Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

6 weeks post ESWT--My Report

Posted by Connie H. on 2/03/05 at 09:24 (168380)

Hi! I had ESWT done on both feet on December 21st. Thanks for all of the information I received from all of you here on this site. I want to share my experience for the benefit of others who are considering this treatment.

I'm doing very well. The procedure was done in my (new) podiatrists office in Dallas, and the worst part was the shots to numb my feet. (That wasn't unbearable either) The worst part of recovery, was recovering from the shots, too! I took Dr. Z's advice which I read here, and applied moist heat 2X's a day for 20 minutes. I stretched 2-3X's a day as well. I did only the minimum activity for 2-3 weeks, actually they were pretty sore. That's all I could do. I've increased activity as my feet tolerated--if I felt strain, I would sit down. My feet have gone from pain upon exertion, to feeling strained if I stood too long or walked too far, to now--no pain at all. I went shopping last Friday, and came home with TIRED feet!!! I haven't had that happen in years! For years I've had painful feet if I did anything like that. I now have no pain, just tiredness, sometimes a little soreness if I'm on my feet too much...and this is only 6 weeks! I've found stretching helps when I feel that soreness. It goes away! My pod. also made me new orthotics with more arch support, and those helped tremendously. I put them on, and felt relief almost immediately. She also recommended motion control shoes, which I purchased. I am so glad I did the ESWT! By the way, I found my doctor on United Shockwave Therapy's website. My insurance paid for it (even though they said they wouldn't) with my out of pocket being $800 total. I was willing to pay it all, if I could get some relief! I can't believe I put up with that much pain for that many years! (6 years) My pod. told me that if I quit wearing orthotics and quit stretching, I can be right back where I was, because I have a lot of scar tissue. Anyway, I hope this helps someone who needs more information about this procedure. Keep asking questions, don't give up. Thanks for listening, y'all!

-Connie H.

Re: 6 weeks post ESWT--My Report

Monte on 2/03/05 at 10:09 (168383)

Connie...good for you....but still take it easy and wait the full 16 weeks.

I had ESWT performed on my left heel on Dec 17th, along with the procedure where they injected my own blood (the healing plasma only) into the heel after the ESWT was completed.

At this time, I feel that my foot is better than before. I don't feel like I am walking with a knot in my heel.

The rest of my feet still ache...but I hope for the day when it all subsides.

I also stopped wearing my orthotics and started using Bio-soles. They don't cause my arches to hurt as bad as before.

Can you please explain more about your pain locations and symptoms prior to getting treatment?

Thanks
Monte

Connie H. on 2/03/05 at 20:31 (168446)

Monte,
I am taking it easy! I still feel strain and fatigue if I do to much. I had PF for 6 years. It started out feeling like a bone bruise in the classic pf spot on my left foot. IT then spread to my right foot. My arches don't really hurt, it was pretty much all right at the point where my heel & arch intersect. (Hope this makes sense) Although I also have a little pain in the front of my foot...more aches than anything. ANyway, I tried custom orthotics (which my new podiatrist says were inadequate), physical therapy with ultrasound and deep tissue massage, night splints, stretching, ice, and cortizone shots. The only thing that helped was the cortizone shot, but it only lasted for one month. It just got worse and worse. I had first morning pain and pain all day. I'm very thankful that this seems to be working. She did tell me that I'll need to wear orthotics and stretch 2X's a day for the rest of my life. Hope this helps!

Lori S. on 2/04/05 at 00:09 (168462)

I am so happy for you Connie!... I have had a little set back.. my left arch/heel are bothering me again... Best wishes for a total recovery!
Lorinda

Dorothy on 2/04/05 at 02:15 (168463)

Lori - Are you finding anything that brings you some relief or improvement? Does the PF stretch or anything like that help at all? Any of the techniques or ideas recommended here?
I do hope your setback is gone soon.

Connie H. on 2/04/05 at 12:04 (168481)

Lori,
I read your posts about your setback. I'm so sorry. I've been so surprised at how well I've done. When I do get sore, the heat & stretching seems to really help. I did overdo it yesterday (I felt so good, & she gave me the release to walk....) but 20 minutes in the hot foot spa & stretching really helped. Today, I'm better. I haven't had this much hope for relief for YEARS. It's still a composite of ESWT, stretching, orthotics, rest, night splints, but I'm so much better than I've been for years. This board has been so helpful and encouraging. I feel compelled to urge others who are just reading, to take action and find a doctor who will work with you, who is committed to helping you find improvement. It makes a huge difference. My first pod. was pretty passive & would have done cortizone shots forever. This new pod. is so different. She's aggressive in that she wants you to get better, starting with conservative treatment, but she's not adverse to trying new things if that's what it takes.

Re: report card

Lori S. on 2/04/05 at 16:23 (168495)

Connie,

I am happy for you. I am happy with my choice to try eswt still. My quality of life is greatly improved! I am being hopeful that this is just a little set back, it is still not even close to as bad as it was! I still use the rest, night splints, heat (ice helped before eswt), and stretching/strengthening. The PF Stretch really helps alot. I would encourage anyone to try eswt, if they can.

I am actually afraid of the pain in my left foot, a fear of being in pain like I was before. So, I have been taking it easy, and have returned to taping it again sometimes. Ihope you continue to improve. Isnt it great to be able to walk? To not live on pain meds/anti-inflamatories?... feel like a human again! Keep in touch, if not here, in my regular email, been waiting to hear from you.

Best wishes for many more better days,
Lorinda

Re: thankful for this place

Lori S. on 2/04/05 at 16:29 (168496)

Dorothy,

I am still greatly improved since I had ESWT. I still stretch-the PF Stretch is great! I couldnt walk more than an hour before eswt, now I can pretty much walk anytime. My left foot has been bothersome lately, but I am trying to convince myself its just a set back. So, I am taking it easy, and have started taping it again. I am afraid to be in the pain I was before, I will never take forgranted my feet again!

This place is the best thing I have found. Thanks to all the people who take time to share their stories, information, and advice. Just having a aplace to vent sometimes is wonderful, we have all had our share of bad days, at least here, other people understand. My hubby, friends, etc, they dont have a clue, I didnt have a clue how important my feet were to me until this happened. I read here all the time, I just dont post much. LOL, this is the first place I go when I get online.

ANyways, time to go pick up kids from school,,,,,
Best wishes for great tomorrows,
Lorinda

Re: thankful for this place

Dorothy on 2/04/05 at 16:38 (168499)

Lori -

And to you, too. Even though we've been here for a while, I think we can still learn new things all the time - I do anyway. I hope that some 'new thing' is the tip or technique that helps you get beyond your setback.

I think 'Lorinda' is such a pretty name and one I've never heard before.

Best wishes ~

Dorothy on 2/04/05 at 16:44 (168500)

Lori -
I have just now read your post to Connie with your comment that you are actually afraid of the pain in your left foot. That is understandable, but the fear may also be participating in the pain itself. Did you read Julie's recent post to me about pain, acceptance, etc.?? Maybe she will see this and post some specifically to you. Also, if you haven't read the John Sarno books, you might want to take a look - his emphasis is how our emotions affect our bodies and specifically circulation, the fact that we experience pain, then we anticipate it with fear, tension, etc. and we actively participate in its persistence. This is NOT an 'it's all in your head' thing AT ALL! Do not let anyone lead you to assume that about Sarno's ideas - and anyway, your own experience tells you the truth about your own experience! But it does give some insights into this whole process and even when there are debilitating physical triggers for pain, there are things that our emotions do (and insight can help undo) that contribute and/or cause pain BECAUSE of how our emotions affect the body's processes.

Kamal S. on 2/06/05 at 21:52 (168660)

Connie,

Would you mind sharing where in Dallas you got ESWT done? I am a long term sufferer of PF and also live in Dallas. Am thinking about it.

Thanks,
Kamal.

Lori S. on 2/07/05 at 01:52 (168667)

Dorothy,

I have read almost everything posted on this board in the last year or so. I will keep this in mind. I agree with some of Sarno. I also have hypothyroidism and my levels are off again. This usually triggers pains, aches, swelling, migraines,depression, etc. We are adjusting my meds, once again. Someday it may get normal,,, LOL. I hope anyways. Winter seems to throw my levels off. I am awaiting summer, sun, and being outside in my yard working in my flower beds, since last year I didnt get to!

Actually, I grew up in a town of 450 people and there was another Lorrinda( different spelling) there.. But I havent met many with this name. Thank you again,
Lorinda

Connie H. on 2/15/05 at 07:43 (169079)

Hi Kamal, Sorry I took so long to respongd--I haven't looked at the board in a few days. I went to Dr. Mary Beth Crane at Foot and Ankle Associates of North Texas. Here's their website. http://www.faant.com I drove to her office from Longview, and it's worth the drive for me! (2 1/2 hours). She is very energetic, knowledgeable, and passionate about getting you better. I am grateful I found her. Let me know if you need more information. Hope this helps.

Kamal S. on 2/20/05 at 22:11 (169529)

Connie,

Thanks a lot for the information. If you can also tell me how much it cost and how long you have been suffering from PF, that would be great. I have PF in both feet and its been a difficult 3 years.

If you prefer, you can email me at (email removed).

Regards,
Kamal.