Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ball of foot pain

Posted by Suzy on 1/31/05 at 13:31 (168197)

I am a 45 years old floor covering installer and I have always had great feet up until about 4 weeks ago My left foot started to hurt after I started to wear new boots. I only wore them for about 3 hours walking the mall, and now I have severe pain in the ball of my foot. I have tried massage, heat, ice, and it feels good until I start walking on it again. I bought some saucony walking shoes to help but it is only good for about 10 minutes if I am walking very far. Any help would be appreciated

Re: ball of foot pain

Dr.Wishnie on 1/31/05 at 14:29 (168201)

Is the pain a sharp, shooting type? Does it feel like you are walking on a pebble? Let me know. Dr Wishnie

Suzy on 1/31/05 at 18:12 (168211)

It is a constant pain that feels like I am walking on more than a pebble. It is right in the middle of the ball of my left foot. It even hurts when I rub it, like the tissue is out of place.

Dr. Wishnie on 1/31/05 at 21:47 (168216)

Hi Suzy,

this sounds like a neuroma, which is an enlargement of a nerve in your foot. This is initially treated with steroid injections and orthoses (custom inserts). If this does not help, there are alcohol injections, cryotherapy or surgery. Visit my web site at http://www.stopfootpainfast.com . Have you seen a podiatrist?

Dr. Z on 1/31/05 at 22:12 (168217)

Is the pain burning?

Suzy on 2/01/05 at 12:21 (168246)

No burning, just a constant stabing type pain. I have an appointment to see a podiatrist this week. Thank you for the information

Re: mortons neuroma

cathie w on 2/01/05 at 21:30 (168285)

i recently had neuroma surgery end of october 2004 on my left foot. before the surgery i could walk threw a store before the pain would start with the burning, itching, swelling etc... of the ball of my foot and toes. then i would stop walking and hold my foot up in air for moment and slowly limp along. i NEVER felt any marbles in the ball of my foot. cortozone shots had no affect on the neuroma other then that is when i began to feel the marbles in the pad of my foot. i had lived with this pain for about 15 years as it gradually got worse. my neuroma was rated an 8 1/2 by my doctor. since the surgery, it is like the ball of my foot is a tuff, painful piece of grissel and i have a huge marble feeling still in the pad of my foot. now every step i take is with great pain. i received another cortozone shot again - no affect. my doctor thinks i may have a 2nd neuroma. my foot feels like it has aged 20 years. i am worried that the painful tuff grissle feeling will not go away and only get worse if i have another surgery. will i ever walk normal again? he says to find a chat room to talk about it with other people but i can't find one. help.

Dr. Z on 2/01/05 at 22:26 (168290)

He maybe correct you could have a re-current neuroma that may need a second surgery. Get a second opinion if you feel you need another opinion.

Darlene on 2/02/05 at 15:20 (168332)

There is a yahoo group on Morton's neuroma.
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/mortonsneuroma/

Karen S. on 2/26/05 at 19:14 (169986)

Cathie,

I read your message and just had to ask if you have found anything helpful yet? The way you describe the post-surgical feeling of your neuroma struck a chord with me - the big painful horrible ball of gristle. Oh it is SO horrible isn't it? I then had alcohol sclerosing injections with a really bad outcome. The pain is so debilitating and horrible and permeating and persistent and since no one can 'see' it they don't understand. I go through periods of true despair wondering HOW am I supposed to LIVE with this. NOTHING works, even huge doses of narcotics. Well, maybe HUGE doses, but I don't want that. I am currently trying to arrange cryotherapy. Have you heard of that? Anyway, your message just... well I don't know. It helps to not feel alone. I am a 35 year old with 85 year old feet. I pray you will get some relief.

Karen S.

cathie w on 2/27/05 at 12:53 (170042)

Well is looks like my foot problems since my neuroma sugery have only gotten worse. I have had a 2nd opinion and both doctors say the same thing. They believe I have a 2nd neuroma still and do not recommend any surgery for another year from now. LOL, like I can't wait to go through this all over again. But, that is not the only problem. It seems I have no padding on the ball of my foot so some of my paid is a result of the soft tissue around the joints of my toes etc... is hugly inflamed. No longer am I able to ice the area as it has become very sensitive to cold. Now I am going to physical therapy twice a week for electric.... but the doctors do not think it will help much and the outlook is bleak. I have already been told I will never again dance, run, ice skate, or do most other feet involved activities again. So I guess that only leaves me walking, and how much of that has still to be determined. To date, I am able to walk no further then a block, hobbling all the way. No more do I go shopping and browse, or much of anything else for that matter. The ball of the foot is numb to a light touch and all the pressing in the world that the doctors do creates no pain till a couple of hours later when it begins to ache for days. Only hurts to put weight on it and then it just aches when I am sitting around doing nothing. What are we to do? With all the miracles they are able to perform with plastic surgery anymore, you would think they would have something that they could do to take some fat from the butt and put it at the ball of the foot to act as new padding. I may be looking for miracles and no matter how depressed I get over this mess, I am not giving up hope in finding something that works.

Darlene on 2/27/05 at 14:22 (170049)

I am trying some 5% NSAID gel using an ultrasound to drive it further into my foot. It is called Diclofenac. If you have inflammation, you may want to give it a try. It does not have the side affects of cortisone.
I wonder why there are not more Morton's neuroma sufferers participating in this board. My pod tells me it is one of the most common foot problems. Perhaps people get better and move on.

If they suspect another neuroma, have they done a diagnostic ultrasound or MRI to see what's going on in there?

jim n on 5/03/05 at 20:31 (174202)

I am not a Dr. but you may want to see a neurologist and ask him about a drug called neuronton. Its a drug for nerve problems. Check it out

Sharon on 1/29/07 at 19:44 (221090)

Hi

Where do you purchase Diclofenac? I would like to try it for inflamation due to mortons neuroma that I have had for nearly 2 years. What I do not have is the pain. I do have an annoying tingly, numb, bunched up sock feeling that drives me nuts. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have already done the orthotics, icing, cortisone shot, sclerosing injections and nothing has helped much.

Thanks..Sharon

Jenny W on 3/23/08 at 18:32 (244948)

Hi Cathi

I too have Morons Neiroma for over five years now. I've had one operation which seemed to make it worse and I've just had another one, which again seems to have worsened the ball of my foot. I wished I'd read this website before going for my second operation I wouldn't have gone through with it. Although one consultant told me it was the metatarcel that had dropped but then I saw another consultant who said 'it was definitely Mortons Neuroma which had come back again'. I'm afraid I've lost faith in our National Health Authority. PLease let me know if you have found a cure. It does help knowing there is someone else who has the same problem, as not many people understand the pain we are going through. I feel exactly the same as you and my symptons are exactly the same.

Regards

Jenny W