Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Richard re-casting foot orthotics

Posted by Tina H on 2/10/05 at 10:56 (168835)

Hi Rich- Took my daughter for her orthotic casting session today and all he did was put her feet in a foam box (non wt bearing). Is this an acceptable way of making the foot impression? When mine were made my foot was plaster casted. I'm thinking of getting new orthotics for myself because mine are about 5 years old and they are not flat on the bottom as you reccomend and actually, they are no longer comfortable. My question- If you think this box casting, which seems very easy, is okay, can I do this at home and then send you the box to make the orthotics? If this is feasible, let me know and I'll send you an email to get pricing info etc.. Thanks, Tina

Re: To Richard re-casting foot orthotics

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/05 at 13:57 (168844)

Tina H

I am sure that Richard will respond directly but I know his method of casting would be non-weight bearing with plaster. There are execeptions but the foam box isn't the best method to capture the mechanics of the human foot especially with children

Tina H on 2/10/05 at 14:14 (168845)

Oh great, looks like we are out $280 bucks if they don't work. Thanks for the information, I'll keep that in mind if we have to get another pair. I know it's a dumb question, but I actually do plaster casting of other things and have casted a human face before, is this something a lay person can do at home or is there a lot involved in getting the proper angle of the foot etc? Thanks, Tina

Dr. Zuckerman on 2/10/05 at 15:18 (168849)

Tina

You would be the first to cast yourself. The best way to cast is non-weight bearing with plaster.

Ed Davis, DPM on 2/10/05 at 21:40 (168870)

Tina:
The concept behind casting is to take a mold of the foot held in the corrected position; something not being done with foam.
Ed

Richard, C.Ped on 2/11/05 at 08:08 (168880)

We stopped using the foam a couple years ago. The foam tends to have way to many problems as well as taking longer to clean the cast.

We do semi weight bearing. I am not sure how he did non weight bearing with foam, unless he pushed the foam on her foot. We have the patient seated and we do all the work. From the finished impression, I can tell if it came out correctly. If not, I do it again. Most often, the impression comes out wrong if the patient tries to 'help' me by pushing their foot down.

I truly wish I could do the orthosis for you. If you try to make your own impression, it will not come out correctly. That will be just as I described above. It will flex the muscles in the foot and create a 'divot' so to speak, in the cast. I have been yelled at here from companies the send the boxes out to make your own impression. I am not afraid to say that it will not work. I might get yelled at again, but thats ok.

tina h on 2/11/05 at 11:52 (168899)

Richard- my daughter was seated and her foot was gently pushed into the box. Hope that was the way it's supposed to be done. Tina

Linda V on 2/12/05 at 19:54 (168952)

Tina,
My orthotics were made by the same method...the c-ped had me seated, and gently pushed down on my knee while supporting my lower leg until he had my feet into the foam. Maybe its not the most popular method now, but my orthotics are in my slippers right now and my feet feel pretty good. Best of luck. Maybe it will help your daughter as it did me.

Tina H on 2/13/05 at 09:03 (168962)

Thanks Linda, I really hope so! Glad yours are working. My daughter is fond of going around the house in those big fluffy slippers, which I've told her is a no-no, but maybe she could with the orthotics inside. She'll be happy if that works.

Re: To Tina regarding slippers

Linda V on 2/14/05 at 06:21 (169027)

Tina,
I have always LOVED my slippers..first thing I always did the minute I came home was put on my slippers and a fluffy old ratty comfy robe. I wouldn't dare wear regular slippers now..but these ones I have (about 15.00) made by Hush Puppies have a bit of a raised cushion heel and work well with the orthotics. I have had PF both feet for about a year...and would guess I am about 85% better. All I know is its nice to NOT have to wear my NBs 100% of the time.
Next week, I will go shoe shopping here in our new location in Florida. Hope I can find a casual shoe or sandal with good arch suppports.
Hope your daughter feels better.

Re: To Tina regarding slippers

Tina H on 2/14/05 at 14:48 (169053)

Linda, Thanks for the slipper information. How do you like Florida?

Re: The move to Florida

Linda V on 2/16/05 at 18:25 (169190)

So far, so good in Florida. Boy would I love to be able to go barefoot or at least find a summery sandal. Wearing sneakers has tourist written all over it I am told. I think I will have a t-shirt printed that says 'I AM NOT A TOURIST. I HAVE PF.