)

Hope you enjoyed your trip. I tried saying it once and gave up.

Buck T. on 2/02/05 at 09:25 (168312)

Hi Julie: Been out in the world reinventing myselt after years of pf suffering. So, missed out on your back problems. Sure glad this turned out well for you. Take care.

Sincerely, Buck T.

Julie on 2/02/05 at 10:33 (168317)

Many thanks, Buck. And I'm so glad you are better!