Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

How many still have P.F.

Posted by Ralph on 1/28/05 at 14:49 (168103)

Does everyone here still have an active case of P.F. or are some of you cured already? Are there different stages that you go through before reaching the cure?

Re: How many still have P.F.

SteveG on 1/28/05 at 16:06 (168108)

Ralph - I would say the most of the people here have an active case of PF. I have been on the board for over 3 years now, and I agree with other posters that the people who are cured tend to drift away from the board and get on with their lives. You see people come and go, and some people will post a note that they are now cured and you never hear from them again. There are definitely stages that you go through as you get better. I am about 75-80% better then I was 2 years ago. Many other posters (John H, Rachael T, etc) will agree with me on this.

MaryB on 1/29/05 at 08:57 (168124)

I haven't read this web site for quite awhile and then I realized that my PF is much better! Almost gone! I did a lot of taping and using a cane. Only wore orthotics in my New Balance. Never went barefoot and did not wear shoes or slippers without support. I have been able to wear Mephisto clogs for quite awhile and then go back to New Balance if I get any little pangs from my heel. I only have PF in the right foot. This has been over a 3 year period and I feel quite good about it but won't take a chance and wear the wrong shoes.

Kathy G on 1/29/05 at 09:14 (168125)

Ralph,

This is a topic that comes up frequently. Some of our regular posters are cured in that they are back to leading their normal lives, albeit wearing orthotics or certain special footwear. As for me, I have way less pain but I've modified my lifestyle greatly because I don't think I'm going to get any better than I am. It's tolerable and while I would prefer to have my old feet back again, I can live with the ones I have.

I think the cure rate for PF is 90%. And once people have had it, they always have to 'listen' to their feet and back off when they feel any twinges.

My son, a tennis pro, never missed work with PF and continues his active daily schedule, as well as his hobbies of fishing and surfing year round. He always wears his custom orthotics and says that he continues to do Julie's Yoga exercises. He finds that when he gets a twinge, if he cuts back his activity level a bit, it will go away. I believe that the average PF case is most like his but I could be wrong.

Linda V on 1/29/05 at 20:58 (168151)

I have had PF (both feet) for almost a year now. I think I am about 75% better, but it still takes a lot of work..stretches, massaging, soaks, rest, less active lifestyle than I would wish...and my orthotics in my bedroom slippers and superfeet in my New Balance. Never barefoot.

Robert J on 1/29/05 at 22:27 (168153)

Just to confuse things further, I had PF for 2.5 years and only got better when I broke most of the standard fules of recovery. I am one of those people who did recover and still hand around the board from time to time. My experience is very different from others. I stopped wearing custom orthotics, began walking barefoot, and started a progressive exercise program that began low but quickly got to a higher stres level. And then, and only then, did I start to get better. The point is that PF appears to be not one but several injuries and each individual responds differently to these different injuries. In other words, there is no dogma to recovery. You simply have to keep experimenting on yourself to find out what works. In my experience,the right regime became apparent quickly. I think the trick of recovery is to keep looking until you find the approach that works. And the state of affairs with PF is such that no one can tell you authoritatively whether any therapy will be helpful or not. You simply have to try it for yourself and see the results.

Tina H on 1/30/05 at 06:39 (168161)

Robert, This is a really good point and with in the same person successful remedies can change, at least this is what happened to me. For months orthotics helped but then suddenly they made my foot worse, and going without mean't almost pain free days which was opposite from 6 monthss before. It certainly is a weird, frustrating condition. Just when you think you have it fiqured out you learn you don't.

mikeb on 1/30/05 at 09:23 (168162)

i have had pf for exactly one year. i am about 90% better, and am starting at the gym again tommmorrow. i will start with light stretching, walking on the treadmill and 15 mins light elliptical. last year i ran the marathon, now i have 20lbs to lose. but the pf seems to be, after a l0ng year, nearly gone. i wear hard orthotics for work and soft orthotics in my sneaks. im hoping to be rid of it all soon.

Elyse B on 1/31/05 at 07:27 (168186)

well I am still not sure that I ever had PF but I am back running. Ran a 7 mile race last weekend and a 10 miler this weekend. I bought $600 orthotics that I am not wearing. I seem to have had success with my Mizuno Creations. Night splints, physical therapy did not work. Rarely stretched or strengthened. It just seemed to go away by itself which is why I am not completely sure it was PF although diagnosed as such by the 5 podiatrists that I went to see.

Sher on 1/31/05 at 14:02 (168198)

Going on my 5th year with PF. The pain comes, subsides, then comes back. The weather seems to affect it too, on a bad day, it's bad, on a good day it's not so bad. I saw quite a few podiatrists but they just couldn't help. Finally I was referred to a rheumatologist and she has helped me a lot. I think that the PF I have is related to arthritis which once you get it doesn't ever just go away. I'm learning to live with it. I take Relafen (sp?) now which seems to at least hold it in check. Of all the things I do on my own I think that 2 strips in a V starting at the heel and going to the sides of the foot gives me the most relief. I'd love to see this just go away.

John H on 2/01/05 at 12:06 (168243)

Ralph I am around 9 years into bilateral PF. I am much better than I was in the begining but expect I will always have some degree of pain. I have changed my life style which includes no more running and many other things. I think long term PF people finally just have to accept that you may always have this to some degree and their will be some days worse than others. I do not think there is any miracle cure and quit searching for one. I still try a lot of new things that cross my computer but am not disappointed if they do not work.

John H on 2/01/05 at 12:07 (168244)

Ralph there have been people on here who were cured after 10 years and many who have been cured.

Donna G on 2/01/05 at 12:55 (168249)

I have had PF for almost 2 years now. I have gotten the most relief by taping my foot. I have been taping for about 3 months and am able to do some exercise with it. Before I started taping, I couldn't walk for any length of time without the pain being excrutiating. If I were you, I would try taping.

Rose M. on 2/03/05 at 18:53 (168435)

Hi!
I'm going on 3 and 1/2 years with the PF. I was much worse when it first started. Went thru the usual treatments with shots, getting orthotics, etc. I continue to do stretching. About a year after having this, I discussed surgery with my podiatrist, and he said if I was to have it, going back to my current job would not be an option,(I'm a nurse in a cath lab, on my feet all day, long hours, call, etc)..so I never went the surgery route as I have to work. I had to change the way I did things also. I stopped the walking, and stopped my dance class 3 years ago. Of course, I gained weight, and this worsened my PF at times. So I recently re-started dance class and started using the treadmill only 3 days/week for 15 minutes. So far the PF is bearable. As others state, some days are worse than others. Working my job are the worse days, as I can't rest my feet during the day. I agree with above: you have to accept that you may always have this to some degree...

Robin F on 2/07/05 at 10:37 (168684)

I've had PF for probably 20 years, but it was never as bad as it's been in the last 8 years or so. Unfortunately, I didn't go for treatment the first decade - just put up with the pain. In retrospect, I think, if I would have seen a doctor and gotten orthotics right away, it would not have gotten to the point it is now. I've had PT several times, multiple cortisone treatments, fasciotomy, shock wave therapy and I'm worse than ever. I've now come to the conclusion that the weight I've gained over the years is causing me extreme problems and pain. I'm not able to do much activity because of the pain, so it's vicioius circle.

Geraldine S. on 2/13/05 at 11:58 (168968)

I have this in both feet. could someone give me a good website to show how to tape my feet. Any good pointers please. Thanks

Julie on 2/13/05 at 12:06 (168971)

Geraldine, this website! Have you not read the heel pain book yet? In Part 2 there is a section on taping, with instructions and illustrations for a few different techniques.

cindi on 3/01/05 at 13:46 (170215)

I have had PF off and on for about 15 years. Usually the Spenco inserts took care of it. Last year I got it bad after going barefoot a lot on a new tile floor and none of the usual remedies that had worked in the past helped. I got orthodics from a Podiatrist,3 cortisone shots, nothing helped. I finally found out from a lady selling me shoes that I had a high arch. I'm 50 years old and never knew it. Now I put Dr.Schols(sp?) arch supports AND New Balance inserts that have an arch also. So it took extra arch height to fix it. It feels like the arches hug my feet. It feels so good. I also wear night splints every night. It took about a month for that tender spot on the side of the heel to completely go away. At its worst I couldn't walk on my foot without terrible pain. I had to walk on the outside of my foot. Hope this helps somebody.