Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Dear Julie

Posted by Dorothy on 2/06/05 at 14:53 (168624)

I wonder if you noticed this post to Lori of a few days ago - and I wondered if you can offer any suggestions to Lori or to anyone for whom fear becomes part of the whole pain-thing. I do not mean to put you on the spot or to assume that you are, or want to be, our resident expert on this subject - but then, again, maybe you are. Whether you are or not, I know that you do have important insights and perspectives on this subject.
I've kind of butted in with Lori and with Kathy G., too, and they have gone silent since. I hope it's not because I came on too strong - as I am wont to do - and hope it's because they are doing some other fun thing!
However, I do think I will back off a bit and ask you to think about whether you want to offer some tips and ideas about fear-pain-and that whole thing. Whether or not you feel you can/want to help, thanks.....

Re: Dear Julie

Dorothy on 2/06/05 at 14:53 (168625)

Then I forgot to give you the post of 'this post' referred to :-(!!

It is: Lori -
I have just now read your post to Connie with your comment that you are actually afraid of the pain in your left foot. That is understandable, but the fear may also be participating in the pain itself. Did you read Julie's recent post to me about pain, acceptance, etc.?? Maybe she will see this and post some specifically to you. Also, if you haven't read the John Sarno books, you might want to take a look - his emphasis is how our emotions affect our bodies and specifically circulation, the fact that we experience pain, then we anticipate it with fear, tension, etc. and we actively participate in its persistence. This is NOT an 'it's all in your head' thing AT ALL! Do not let anyone lead you to assume that about Sarno's ideas - and anyway, your own experience tells you the truth about your own experience! But it does give some insights into this whole process and even when there are debilitating physical triggers for pain, there are things that our emotions do (and insight can help undo) that contribute and/or cause pain BECAUSE of how our emotions affect the body's processes.
Posted to Category: ESWT

Re: Dear Dorothy

Julie on 2/06/05 at 15:47 (168636)

Yes, I did see your post to Lori, and have been trying to find my lengthy post about pain ever since, but I can't. I was going to ask you if you could find it! It was a useful post, and I know I wrote it at the time you were going through your painful back episode, with you in mind. And this was a week or so before my painful back episode started, and that was on 26 November. You're good at finding things, so if you can remember your dates, you might be able to find it and we can steer Lori in it's direction. I couldn't possibly recreate it.

And I'm no expert. But I can summarise it. When in pain, try not to fight it or resist it. Open to it, accept it, and let it in. Stay with it, stay focused on it. Breathe through it.

Re: Dorothy and Julie

Kathy G on 2/07/05 at 10:19 (168682)

Dorothy and Julie,

I'm very bad. I usually check the Social Board first, then the treatment and then the orthotics boards. I seldom go over to the ESWT board since although I understand it, it's not something with which I am personally familiar and it seems that there are many people much more informed than I. I should always click on the link that shows all posts, but I don't.

I can relate to chronic pain but I don't know as I'm the best person to advise someone, other than the obvious suggestions of painkillers, pain management, etc. Pain has been a part of my life so long that I have come to accept it and work with it or around it. The first time I experienced pain in my neck was when I was ten years old and it's been there ever since. For me, it's the degree of pain, not the pain itself, that presents more of a challenge.

Julie's post was wonderful. And you did a good job of summarizing it, Julie. I told my doctor Friday that I was actually lucky that I've always had pain because I think it's been much easier for me to accept this stupid arthritis. And that's exactly what one has to do. Accept it, go with it, but don't let it take over your life. Make the small concessions you have to and don't push yourself too hard but accept that you will always have to push yourself to some degree.

And Dorothy, you certainly didn't butt in or take over in any way. You were being your usual caring self and trying to help Lori through a hard time.