Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Does Massage help?

Posted by BlisterBabe on 1/27/05 at 13:31 (168042)

Today I discovered a new form of help for my heel pain! There was a tennis ball on the floor of my kitchen, and as I was leaning against my counter, I started rolling the sole of my foot over the tennis ball. I could really feel the tendon (plantar?) as I was 'massaging' it. I wonder if that will help stretch it out and relive some of the pain.

My heels have not been too bad lately as I have gone down to only 2 shifts a week at the restaurant. Has anyone else tried this?

Re: Does Massage help?

Kathy G on 1/29/05 at 08:45 (168121)

I found that when my PF was very bad, I got some perceived relief from rolling a cold can of soda under my foot. Many posters, mostly over on the Treament Board, said that I could be doing more harm than good. That, and the fact that the can developed a small hole and starting spraying all over the kitchen, made me stop. But yes, I think that others have used tennis balls the same way you have.

Why don't you post a question on the 'Ask the Doctors' board and see what they think of that type of therapy?

I'm glad that your feet feel better and I hope that you can continue to work only two shifts for a while longer. Rest is so important with PF. It's great that you are having less pain!

Cyndi on 1/29/05 at 20:03 (168148)

My DR told me to use frozen water bottles to roll and they work excellent. I roll sometimes while here on the computer. I also use my toes to pick up marbles for an exercise.

marie on 1/29/05 at 20:20 (168150)

I sware by massage. Just don't massage to roughly over the inflamed area. My hubby spent months massaging my calves and feet. It really helped along with several other things. It does take a long time to heal so don't expect to have instant success. I like the tennis ball idea. I've been using a cold pop can.

best wishes marie

Cyndi on 1/30/05 at 19:10 (168172)

lol ;-)

I like the tennis ball also, except my dog keeps thinking I am playing with him. :-)

Buck T. on 2/02/05 at 09:16 (168310)

I used a tennis ball for years. Just recently, was sent to physical therapist for minor flareup. He said using something broader like a baseball bat or dough roller was better because it massaged entire area. He said tennis ball only did small area and entire foot needed to be massaged uniformly. Don't know, just passing this along.

Sincerely, Buck T.