Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT scheduled!!

Posted by Leslie B on 1/26/05 at 14:02 (167987)

Just letting you know after pulling MANY strings, I was able to get scheduled to have ESWT on my left foot. I am going to a doctor out of my normal HMO practice. And yes, my HMO is paying for it. They will discontinue paying after March 1, 2005. It is just amazing to me when things ever go RIGHT!! I just hope it works for me. How many of you needed a 2nd or 3rd treatment? My doctor said about 1/3 often do, but I would have to pay for any of those out of pocket if needed. Thanks!

Leslie

Re: ESWT scheduled!!

Dr. Z on 1/26/05 at 15:32 (168001)

Hi

I am glad that you are getting ESWT. What type of equipment is being used for your ESWT treatment.? The dornier or the ossatron.? If you should need a second treatment make sure that you doctor can do it in the office because the cost will be alot less then if they ONLY do this in an ASC.

Dr.Wishnie on 1/26/05 at 15:38 (168002)

Hi Leslie,

Good job on getting it covered. For me, only five percent of my patients need a second treatment. Remember, it can take up to six months to get better so be patient. I do not charge the patient for any additional ESWT treatments if needed. Good luck and I know you will do fine. Sincerely, Dr. Wishnie

Leslie B on 1/26/05 at 22:13 (168017)

I am having the dornier machine. What is an ASC? I know the doctor did mention that he usually does not charge for a second treatment, but I'm not sure how that would work if it was covered by insurance the first time, but not after that.

Leslie

Leslie B on 1/26/05 at 22:15 (168018)

Thanks! Hopefully it will work the first time! Out of curiousity, have any of the doctors on here needed this treatment themselves - or even tried it out? Just wondering.

Leslie

Dr. Z on 1/26/05 at 23:36 (168020)

Hi

ASC is an ambulatory Surgical Center. Are you having the procedure done in an Office? Isn't your ESWT coverage ending on March 1, 2006 ?

vince on 1/27/05 at 06:28 (168024)

Since your ins. co is dropping coverage as of 3/1/05 I would guess that you are in New Jersey?? If you are would you mind posting which company is providing the Dornier?

Leslie B on 1/27/05 at 10:00 (168030)

Yes, the procedure will be in the 'mobile home' right outside of the office in their parking lot. My coverage ends in 2005, so I have very little time. Thanks.
Leslie

Leslie B on 1/27/05 at 10:05 (168031)

I am in Pennsylvania. I think the company is Excellence Shock Wave Therapy. At least that is what was on the brochure. This is all still so new. As of about a week ago, I have never heard of any of this! I have Keystone HMO and they were the ones stopping coverage on 3/1/05. Incidentally, if he were alive, that date would have been my Dad's 80th birthday. I am thinking that somehow he is watching over me and he 'helped' me get this treatment done in time. Let's just hope it works!

Leslie

Dr.Wishnie on 1/27/05 at 12:39 (168038)

An ASC is an ambulatory surgical center. The doc might bill the ins co. for a second treatment but will not charge you. This is fine to do and most ins. companies that pay for the first treatment pay for the second.

vince on 1/27/05 at 19:21 (168061)

Ask Dr. Z about that company. He may know who they are.

Dr. Z on 1/27/05 at 20:11 (168067)

Hi
Yes I do know this company VERY well. I am the ESWT director of this company.