Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

New Podiatrist

Posted by Barko on 2/03/05 at 12:48 (168400)

I finally have the chance to get a second opinion about the outcome of my neuroma surgery. I have a appointment tomorrow so maybe I'm asking about this a little too late.

I had the surgery last April. My Dr. was very up front with me about the long recovery and how long I'd be off my feet. My problem is my toe that is to the right of the incision sight has been terribly effected by this. Most of the pain from the neuroma is gone unless I over do it and stand too long. He did tell me that I'd most likely lose most of the feeling in both toes on either side of the incision, I was ok with that. But this toe was funny right after the bandages and stitches came out. Right away it drifted on top the the next toe to the right. I had no control of it and couldnt even force it to stay in place. I showed it to the Dr. and he said it could be fixed with a ligament release. He did that in his office and kept my toes taped together for three weeks afterward. After that came off the toe was completly limp, it flopped when I walked. Over time it has stiffened a little, but not much. Now it looks like for lack of a better phrase, a limp hammertoe. Sorry for such a long post but I wanted to give the whole scenario.

My question is, what questions should I be asking the new Dr? I want to get this fixed if possible as its quite uncomfortable when I have shoes on. When I asked the Dr. that did the surgery if that was how it was supposed to turn out? His response was to bend my toes up and down and say 'you can bend them up and down, and I had to cut the tendon, what more do you want?'

I did show it to the OS thats treating me for a ruptured plantar fascia in my other foot (I know I've had a really bad foot year all around) and all he would say is 'that doesn't look good'. I've searched all over the internet and cant find anything like this. This might be my only shot for a while on getting another opinion (an insurance issue) so I want to make sure and make the most of it. Thank you for any help you can give me
Kathy

Re: New Podiatrist

Darlene on 2/03/05 at 13:26 (168404)

I'm not a doc but I'm wondering why he cut the tendon to do a ligament release. Something must have happened in that first surgery to affect the next toe over. MN surgery just removes the nerve, nothing else.

Barko on 2/03/05 at 13:35 (168405)

Darlene- When he said that I got the impression that he had a 'whoops' moment. I hope I can get an unbiased opinion from this Dr since they are in the same network.

ann c on 2/11/05 at 17:48 (168913)

what is pronation and can you help it by yourself

Julie on 2/12/05 at 01:49 (168920)

'Pronation' is the natural rolling-in movement of the foot after the heel strikes the ground. There is nothing 'wrong' with pronation, but when the foot rolls too far in it is called 'excessive pronation' and is often due to flattened arches. Excessive pronation can damage the foot's structures, lead to plantar fasciitis and other foot problems, and cause problems further up, to ankle, knee, hip and lower back.

Orthoses (orthotics) are usually made to correct excessive pronation. You need to see a podiatrist first for an evaluation and diagnosis.

It's possible that a diligent, consistent programme of appropriate exercises would help correct excessive pronation. A good physiotherapist might be able to help.