Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Multifidus - for Dorothy

Posted by Julie on 2/03/05 at 11:56 (168393)

Dorothy, in my research into back stuff, I have been homing in on Multifidus. You have done plenty of research yourself, so I expect you are aware of these vital stabilising muscles - they, and the transverse abdominals, are the main stabilisers of the lower back. There is loads of information on good websites if you google, but what I wanted to tell you is that there appears to be an excellent book on the subject: The Multifidus Back Pain Solution, by Jim Johnson and Scott Bode. Here is a link to a website where you can read some reviews of it:

http://www.reviewcentre.com/reviews19719.html

I've ordered a copy - there are plenty around, including used ones at very low prices.

Re: Multifidus - for Dorothy

Dorothy on 2/03/05 at 13:41 (168408)

Yes, Julie, I agree - and I do have that book (I should be so embarrassed at the number of books that I have on these subjects!) - and I do like the book. It's solid, down-to-earth, clear information. I am looking at the book right now and here is one quote: 'While one can reasonably argue that the multifidus muscle can be a direct or indirect cause of your back pain, this we know for sure: the research clearly shows us that there is a STRONG ASSOCIATION (author used italics...I can't here) between abnormal multifidus muscles and low-back pain and that exercising the multifidus helps. So until we have the adequate knowledge and technology to precisely identify the exact causes and mechanisms of low-back pain, think about treating the FUNCTIONS (again - author/italics) and not questionable, traditional diagnoses. This is what multifidus strengthening excercises are really all about.'

The information is useful and interesting. The exercises are ones that I do but that were derived from other, previously used, sources - and I'm guessing that will be the case for you, too. Still, the book is worthwhile.

The epigraph quotes are nice, e.g. 'Knowledge rests not upon truth alone, but upon error also.' Carl G. Jung

Thanks, Julie, for the book tip. No surprise that I already have it! I'm always glad when someone discovers a book that I also like. Good luck and best wishes -

Re: Multifidus - for Dorothy

Julie on 2/03/05 at 15:41 (168427)

I'm not in the least surprised that you have the Multifidus book, Dorothy. The thing that has made me sit up (straight, of course :) ) is the statement that I've found on several of the good websites: that multifidus does not recover by itself after surgery. So I have got to address my multifidus. I am getting quite fond of it already, and I look forward to receiving and working with the book. I'm sure the exercises, or some of them, will be familiar. I am working right now with the Body Control Pilates Manual, and I'd be surprised if the basic, essential exercise, the location, isolation, and contraction of transversus abdominis (which automatically contracts multifidus) isn't prominent. in Jim Johnson's book.

Onward and upward. I hope you aren't getting flu. But if you are, use the downtime to work on TA and MF.