Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Calling Dorothy

Posted by Julie on 2/10/05 at 03:16 (168829)

I've been doing lots of research and reading to inform my rehabilitation efforts. What keeps coming up is (of course) the importance of re-training transversus abdominis and multifidus. This morning I found and read this excellent article and thought you might like to have a look at it. It's quite technical, but very clear. About halfway down it has some interesting things to say about our friend psoas.

Here's the link:

http://www.thecni.org/reviews/12-1-p37-emerson.htm

For anyone else with low back problems/pain, the article clearly summarises the most recent research into causes (spinal instability resulting from poor recruitment of the main stabilising muscles) and treatment (the re-education of these muscles).

Re: Calling Dorothy

Dorothy on 2/10/05 at 10:24 (168834)

Thank you much, Julie! Worthwhile reading there (I've gotten through the first section - a little short on time right now.)
This reminded me of something I've been intending to add to the psoas information. When I first raised the psoas points quite a while back and then again more recently, I should have added one caveat. If one were to look for books or other material on this topic, it is likely that one would eventually come across a book that is called (I think this is the exact title) The Psoas Book by Liz Koch. I would advise anyone interested in psoas (or books) to look elsewhere. This book is poorly written in extreme, full of errors and doesn't even address the topic well at all. Now, I grant that it may have newer editions out than the one I saw some years ago and the newer editions may be improved, but the original edition that I saw was bad. Because its title is so enticing to one with an interest in the topic, I thought I should give my 'book review' here in hope of helping another psoas seeker avoid a mistake.
Thank you again. This article looks good and I'm looking forward to reading it tonight.

Re: Calling Dorothy

Julie on 2/10/05 at 11:27 (168837)

Thanks, Dorothy. I agree about the Liz Koch book.

Here's another article for you. The other one was theoretical, and I thought very helpful. This one is more practical, and I think very useful.

http://www.coachr.org/innerunit.htm