Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Wendy Wendy

Posted by John H on 2/02/05 at 12:56 (168325)

Coors and Moulson are merging. I like them both.

Re: Wendy Wendy

wendyn on 2/02/05 at 22:08 (168358)

Hubby says 'maybe Coors will finally learn how to make beer'.

I say 'THERE IS NO U IN MOULSON' Unless that's some weird American spelling. Molson. Molson Candian.

Although, we do put a U in lots of words: colour, humour, labour....

vince on 2/03/05 at 06:42 (168372)

Beer is swill- the only drinkable alcoholic beverage is a 25 year old single malt scotch like Glenfidich and only with a good cigar like a Churchill. Anything else is simply boozing.

Julie on 2/03/05 at 08:30 (168379)

How intolerant you are, Vince. Many people like beer. I'm not one of them, but I'm told that a good beer is a great drink. I don't like Glenfiddich either (if I'm drinking whiskey, which is never, I prefer Glenmorangie, or used to). A well-made wine is my drink.

Cigars? Yecchh.

John H on 2/03/05 at 10:02 (168382)

Hey Julie a cold beer is really great after mowing the yard. That warm beer in your pubs never tasted very good until I had about three and then they seemed to be ok. I also played darts a lot. In Scotland (Prestwick) we had an Officers Club on a small mountain that was an ancient castle. That was really a cool O. Club. All our rooms had working fire places. I remember dancing with the local girls in a dance hall where you danced around the hall in a circle. You never never took any step that would not keep you moving in the right direction. That was a bit hard to get accustomed to as in the 50's dancing in the U.S. you moved in all directions. I think I told you but on one occasion I arrived in London rather late at night. Our crew arrived at the downtown London hotel and they had no rooms and it was near midnight. As we sat there the hotel manager walked up and said the Commander of NATO had a suite and that he had left word that if any American military ever got stuck to put them in his suite which was like a house with a large balacony over looking London. As a lowly Lieutenant I was in high cotton. Myself, the co-pilot and Navigator enjoyed two days in this luxury suite. Flying in England was always a challenge as it seems every takeoff and landing was in fog and rain with low visability. Bet that has not changed much.

John H on 2/03/05 at 10:31 (168384)

Molson? Moulson? As you know spelling is not my strong point. I do know how to drink it. We will send you some of that high Colorado mountain water to put in your Molson.

Julie on 2/03/05 at 11:05 (168387)

John, when you come to London to give me tech support :) you will find it difficult to find warm beer. Things have changed. Not the weather, though: your takeoffs and landings would still be fraught. Bet that sharpened your skills!

Re: Julie

John H on 2/03/05 at 11:48 (168392)

Flying in different countries is very different for pilots. In the U.S. when you make a Radar Approach in bad weather you are talking to a Radar Operator who is continually giving you heading and altitude changes with no break in communication on final approach. You are continuously making 1 degree course corrections and changes in altitude above and below glide path in increments of 10-20 feet. The Radar Operator basically does not stop talking on final approach all the way to touch down. In the UK the Radar Operators are very slow and deliberate. There may be 5 seconds between transmissions on final approach. To a pilot this can seem like an eternity when you have become accustomed to the fast talking American operators. You wonder if your radio has gone out. The Scots are even slower than the Brits. Safety wise it really makes no difference as you stay on glide path and course. After a few trips you become accustomed to the differences. It is also difficult at first to learn all the various accents you encounter in Europe. My first few trips I thought they were speaking in a foreign language. Of course all altitudes and temps in Europe are given in metric so you have to accustom your brain to this. In France I have been cleared for take off with fog/rain with no further instructions as what altitude to fly to or heading changes to make after lift off. This is never done in the U.S. You always have specific instructions when given permission for takeoff such as ' You are cleared for take off. Climb to 1000 feet and turn right to heading 270 degrees and contact New York Departure on channel 243.0' You then repeat this exactly back to the tower and take off. In France if my radio went out after lift off I would more or less be on my own if I had no take off instructions. I hope these procedures have changed and imagine they have. Passengers would be supprised at what goes on up front sometimes. Flying the north atlantic we often would develop St Elmos Fire on the propeller tips in bad weather. A ring of fire would develop on the tips of all four engine propellers. This would always get the passengers excited. On the pilots windshield you could get sparkling electricity fire spots. The A/C ducts on the pilots and copilots sides could sometimes sen a shot of something liike lightning all the way across the cockpit. Not dangerous but in the middle of a dark night in weather it got your attention. With jets now flyingnear 40,000 feet across the Atlantic you do not get to experience those fun days.

Re: Julie

Kathy G on 2/04/05 at 09:32 (168470)

When my husband and I visited Ireland thirty years ago, we visited many of my relatives. There were a lot of them since my grandfather was one of ten children. At every home, we were offered Guinness or tea. He likes tea; so he would opt for that when possible. I would politely accept the tea and then drink as little of it as possible so that I wouldn't be insulting. When he was given Guinness it was always served at room temperature.

One of his favorite stories is about the time we spent with my grandmother's niece and her husband. They lived in County Leitrim, which was at the time, the poorest county in Ireland. They had a nice farmhouse. They were quite proud as they had just replaced the thatched roof with a roof of - I can't remember - but I think it must have been slate. When my husband accepted the offer of a Guinness, he followed the host who was in the middle of a conversation. Off of the kitchen, which was immaculate, was a pantry with a dirt floor and a sink, etc. There were glasses sitting on the sideboard of the sink. Two roosters sat upon the glasses. Without a pause in the conversation, the host shushed them off, opened the warm Guinness and poured it into the glasses. My husband said it didn't taste any different than any of the other Guinness he had over there - room temperature and horrible!

At the same time, I was enjoying the most delicious piece of Irish Bread I had during our whole trip, along with a glass of delicious unpasturized milk from one of their cows. They were the most delightful relatives we met and unlike my grandfather's relatives, who had all moved to Dublin, they were less worldly and not at all Americanized. It was the highlight of our trip.

When my son went to Ireland, he said what Julie said, Guinness is now served cold. While Americans may find it more palatable, they'll miss the charm of the old ways that we were lucky enough to enjoy.