Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Kathy G! Calling Kathy G!

Posted by Dorothy on 2/03/05 at 15:20 (168420)

Kathy G - You'll never guess what appeared today on the CNN.com online news site: go here and you will see. Before you go though, just ponder for a moment about how strange and uncanny life is. Ok, now you can go...

http://www.cnn.com/2005/SHOWBIZ/Music/02/03/pattie.boyd/index.html

Re: Kathy G! Calling Kathy G!

Kathy G on 2/04/05 at 08:58 (168468)

What a coincidence, Dorothy! That was really interesting. It's not like I had spent a lot of time wondering what Patty Boyd was doing these days but I've often thought she must have been something special if she so captivated two men.

As to 'Layla and other love Songs,' I have it on vinyl and on cd and when people talk about their top twenty-five favorite rock songs of all times, Layla is in my top five, if not number one. I'd say I drag out Layla and listen to it at least once a month. I absolutley love the song. My husband doesn't see the charm. He thinks it's a pretty good song but he doesn't think it's the masterpiece I think it is. And I think 'Something' is one of the prettiest love songs I've ever heard. Patty must have really been something!

My poor children were subjected to my music all their lives. My son said when he was in college, somebody said they'd discovered some 'old band that rocked.' I can't remember which band it was. He said he faked everyone all out by knowing all the words to every song on the cd. He said that's what happens when you're raised by a mother who played music all the time.

Less you think I'm single dimensional, they are equally familiar with soundtracks to Sound of Music, Camelot, etc, and Ray Charles, Frank Sinatra, Andy Williams, Henry Mancini, Johnny Mathis and on and on. The only thing I never played was classical music. Try as I might, I don't care for classical music.

Thanks for the link, Dorothy. The timing was a really uncanny.

Re: Kathy G! Calling Kathy G!

Dorothy on 2/04/05 at 10:47 (168477)

No, Kathy G, I don't think you're single-dimensional in the least. I think you sound like you'd be lots of fun to hang out with - and I could go toe to toe with you on song lyrics! My husband always manages to get into any description of me to anyone, 'she knows all the words to all the songs...' - and it's true that I used to, but not anymore. As the lyrics and the titles and the .... something else....all drop away, I am left with the worry that it might have been my only charm and now what will I do? I am no longer like the subject of 'Something'.....'something in the way she moves, attracts me.....' -- nope, unless an ungainly, uncertain way of carriage with gingerly gait is the ticket. ---- sigh ----

Yes, 'Layla' - and yes, 'Something' - perfect. Just saying the titles, brings the songs instantly to mind. She must have been something, as you say. Quite a story there -

I sing 'Here Comes the Sun' as a kind of mantra - and I think this one HAS been a long winter....

Re: "Here comes the sun!"

Suzanne D. on 2/04/05 at 10:57 (168479)

Yes, Dorothy, I feel like it has been a long winter. And the sun is shining today here! We chronicle the weather on our calendar in the classroom, and we have had only a small handful of sunny days since we returned from Christmas break.

The sun came out yesterday afternoon, and we went out to the playground for a few minutes. As we walked outside, I said, 'Oh, the sun! It feels so good!'

Then I heard a little boy say, 'Oh, my shadow! I haven't seen you in a long time!' I thought that was cute. We, of course, had been discussing shadows with Groundhog Day being this week.

Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 2/04/05 at 14:20 (168485)

Sunshine here, too - isn't it great? It does so much for the spirits.
I love your little boy student's comment - it is wonderful how children 'commune' with so many aspects of the world that most of us ignore - the appearance of his shadow, for example.
Suzanne, I am often encouraging John H to write because he has so many really terrific stories and such a delightful of looking at his experiences. I think the same is true of you - you are a great story-teller and you have great stories to tell. I especially think that teachers and parents would love reading your stories and the kind of teacherly homilies that you derive from your experiences, homilies that really apply to all of us whether in school or not. You have a very warm, engaging style and you capture the essence of the story so nicely. Anyway, I always enjoy your writing here and think you might even find a wider audience.(well, not wider than some of us - I'm gettin' pretty wide! :-( but you know what I mean :-) In any case, yes! Here comes the sun!! And I say: it's all right.

JudyS on 2/04/05 at 17:46 (168517)

In San Diego today the weather has produced one of those days that is too beautiful to describe. Blue, blue skies, warm sun....etc. etc. ! All my doors and windows are open ........even after 30 years this kind of weather in early February is amazing to this Michigander!

Dorothy on 2/04/05 at 20:45 (168528)

Oh, that sounds heavenly!! I can imagine it now. In my humble opinion, San Diego's good weather is the best weather there is. There is something about the light and the level of humidity - I'm referring to when it's all just right - that's just perfect. But I love lots of places...so I'm promiscuous with my geographical love!

Suzanne D. on 2/05/05 at 07:39 (168547)

Thank you so much, Dorothy! I really take as a compliment what you wrote to me. Sometimes when the school children say such engaging things, I think, 'I should write that down'. Then there is always so much to do and so little time...Don't we all say that? I will give thought to what you wrote, and I thank you again.

Yesterday afternoon we were able to go to the playground once again in the bright sunshine, and I heard another child say, 'Hi, Shadow! It's good to have you back again.'

Suzanne :)