Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

When & how to start a running program again?

Posted by Marre on 2/06/05 at 15:30 (168630)

Hi, this board has been so helpful to me, thanks everyone for advice and just being a place to go when I felt depressed!

My PF is just about cured. I only feel a small pain when I press on the area of my arch. No pain on first getting up, or walking. A few weeks ago I was in the same position and began running again, but the PF came back. I was doing 3-4 miles 3 x a week at this point, much less than I did before I got PF.

I think I can start to run again, but I'm scared. The last thing I want to do is start over again with painful heels. Is there anyone on this board who has begun to exercise again, and what is some advice you can give? The problem is that I don't ever feel pain while running--it is only later on in the day, so it is very easy to overdo. How do you know when your PF is totally gone??? Thanks so much!!!

Re: When & how to start a running program again?

Julie on 2/06/05 at 15:55 (168638)

Marre, do less. I'd be inclined to start a walking programme before you run, and see how you go with that. You've correctly identified the problem: that the reaction is felt later, often not until the next day. The rule of thumb is that if the result of an activity gives you pain the following day, it was probably too much for you: pull back, go easier. Build up gradually.

3-4 miles at a time is an awful lot of impact on feet that have so recently been through the mill. It may not seem a lot in comparison with what you were doing previously, but it is.

I don't know that PF is ever 'totally gone' in the sense that one can consider oneself 'cured' I had PF for five months and have had no problems or symptoms or even twinges for four years (exactly) but I remain vigilant. I don't have to be careful or limit activity any more, but I never go without my orthotics inside my stable hiking shoes, and indoors I'm in Birks all the time. I consider myself in remission. The biomechanical abnormalities (flattish feet, overpronation) than gave me PF are still there, so I reckon it's sensible to assume that they could easily cause PF again if I don't take avoiding action.

Elyse B on 2/07/05 at 15:26 (168701)

well I am not sure I am the right person to answer as well. In the last 3 weeks I have done a 7 miler, a 10 miler and a 5K this weekend. My feet seem to be okay when I run but pretty sore later in the day. I started easy. I am running without my $600 orthotics and am still trying to break them in. Not even sure I will eventually use them.

Do you have inserts? Do you ice? Do you have good sneakers? I found that these particular sneakers seem to be better than the others that I have bought through this PF debacle. I am not sure anyone can answer this question. I have decided to start running again because it was not getting any worse with the running.

Marre on 2/07/05 at 20:22 (168722)

Elyse,

I'm not using my orthotics either. I feel as though they actually aggravate my PF. I wish I could run as much as you but I just want to get rid of this thing. I haven't been icing--it didn't seem to help--but have been using heat. Funny thing, though, in the last week I stopped everything, night splint, stretches, heat, etc, and my foot feels better than it ever has! I'll keep stretching but I think I might have actually been overdoing it.

What kind of sneakers are you using?

Thanks for your advice.

Elyse B on 2/08/05 at 07:11 (168733)

well I am not the world's best runner but I try. I am very slow but that does not matter to me. I am still not sure that orthotics are going to be the thing but as I said, I am trying to break them in but will see. I don't even stretch which I know is a big no no. Just take it easy and stop if you feel twinges. When I first started back running it hurt when I ran, changed my sneakers and it seems okay. My feet throb a bit afterwards for the rest of the day but by the next day they are fine.

john on 2/08/05 at 16:21 (168756)

I used to run and now I can barely walk. Find something to do that does not stress your feet. When and if you ever get to the point to where you can't work because of your feet you won't worry about running anymore. I know people who are 100 pounds over weight and they do not have PF. IF your feet don't hurt now don't do anything to irritate them.