Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

post neuroma surgery

Posted by patti on 2/02/05 at 13:42 (168327)

My 18 yr old son had neuroma surgery nearly 8 weeks ago. He continues to have pain in that area, mostly when walking on hard surfaces. His doctor seems to think it could be scar tissue. I'm worried since I know so many have had such successful experiences with this surgery. He gets some relief with a gel insert in the shoe, but I'm wondering if this will ever subside?

Re: post neuroma surgery

Barko on 2/02/05 at 13:53 (168329)

Patti- I had my surgery last April 21st. Its a very long recovery. My Pod told me that it might take almost a year to be pain free. I'm just getting to that point now. It still aches and hurts if I'm on my feet for a few hours. But still its way better than it was. Dont get discouraged just yet. As long as hes feeling gradually better then its going in the right direction.

Barko on 2/02/05 at 15:48 (168334)

Patti- I'm sorry I didnt see that you posted in the ask the dr's fourm. (I'm sure not a Dr.) I just see something about neuroma surgery and feel compelled to help. I had never heard of a neuroma untill I had one and wish I had more information before the surgery. Again good luck to your son.

patti on 2/02/05 at 18:15 (168340)

Thanks so much for your response - I really wasn't sure where to post my question, probably patients who've been through it would have been a better idea. It makes me feel better to know there's others who haven't had such a perfect result so quickly. Do you where any gel inserts or anything else to be comfortable?

Barko on 2/02/05 at 18:35 (168342)

Patti- Did your son have a osteotomy at the same time as the neuromectomy? I did and that took a little longer to heal. I wear inserts called spendco. I cant yet wear the custom inserts, theyr too hard on my feet just yet. I also have a problem in my other foot with a ruptured plantar fascia so now I wear better shoes that seem to help with the site of the neuroma surgery also.

Dr. Z on 2/02/05 at 19:16 (168345)

Patti

It takes months up to one year for finally healing rsolution. Barko has given you a very honest future appraisal

patti on 2/03/05 at 05:58 (168370)

Thanks Dr. Z - I wish our podiatrist had mentioned this, it might have saved a bit of anxiety. From what I had heard, this would be aok in 3-4 weeks. I appreciate your assessment.