Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

tarsul syndrome

Posted by Sylvia N. on 1/28/05 at 18:55 (168111)

To whom it may concern; I had this tarsul tunnel surgery and I'll tell you it has caused me nothing but grief! I followed all the rules of recovery stayed off my feet,took a 6 month medical leave,but to no avail. I am in the very same condition as I was before the surgery. Can anyone out there realate to this? I feel so isolated because people cannot see your injury so they think your B.Sing them! This was my very last resort after suffering from this for 2 years. I've had all the patience I can muster up, does anyone have any suggestions? Sylvia

Re: tarsul syndrome

Linda C. on 1/31/05 at 09:44 (168191)

sylvia,
I too had tarsal tunnel release and fascia release in both feet. in 2001,and 2002. I am still in pain also,and have not found any relief.
i'd be open to any suggestions also. I actually talked a friend out of the surgery,and she got E.S.W.T. instead. she said it actually worked for her.
good luck & let me know how you do.

chrisb on 2/02/05 at 18:20 (168341)

I have a similar story. TTS surgery has not changed my symptoms. I've been through 4 years of orthotics, pt, ESWT and TTS surgery 8 months ago. Over 4 years my symptoms have slowly worsened: I'm seriously crippled -- on crutches when I go out, and lucky if I can stay off a cane in the house. Diagnosis seems to be very difficult for people like us. What to do now, is the question. From this board the biggest diagnostic challenge seems to be those of us who don't have first step pain.

Have you had diagnostic ultrasound-- to see if the fascia is thickened?

I think it's not usual to cut a sensory nerve when there is no accurate diagnosis of entrapment -- but has anyone had this done and what was the result?

Mike C on 2/13/05 at 05:48 (168957)

Chrisb-
If you don't mind:
where exactly is the pain?
What are you doing when you notice it?
What does it feel like?
what if anything makes it better?
What type of shoe is most comfortable?

chrisb on 2/16/05 at 09:02 (169141)

Mike to answer your questions:
in my case the pain is near the fascia insertion, but also nowadays spreads around the other side of the heel. First steps in the mronings are best, then it comes on within 5 minutes of weight-bearing. Hard to describe what it feels like except 'awful'. A kind of burning I guess. The more I'm on it the worse it becomes (minutes or hours later)
Only thing I've found that helps is rest, but being sedentary wastes my foot muscles.
I mostly wear a shoe with a heel and gel padding. I can walk about 30 yards on good days.
Hope this is of help to you.

Mike C on 2/16/05 at 17:41 (169186)

chrisb-
Couple of things.
First of all there is as much as a 50% recurrence rate in tarsal tunnel release in the absense of a 'bony' reason.
Tinel's sign is indicative of nerve entrapment. This is done by tapping rather firmly over the nerve in question. If the nerve is irritated you will experience a zinger-type sensation along the course of the nerve that is irritated. In your case the calcaneal branch of the tibial nerve across the bottom of you heal.
What is the alignment of your foot - high arch, flat arch, is it the same as the other foot?

Sylvia N. on 12/09/05 at 23:59 (189398)

This is Sylvia,
Has anyone tried Acupunture? If you did please let me know of the results because I'm contemplating having it done for some relief!

Linad C. on 1/16/06 at 13:18 (191556)

This is Sylvia N. I had the Tarsul Tunnel Surgery on 01/14/04: Today is January 16, 2006, Two years later Linda and I still suffer the after affects of this Surgery... I see a Rhuematologist, and what they prescibe is pills... Where are you at in your recovery??? Please e-mail me and let me know of your progress.....Thank-You Sylvia

Mick J on 1/18/06 at 11:35 (191672)

Yes I have had six sessions Acupunture.(failed too ease the pain)

LARRY T on 2/06/06 at 09:41 (192954)

I WAS DIAGNOSED TARSUL TUNNEL SYNDROME IN 1994. I HAVE BEEN THROUGH THERE AND BACK AND WITH NO SUCCESS. I HAVE HAD THE SURGERY , I HAVE TRIED ORTHADICTS, WRAPPINGS, ACUPUNTURE, STEROIDS, SREROIDS SHOTS DIRECTLY INTO THE NERVE, EPIDERALS, AND ANYTHING ELSE ANYONE CARED TO GET ME TO TRY. THE ONLY THING THAT GETS ME THROUGH THE DAY IS ANTIDEPRESANTS WHICH CONFUSE THE SYPATHETIC NERVES AND EUPHORICS THAT MAKE ME IGNORE THE INTOLERABLE PAIN THAT I HAVE TO LIVE WITH EVERY DAY. WITH THESE IN HAND I LIVE A FAIRLY NORMAL LIFESTYLE BUT GET READY FOR THE FIGHT OF YOUR LIFE BECAUSE THERE ARE VERY FEW SYMPATETIC DOCTORS OUT THERE THAT ARE WILLING TO HELP YOU WITH A PAIN THAT THEY ARE NOT USED TO TREATIN. GOD BLESS AND I HOPE ALL GOES WELL FOR YOU POOR PITIBLE PEOPLE THAT HAVE THIS TERRIBLE DIEASES

Sylvia N. on 4/24/06 at 11:50 (197960)

Hello Larry, I went back to work after 6 mos. I am constantly in pain from Tarsul Tunnel. I am just like you, I have tried EVERYTHING POSSIBLE I could to have some Relief. Are you collecting Disability from your work place? What kind of work did you do? Please E-Mial me w/ your presnt situation, so I may make the correct decisions in my life. Thank-You, Sylvia N.

Re: tarsul syndrome HAPPY FEET

Chrys G on 4/27/06 at 11:09 (198144)

Hello all who suffer from tarsul tunnel. I am a massage therapist and have a client who suffers from alot of the same symptoms. Yes all this pain is real and you have great cause to be in pain and i am sad that you are suffering this way. Have you tried a reflexologist to do reflexology on your foot? A good reflexologist will be able to offer some comfort for the heel of your foot and the small but ropey muscles that cause the problem standing first thing in the morning. Those muscles and ligaments insert on the heel of your foot and heel spurs or calcium deposits can make it much worse. Don't let anyone tell you that ultrasound of those kinds of problems will make it all better forever. What a bunch of KRAP. Nothing is forever. Find a good reflexologist and see them weekly and what your feet being to be HAPPY again.

Lorbinz on 3/28/07 at 09:49 (226127)

After suffering from foot pain since August, I was finally diagnosed with tarsel tunnel. My foot pain definately started out with plantar which I had in the other foot and was cured with PT. I do not have any pain in that foot anymore. However, this time, somewhere along the line I started developing pain on the inside of my ankle. I have had 2 cortizone shots. They relieved the pain for about 1 week. I received PT for 4 months and it just kept getting worse. Currently, the pain is better than it was in December, however, I am not doing anything. I am a very active person (sports) and have been unable to do anything. I also substitute teach and just completed 2 days in a row and am in pain again. I took interest to your post as I have just begun to research reflexology. Does it work?????? I do not want to have Tarsel Tunnel surgery because I have read nothing good about it (on a lot of sites). Please let me know what you know about reflexology.

Bill T. on 4/25/07 at 11:03 (228469)

I have been experiencing pain for the last two years in my left foot-mainly the rear of the arch. Just standing in one place is the worst, but lots of activity makes the pain more severe.

I substitute teach so I have to find ways to sit most of the day or I increase the pain. The first three DPMs diagnost plantar faciaitis. I had the worst pain about three weeks ago and sought help that day. I saw a different DPM and he said, 'yes your plantar is inflamed,twice as thick as the right. And you probably have a nerve entrapment-tarsul tunnel syndrome.' He referred me to a neurologist for a nerve study to eliminate the source comes from my back.I will have that exam May 8, 2007.

I am looking into the possibility of surgery to release the entrapped nerve and the release of the plantar.

I have not seen on the internet any positive results from this type of surgery. The DPM says he has done about thirty of these procedures and all but one helped.

After reading about 10 messages on this and other 'threads' I am now very cautious and a little scared about going under the knife. I manage my pain w/ over the counter antinflamatories; Advil and Aleve. These help a little, but the less I am on it the less pain I have. Any experienced folks want to offer advice?

Tressa G on 10/23/07 at 19:25 (238342)

I have had severe foot pain for about 9 months now. It starts with a sharp cringing pain in both of my heels especially when I stand up and put weight on them. It continues to hurt as I walk. When I stand for a few minutes the pain is added with a burning sensation in the sole of my feet. At first I was diagnosed with Plantar Fascitis and went through a number of different treatments, steroid inj, pills, orthotics, etc. Nothing helped. The nerve conduction study showed tarsal tunnel syndrome/nerve impingement. DPM wants to do surg, I have heard alot of bad things about the surg, I do not want to have the surg. I have an appointment with a chiropractor to see what treatment he can offer without surg. I am considering consulting a reflexologist for advice as well. I have noticed the pain does lessen somewhat with massage and rest. I have a desk job but am up and down constantly, dealing with the pain on a daily basis has been very hard and wears on you. Especially with no sleep because of the pain all during the night.
It has affected how active I can be and my home life severely.
I would like to know if anyone has had good results from reflexology or chiropractor.

billt on 3/09/08 at 19:31 (244330)

I went ahead w/ tarsal tunnel surgery 2-22-08 after two years of battling pain. The max doses of either Aleve or ibuprofin(800mg dailey) and 2400mg neurontin were helping some but my blood results from the lab were telling the dr that I should stop the antinflamatories. Too soon to tell the results. The doctor says the surgery was 'successful' they removed some scar tissue around the nerve. I've never had an ankle injury previously that I can recall. I went to six doctors including one highly recommended orthopedic surgeon before I selected Dr Oloff who is w/ SOAR here in No. CA.

I will keep this web site posted on my recovery. My best to all you who are enduring this pain.

billt on 3/09/08 at 19:58 (244332)

I went ahead w/ tarsal tunnel surgery 2-22-08 after two years of battling pain. The max doses of either Aleve or ibuprofin(800mg dailey) and 2400mg neurontin were helping some but my blood results from the lab were telling the dr that I should stop the antinflamatories. Too soon to tell the results. The doctor says the surgery was 'successful' they removed some scar tissue around the nerve. I've never had an ankle injury previously that I can recall. I went to six doctors including one highly recommended orthopedic surgeon before I selected Dr Oloff who is w/ SOAR here in No. CA.

I will keep this web site posted on my recovery. My best to all you who are enduring this pain.