Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

forget the crutches, get a roll-a-bout

Posted by elliott on 2/06/05 at 10:43 (168615)

After using crutches for previous surgeries and going through the usual sore armpits, temporary numbness in my palms, falls, etc., I decided to try something different, especially given how long I will be unable to weightbear:

http://www.roll-a-bout.com

Despite a rather serious foot surgery (see Social Board), I'm instantly and effortlessly gliding around between bedroom, living room, kitchen, dining room, hall, and bathroom (fortunately all on one floor) with minimal effort using the Roll-A-Bout. It is narrow enough to fit in between the toilet seat and bathroom wall. It folds instantly if need be. To turn, just lift up on handle and change directions (for tight turns, take it real slow so you don't tip over). This thing really works. The kids love it too! There are only two drawbacks: it doesn't work on stairs, and your spouse gets a false sense of your medical condition ('Just get it yourself!').

The company gave me a free week to see if I liked it. When it came in the mail it was already adjusted to my measurements (height and inseam) and fits like a charm. It costs $25 per week to rent, plus ~$25 shipping. Well worth it, if you ask me. If your insurance covers DME, you might get reimbursed in lieu of crutches with a doctor's note and the enclosed insurance form. I highly recommend this product. It makes an unpleasant experience that much easier to handle.

elliott

Re: forget the crutches, get a roll-a-bout

Julie on 2/06/05 at 11:09 (168618)

It looks brilliant, Elliott. And when you consider that crutches cause their own problems - shoulders, neck, wrists, armpits - this looks like a great solution.

Pat on 2/06/05 at 14:57 (168626)

I actually had the roll-a-bout after my surgery but someone posted another piece of equipment similar to it that was much better because you could turn without lifting the front up. I actually fell off the roll-a-bout three times! I didn't hurt myself and the roll-a-bout was great. I rented mine for $55 for the month from a local medical supply store and that's all I needed it for so it was worth it.

girlflier on 2/06/05 at 18:52 (168649)

god, i wish i had been online to get all your folks' excellent ideas ten years ago when i had my surgery. i crawled through my tiled house on hands and knees for about two months, had scars and callouses on my knees for about a year afterward. then i spent about 4 more months on crutches. sigh.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/12/05 at 14:06 (168939)

Julie:
I have been using the 'roll-about' for a number of years. It is a great concept. Like a bicycle, one must be careful on uneven ground, potholes, steps,etc.
Ed

smashburn on 7/21/05 at 11:51 (178778)

how can i rent a roll-a-bout i live in murphy nc.
(email removed)