Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Severe foot pain

Posted by Becky on 2/09/05 at 10:24 (168794)

Was trying to find answers in as many places as possible. For two years now I have had foot pain and it is getting so much worse. It started with heel spurs, with planter fasciatis. Did cortizone shots, padding, night splints, finally surgery. Now after surgery, I was still having pain I was sent to a neurologist, had emg's mri's nothing showing anything definite. Next onto a second podiatrist who suggested eswt, had that done, still no cure. He has sent me to a rheumotologist, who said my uric acid may be high due to diuretics, for my blood pressure. Now on colochicine to help that problem. Blood work however, shows nothing definite. Went back to the rheumotologist who still has no answers as to why the pain and now has prescribed Voltaren. Please help, the pain is on the top and arches in my feet, it feels as if they are constantly in a vice right foot worse than left. Could the eswt caused any of this, I need some answers, all these tests and no one has any ideas? Thank so much for reading this.

Re: Severe foot pain

Dr. Z on 2/09/05 at 17:40 (168822)

Let me see if I understand . You had plantar fascia release and now you have pain in the arch and top of your foot correct? If this is correct the answer to your problem is simple but very difficult to cure. By cutting the plantar fascia which is a very important support system that holds up the arch the foot has to support your entire weight and since the support system is damaged by the cutting of the plantar fasica it can't suport your foot any more so other structure in your foot have to now work to take over. This causes arch pain and pain on the top of your foot. This is one of the common complication with any type of plantar fascia release.
The treatment should be directed toward supporting your foot ie cast, physical therapy for strenghting some time taping. There are a small group of cases that take years to get better and in some cases this is permanent.

This is the reason that we try to avoid any type of plantar fascia release. A pf release can be very sucessful but in some cases very damaging such as with yours

Mike C on 2/10/05 at 20:29 (168864)

The plantar is a very important structure. You should allow this to heel. A cast or CAM walker and non weight bearing for 3 to 6 weeks should help. This does not treat the cause of the problem which was probably tight calf muscles causing increased stress to the plantar fascia. Heel pain with the first few steps in the morning followed by 'some' improvement again becoming more painful after sitting for a while is classic for plantar fasciitis. Pain caused by 'heel spurs' would not change in character. Plantar fasciitis responds very well to regular stretching and using a splint at night (keeps the calf muscles out to length). Once your fascia heels start the stretching. You might consider some suppotive running or walking shoes with or without custom arch supports.
Hang in there!

Becky on 2/21/05 at 13:03 (169576)

Thank you for all the suggestions, but I still have pain in both feet and the surgery was only on the right foot. The only thing that was done to both feet were cortizone injections and ESWT. The podiatrist and the rheumotologist still have no ideas. Any other suggestions?

Mike C on 2/22/05 at 21:17 (169666)

Yes, I do. It depends, however, on your ankle range of motion and what has been damaged by the surgery, injections and ESWT.

Ellen on 2/23/05 at 13:28 (169710)

I didn't realize that ESWT could cause damage - from what I have read it, it's one of those treatments that may or may not help, but doesn't risk making anything worse or creating new problems. Is that perhaps not the case?

Becky on 3/02/05 at 12:30 (170275)

Not quite sure if this is what you mean but when I turn the ankles inward or out, there is pain and tightness across the tops and pain towards my shins. If this helps please let me know what you think.

Becky on 3/02/05 at 12:32 (170276)

Ellen, I'm not sure what has caused the problems. I found this web site while trying to find out if there were any problems with ESWT. From what I have found there doesn't seem to be any complications. I am just trying to figure out where the pains are coming from.

Darlene on 3/02/05 at 13:17 (170283)

The fact that your pain is now in both feet would lead me to believe that you altered gait due to the pain and changed the biomechanics in both feet.
I am now getting symptoms in my 'good foot' after MN surgery on the other foot. Both feet are now very very sensitive - from the heel to the ball of foot. It seems like a catch 22 - I can't walk normally because of the pain ad because I cannot walk normally I have more pain.

Becky on 3/10/05 at 08:58 (170866)

Ok Mike, what's your theories?

jessica on 2/26/07 at 19:50 (223694)

I am going through the same thing. I had to quit my job because of my planter fascitis, I am a certified chef and on my feet all day. I had a cesarean in 05 and since have got osteo arthritis in both knees, plantar fascitis, fibromyalgia. I have no contro over my health and it is so depressing. I am going to a neurologist for answers and have got orthodics for my feet. Anti inflamatorys and cortizone shots have not worked. The pain os so bad i have to wear my shoes all day and night till i go to bed. I am only 25 years old and I am a single mother of a 17 month old. I hate constantly bieng in pain, I want to be active with my son but i cant. I am trying to lose weight, im not a plus size or anything just need to be thiner to take the strain of my knees and feet. My Dad is ordering me Ezorb for my feet you might want to try it im willing to try anything!

Good Luck, Jessica Piasecki email is jessica_piasecki at yahoo.com