Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

ESWT yesterday

Posted by Sharon B. on 2/04/05 at 19:11 (168520)

My husband had the Ossatron procedure yesterday. No pain yesterday of course due to the drugs from the surgery, but today burning as before. The doctor told him some feel better right away, some in a few weeks, and some in a few months, and of course some not at all. Basically the same info we've read here. He's trying to wear his soft orthotics (custom made) that the doctor had recommended he try before doing the surgery, but they hurt him too much then to wear them. He's been wearing hard custom orthotics for years, but he can't decide if perhaps they were part of the reason he never had any relief. His doctor highly recommended soft ones. So he's trying the soft ones now. His doctor said he could use heat and stretch a little, but hoped he'd get to where he didn't need to at all. He's been unable to stretch at all because stretching and the night splints only made it worse, so he's hesitant to stretch now. Has anyone here had the problem with stretching before only to find out that after the procedure it helps?? Any tips as to what to expect now would be appreciated. Thanks!

Re: ESWT yesterday

Dr. Z on 2/04/05 at 21:52 (168534)

Hi
I know that you are asking posters but I do see alot of post eswt patients
You don't want to stretch or do anything that is causing pain at this point post ESWT

I use heat alot post eswt however if your husband is having alot of pain then it is bests to switch to ice until the foot calms down. Usually within one week When in doubt have your doctor examine your feet

Sharon B. on 2/05/05 at 12:01 (168558)

Thank you for the info. He's been icing today. Had to stop the soft orthotics..too much pain. He's in the same pain he was in before the surgery, so obviously he won't be one of those that has immediate relief. He has a long way to go till the 16 weeks are up, but it's still hard not to get discouraged.

Dr. Z on 2/05/05 at 12:13 (168559)

Hi

It still could be from the actual procedure. So there is a chance that this will let up in the next week.

vince on 2/05/05 at 15:07 (168568)

If your husband had been treated with the Dornier he probably would have no pain now. The Ossatron theenergy into heal bone and the Dornier sends no energy directly at the bone. In my opinion the Ossatron is dangerous because of the energy banging into the bone. I'm wonder if some of the people who have had the Ossatron treatment haven't had fractured heel bones- maybe some who have had pain may have. I think your husband should have his heel x-rayed to see if the heel has been fractured by the Ossatron.

Dr. Z on 2/05/05 at 15:41 (168570)

Vince
Do we know if treatment was rendered with the ossatron? An x-ray won't show a fracture in the calcaneus with ESWT. Whether this is from the dornier or the ossaton there a few patient that do have pain post- eswt. In theory yes the ossatron has the potential of causing stress fractures but I haven't read or seen this reported.

Julie on 2/05/05 at 15:49 (168571)

Yes, Dr Z, Sharon said the procedure was with the Ossatron.

Dr. Z on 2/05/05 at 16:22 (168575)

Yep I just went back the first post

Sharon B. on 2/05/05 at 21:18 (168586)

Well, this is the first we've heard of the stress fractures, but his pain at this point isn't anything out of the ordinary. It's basically the same pain he was having before the procedure. We did our research and were satisfied with the Ossatron. I guess when you think 'surgery' you want quick results, but we've known all along that it most likely wouldn't happen that way. His doctor even told him his was a severe case so we are hoping for whatever improvement he can get.

Another question.....he is taking 3 weeks off from work, and can take an additional 3 if needed. His doctor really suggests to all the patients to take 6 weeks if they can, but my husband is leaning towards 3 at this point. I'm sure the pain may dictate, but how long have some of you taken off work? My husband's job requires working and standing on concrete.

vince on 2/05/05 at 21:41 (168588)

He should not be totaly off his feet. Reduced activity is what is best- at least that's what worked for me.

Julie on 2/06/05 at 01:50 (168594)

Standing and working on concrete are the most punishing conditions for the feet. If he cannot get a temporary transfer to sit-down duties, he would be well advised to take the full six weeks off, extending even that if he isn't significantly better by then. You don't want to have paid for an expensive procedure and undo all the good work by returning to that sort of work situation too soon.

Just my opinion.

Tina H on 2/06/05 at 15:09 (168628)

Vince, I don't think that you can make a sweeping statement like 'if you had been treated with Dornier you wouldn't have pain now' First of all with all ESWT, pain reduction is a very gradual thing with some patients not really showing significant pain reduction until 6-12 or more weeks after. Secondly there have been many posters, myself included, who initally had more pain following treatment with Dornier for several weeks after.

Lori S. on 2/07/05 at 01:43 (168666)

I would have to agree with Tina. I had more pain for nearly 9 weeks, then it improved. I think everything depends on an individual basis. We have all had different things work, because we all are individual people, with individual bodies, that respond in their own ways.

Lori S. on 2/07/05 at 02:00 (168668)

Sharron,

Everyone is different, but I couldnt spend much time on my feet until around 8 to 9 weeks post ESWT. His doctor should be able to get him more time off, if needed. I hope he is feeling better soon, I couldnt tollerate orthotics at all, I live in my Birkenstocks.

It took a long time for my feet to get so bad, so i decided I needed to give them time to heal. I didnt stretch, or do anything that caused more pain. Though the PF Stretch listed here seemed to help me alot after the first week or so. I used heat, at first I didnt think it was helping, but it really did, and still does-sometimes. I let my feet decide what I could or couldnt do. The first couple months I couldnt stand to go to the store, concrete floors, and more than 1/2 hour and I hurt so bad I felt like I would be sick.

I am not trying to scare you, just telling you how things went for me. We are all different and our bodies heal differently. I will tell you, besides a minor set back with my left arch - I am being possitive, it is going to get better! - LOL, I am very happy with having had ESWT. I went from living on pain meds and being unable to be on my feet more than an hour a day, to being able to basically do whatever I want to. If I overdo it, my feet tell me that night, but by morning, I am feeling good again.

Best wishes for a speedy recovery,
Lorinda

Tina H on 2/07/05 at 08:37 (168674)

Hi Lori- I'm sorry to hear that your feet aren't 100% by now. Neither are mine, but I'm so much better than 6months ago. I feel like I've hit a plateau, my ESWT foot isn't getting worse, but it's not getting better. My other foot which had been 'cured' of PF for 3 years is now acting up. I'm not going to let it get bad before I seek medical advice that's for sure. We know that doesn't work. The saddest thing is now my 14 year old daughter has PF so I'm trying to help her, being educated is an asset, but I've heard enough pf war stories to last a lifetime so it's very scary at the same time. Hang in there, it's good to hear from you, Tina H

Lori S. on 2/14/05 at 01:44 (169022)

I have seen you posting about your daughter, and I am sorry to hear she is now suffering with PF. I hope you two get things better. And yes, we know it wont heal itself. I am much better than I was 6 months ago as well. Both my feet were painless for about a month. My left is in pain again, tho, not nearly as bad as it was. And my right ankle still swells, in previous posts I had asked about swelling of my ankle after eswt, and a feeling like having shin splints in my ankles - it has been that way since having eswt. Doc thought it would pass, just irritation from the procedure. But now, we are not sure. Have to rule out arthritis, and other things now. Best wishes to you and your daugher.
Lorinda