Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

FRUSTRATED

Posted by KimN on 2/06/05 at 19:52 (168654)

I have been having problems since May 04 and one doctor put me on anti-inflammatory pills. Then since Sept 04 another doctor in the same pratice put me on steroids, anti-inflammatory pills, stretching, bed rest, physical therapy and sleeping in a night splint since Oct 2004. I have had two cortisone shots my second one was done in Dec 04. When I was given my second cortisone shot he also put me in a removal boot. I have been in it from then until today. I am still having pain especially by the end of my workday. Now he wants me to buy $500 orthodics and probably put me in a cast and crutches for four weeks. I am a little concerned because my right foot is taking a beating because of my left foot. I don't want to end up with problems on both feet.

Re: FRUSTRATED

Dr. Z on 2/06/05 at 16:30 (168643)

Kim,

With most insurance companies that cover ESWT the policy is six month of pain and Three failed conservative treatment. This is what criteria was used for ESWT FDA approval.
How many failed treatments have you had and how long have you had your heel pain.

KimN on 2/06/05 at 18:13 (168646)

I have been having problems since May 04 and one doctor put me on anti-inflammatory pills. Then since Sept 04 another doctor in the same pratice put me on steroids, anti-inflammatory pills, physical therapy, I have had two cortisone shots my second one was done in Dec 04. Last Dec I was given my second cortisone shot then put in the removal boot. I have been in it from then until today. I am still having pain especially by the end of my workday and having worn the boot since the week of X-mas. Now he wants me to buy $500 orthodics and probably put me in a cast and crutches for four weeks. I am a little concerned because my right foot is taking a beating because of my left foot. I don't want to end up with problems on both feet.

Ralph on 2/06/05 at 20:23 (168656)

I've been reading some of the older posts and what I've gotten out of them seem to be some common threads. I'm certainly no expert in what to try or not to try, but several people posted about the following items.
1. Cortisone injections didn't seem to help them much or the relief they got was just temporary.
2. There was no big vote either for anti-inflammatory success although many people apparently used them including myself. Maybe they help with some of the inflammation.
3. Lots of posters had physical therapy and some got a bit of relief from the various treatment there, but I can't remember anyone saying they were cured by physical therapy.
4. There were lots of people who posted about stretching and after reading several entries I personally am trying Julies Yoga stretching suggestions and the gentle massage that was suggested by others.
5. Many, many posts included the word 'rest' which I took to mean stay off your feet as much as possible. I'm lucky to have a desk job so I try to do this.
6. My doctor gave me a night splint, but I couldn't get used to wearing it,but recently took it out again and am forcing myself to use it. It's seems to help with morning pain. I read one post where someone has been sleeping with the night splints for over a year. He said they helped him and wondered if he continued if it would hurt him in any way and the doctor replied no. If you haven't tried the night splint many you should try it.

If you haven't use the search section on this site you might want to use it. I've found many interesting posts then I make notes of things I want to try.

One recent post that was interesting was from a vet. He treated race horses or at least expensive horses. I thought his post was interesting because he said he cures horses in a much shorter time than doctors cure humans. They have 4 feet we only have two. I'm thinking maybe I should see what a vet would say. That certainly was an interesting post.

Kathy G on 2/07/05 at 11:03 (168687)

Kim,

Have you read Scott's Heel Pain Book? It is full of helpful information. Do you have to stand at your job? What about getting a second opinion from another podiatrist? Usually, insurance companies are pleased when someone goes for a second opinion and your current poditatrist should welcome someone else's input.

You'll see, from reading these boards, that everyone comes up with a combination of treatments that works best for them, since PF is very individual. Scott rates them in the book. Many of us find Julie's Yoga stretches invaluable. Some people swear by taping their feet. Many find that anti-inflammatories don't help them but there are some who do. Again, it's all individual.

Don't hesitate to check out the treatment, orthotics and social boards. We have some wonderful posters who will be glad to offer suggestions and who will let you just vent. We've all experienced the frustration and pain of PF and know how you feel.

Good luck and let us know how you're doing!