Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Help! Calling all Word users/Mac users

Posted by Julie on 2/01/05 at 16:18 (168256)

My Word programme has suddenly decided not to oblige. Having just written and tried to save a letter, I got the message:

'Word cannot save or create this file. The disk may be full or write-protected. Try one or more of the following: Free more memory. Make sure that the disk you want to save the file on is not full, write=protected, or damaged.'

I don't know what any of this means, or how to do any of the things that are suggested. Can anyone help?

I am going to bed now, hoping that John or Kathy or someone can come to the rescue.

Thanks in advance.

Re: Help! Calling all Word users/Mac users

Julie on 2/01/05 at 16:18 (168257)

I forgot to say, I am also told 'Word cannot print'.

Kathy G on 2/01/05 at 16:48 (168260)

I don't use a Mac but I assume that you tried to save the letter on a different disk? There might be something on the disk you were using.

I have received this message from Microsoft Works and have reduced the letter, gone off and done something else and then come back and tried saving the document and found it works perfectly well.

Short of that, I have no idea what to tell you to do because all the other things I would try would result in your losing the letter. Nine out of ten problems with PCs are rectified by turning the computer off and then restarting it. If that doesn't work, sometimes it works if you unplug it and then plug it back in after a couple of minutes. A tech person explained why that worked but he totally lost me but it does often work for me.

One way to save the letter would be to copy and paste it into an email and send it to yourself. Then try restarting the computer and see if Word works for you. Sorry I'm not of more help to you. Maybe John has some better ideas.

Hope your healing well!

marie on 2/01/05 at 17:10 (168262)

Julie you're all filled up. You may need to remove some old files. Have you saved any big graphics files or anything?

wendyn on 2/01/05 at 23:02 (168295)

Julie, on my old computer I used to have that trouble. First, try the obvious...reboot your computer. If you get the message again, you may need to do some file housekeeping.

If all else fails - you may have to have someone wiser check to see if something is damaged.

How's that for an answer from someone who knows nothing about techonlogy (my ignorance is evident!!)

Re: Thanks!

Julie on 2/02/05 at 02:55 (168303)

Thanks, Kathy, Wendy and Marie. I knew I could count on you. Shutting own and rebooting worked and I'm back in business. I don't know why I didn't think of it myself - I've had to do it before and it has worked. I guess it's because like you, Kathy, I can't imagine how or why it works, and therefore forget the possibility.

Please tell me what you mean by 'saving to a different disc'. As far as I know (but what do I know?) I have only one disc, my hard disc. (Well, there are 24 more discs in my spine, of course, one of them slightly damaged, but that's a different story :)

Does anyone know what 'write-protected' means?

Julie on 2/02/05 at 02:56 (168304)

That should have read 'Shutting down'. Of course. Sorry.

john h on 2/02/05 at 10:30 (168315)

Write protected means you can only read a file and not write on it. Julie if your are running Operating System 10.x or later you really would do well to buy the shareware 'Cocktail'. This is one of the best applications to help keep your computer trouble free. It cost $15. Run it about once a week and after installing anything. Among other things it repairs 'Permissions'. This can be a constant source of trouble. Just Google and you will find a download site. The other utility that nearly all Mac publications list as one of the most important utilities you can own is Disk Warrior. It can often save the day and the hard drive and any information on it. Two times in my computer life it restored my hard drive and saved me from total loss of all on my computer. I always keep my complete hard drive backed up on an external drive. Backup backup backup should be the mantra of all who keep important info on their computer.

john h on 2/02/05 at 10:50 (168319)

I bet your computer needs a complete housekeeping Julie and you really need a couple of utilities to do this on a regular basis. I would guess you have never optimized your hard drive. Do not do this if you have not backed up your drive. Take a look under 'Utilities' on your hard drive. This is located in your Applications Folder. Then go to 'Activities Monitor'. There are several tabs you can look at here. Look at how much free space you have on your hard drive. You can also see just how much memory each application is using at any given moment in time. When your hard drive has never been optimized over a long period of time you have your information on the hard drive all over the place and it takes longer to access it when called upon. When you optimize the drive it will place all the related information together. Sort of like storing apples in every room of the house when you really need them all in the kitchen pantry. I think PC's come with a built in optimizer but you need a utility with a Mac. You also might run Disk First Air which is in your Utility Folder. This can cure a world of problems. For some problems you may need to start up your computer with the starup disk that came with the computer then run Disk First Aid. Your owner manual will tell you how to do this.

Tech Support in Little Rock

JudyS on 2/02/05 at 11:37 (168322)

Get a PC?

:) :) :) :)

Julie on 2/03/05 at 02:08 (168367)

Not on your life! What can you be thinking?
:) :) :) :) ;) :) :)

Julie on 2/03/05 at 02:10 (168368)

Thanks John. I had a look under Utilities, found Disk First Aid, and chickened out. I'll back everything up and have another look. My trouble is I am simply scared stiff of doing anything to my computer that I haven't done before, or don't know how to do.

Fancy a trip to London for some hands-on Tech Support?

Julie on 2/03/05 at 03:50 (168369)

I don't seem to have Activities Monitor in my Utilities folder.

John H on 2/03/05 at 10:32 (168385)

Mac users never switch Judy. It is a cult thing.

JudyS on 2/04/05 at 17:15 (168512)

....my point exactly, John dear!