Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Posterior Tibial Tendon Tear/question for DR?

Posted by Linda C. on 2/01/05 at 07:52 (168227)

I had surgery to repair a torn Posterior Tibialis,in which they did a Calcaneal Osteotomy,Tendon Transfer,achilles lengthening. My ankle was pretty deformed and painful before surgery. I had surgery In June,and I am just recovering because i had to have the screw removed in December. When I had the screw removed due to pain, one of the nerves was wrapped around it.
I have a question about this injury.,...........

I have had surgery for tarsal tunnel release,and plantar fascia release in both feet. Is this Injury likely to happen in my other foot?
I am glad i had this surgery because i have really had any pf pain,and now i have an arch. (i was flat footed) My other foot is constantly in pain,and i never had relief from surgery for TTS. What are the chances of injuring the posterior tibialis? Is there higher probability with people who had tarsal tunnel release?

Re: Posterior Tibial Tendon Tear/question for DR?

Joe B. on 2/01/05 at 08:15 (168230)

Hi Linda,
I just read your message and was curious about your foot surgery. I too have flat feet and have been debating on whether or not to have the corrective surgery. I also have to deal with an HMO and thier assigned Pod doesn't want to hear anything about that surgery. Where/who did your surgery?? You sound like it was worth it. Thanks.

Linda C. on 2/01/05 at 08:23 (168232)

I actually had surgery to repair the torn Posterior Tibial Tendon,and when my tendon was torn,my ankle bone was almost hitting the floor. My foot was really deformed,and when they repaired the tendon, they fixed my arch. My arch has had no pain,and i am almost tempted to ask about fixing my other arch.
I am in Massachusetts,and I actually had 2 Podiatrists do my surgery. They said it was a complicated surgery,which took 2 of them.
I am still healing,but have no arch pain. only pain where the screw was removed.

Joe B. on 2/01/05 at 14:08 (168251)

So how long were you off of that foot?? How was the post-op pain??

Linda C. on 2/02/05 at 13:50 (168328)

I was in a non-weight bearing cast for 8 weeks right after the surgery. Then I was on crutches until 2 weeks ago,but I also had the screw removed due to severe pain on December 14th. I had the first surgery June 11,2004. So I was on crutches 7 months. I did physical therapy for 3 months. The pain right after surgery wasn't bad at all. from 1-10 it was about a 5, but a few months later, i had shooting pains because of the screw being on a nerve.