Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Podiatrist's Diagnosis

Posted by Bob J. on 2/01/05 at 19:05 (168273)

Doesn't it make sense that one of the first things that a Podiatrist should do is to take a critical look at what you are wearing on your feet. After undergoing minor foot surgery and purchasing expensive orthotics from a Podiatrist, and having very little improvement, I visited a cobbler at some friends suggestions. He spent about 20 minutes measuring my feet and found that I have been wearing too small shoes for years. 10D vs. 10 1/2EE.
Don't you think the doctor should have looked at that or would that just preclude the income from foot surgery and profit from orthotic sales?

Re: Podiatrist's Diagnosis

Dr. Z on 2/01/05 at 19:15 (168278)

What was the problem that you wanted your podiatrist to help you with? Inspection and or conversation about shoe type is part of the podiatric history usually

katdoc on 2/01/05 at 22:12 (168287)

That is interesting to know. I purposely wore the shoes that irritated my foot the most when I first developed plantar fasciitis and pointed them out to my podiatrist. He didn't even give them a second glance and didn't care at all about even the Brand of shoe, much less the fit.

Dr. Z on 2/01/05 at 22:23 (168289)

So what was the reason for your visit . This could have something to do with the lack of importance to your shoes.

Julie on 2/02/05 at 01:19 (168299)

It does make sense, Bob, and you make a very important point. Shoe quality and size are vitally important, of course. Many people wear shoes that are too small, and this is partly due to the fact that feet are no longer examined and measured by the folks who sell the shoes. But it's also because our feet spread as we grow older, so that the size we wore when we were 20 is almost certainly too small when we're 40, 50 or 60. If we continue to assume we're a size 5 when we're really a size 6 or 7, our feet are obviously going to be in trouble. My experience bears this out - my feet are two sizes larger than they were 40 years ago.

Width, as you've discovered, is as important as length. Thank goodness for your cobbler. I hope you're more comfortable now.

And yes, to answer your question (as I am not a doctor I can perhaps speak rather more freely) I think that if someone consults a podiatrist, for whatever reason, the examination and eveluation should include the shoes he or she is wearing, size as well as quality.

Bob J. on 2/02/05 at 17:48 (168336)

I had pain in my left foot which he immediately treated by neuroma surgery and then selling me very expensive orthotics which proved needless after discovering my shoe size problem. Excuse my skepticisim, but I even question the surgery need after discovering the aforementioned facts.

Dr. Z on 2/02/05 at 19:46 (168346)

Hi
I have a neuroma in my left foot which is well controlled with a wider shoe. Shoe fit is very important aspect of foot comfort and is very well documented in causing neuroma pain

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/04/05 at 14:52 (168489)

Julie:
How true. Believe it or not, that can be one of the harder things we have to do because so many people are in a state of denial concerning the fact that their feet expand with age, pregancy, chronic overpronation, years of walking/standing/working on hard surfaces.
Ed

Julie on 2/05/05 at 02:20 (168540)

Ed, I would imagine you'd find this state of denial particularly the case with women. I'm sure men's feet spread and grow too, but I doubt they'd be as vain about shoe size. Am I right, or am I right?
:)