Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

What do you think of men dying their hair?

Posted by Kathy G on 2/10/05 at 16:30 (168851)

This isn't an earth shattering question but I thought it was kind of interesting.

A couple of friends and I were discussing this recently. I brought it up because there was a blurb in the paper in which Paul McCartney said that his younger wife wasn't the reason he was dying his hair. He said he started doing it long before he met her. I think he dyes it too dark a color and it looks artificial.

And as for Robert Redford, I can't even imagine why someone with his looks wouldn't just leave his hair a natural gray or white. He was a strawberry blonde when he was young and the red he's dying it looks awful, I think. Burt Reynolds has been doing it for ages. He's been doing it so long, his toupes have had to be dyed to match whatever hair he has left.

One of my friends said that she assumes if a man dyes his hair, he's got to be incredibly vain. I pointed out that, for a movie star, if his hair grows in an ugly shade of white, it could potentially hurt his career. It appears that there's a double standard here and I'm just curious what the rest of you think.

Do you think it's any more vain for a man, no matter his profession, to dye his hair when it starts to turn white than it is for a woman to do so?

Re: What do you think of men dying their hair?

Suzanne D. on 2/10/05 at 16:57 (168853)

I think it must be a cultural thing for many people to think that it is more vain for a man to dye his hair than a woman. These things seem to go in cycles or waves in how people interpret dress and hair styles, etc. Just think - in the days of our founding fathers, men were wearing powdered wigs with curls and a ribbon in the back!

Personally, I think people (men and women) should be free to dress and wear their hair (or dye it) in ways that please them and help them feel confident. As I tell my first graders - I'm glad you weren't cut out with cookie cutters! I'd never be able to tell you all apart!

Just my opinion...
Suzanne :)

Dorothy on 2/10/05 at 17:15 (168856)

I vote with my favorite teacher! Well, one of them anyway - we haven't heard from Marie yet....

I do notice that the grayer/whiter my hair gets, the more I wonder if my husband and I will become the last gray-headed pair of our generation. I have friends who have declared: 'blonde 'til I die!' (or red or whatever...)
Somebody will have to go gray/white to show the next generation what really happens -
:-)

Dr. Z on 2/10/05 at 20:17 (168861)

Here is DR. Z opinion. Only if it looks good. I have seen some woman look great with colored hair and some men look ridiculous. I think we all can tell the difference

JudyS on 2/10/05 at 22:43 (168873)

That's an interesting question Kathy....especially about the possible double standard. I personally don't see why a guy would color his hair because greying is so distinguishing and, well, sexy! I'll admit that I don't think I could trust a guy who was vain enough - even less-than-macho - to want to color his hair.

Dorothy on 2/10/05 at 23:10 (168874)

Between men and women??

Julie on 2/11/05 at 02:04 (168876)

But Judy! Don't you think greying is distinguishing and sexy IN WOMEN???

;)

Carole C in NOLA on 2/11/05 at 07:57 (168879)

I don't have a problem with men dying their hair if they want to (or women, either). I don't think sex is an issue with respect to hair coloring, any more.

Personally I prefer natural hair color, and mine is grey/white. But who am I to make choices for other people? If someone (male or female) likes their hair dyed, I may not like it but that's their call, not mine. The same goes for the clothes they wear. I'm not going to tell someone that he or she shouldn't wear shorts because of unusually unattractive knees, for example. And, I'm not going to tell someone that it's hardly novel these days to see yet another fiftyish (former) brunette with hair dyed a dark shade of red, or a guy who looks like he colored his hair himself with a can of brown shoe polish. It's not up to me to approve of someone else's taste, or lack thereof.

Having said that, I do get a secret giggle out of some of the hair colors people choose (and some of the clothes people choose to wear). Guess that is only human nature. Meanwhile I enjoy MY choice... to keep my hair its natural color. I enjoy the money I save (most women at my work spend over $100/month to get really excellent professional hair coloring, so dying it at home wouldn't work in my case). I enjoy not spending my free time at a hair dresser. I also enjoy the multitude of seniors discounts that are offered to me, that I wouldn't otherwise know about.

I don't mind looking 56, and I feel like I've earned every last one of these white hairs! :D

Carole C

Julie on 2/11/05 at 08:19 (168881)

Carole, you are a star, a woman after my own heart. Agreed: every word. Especially your final line.

Yours affectionately,

Silvertop :) (70 in two months and still earning them...)

Kathy G on 2/11/05 at 10:14 (168885)

I don't happen to dye my hair, and like Carole, I'm proud of my white hair and I actually think it looks a lot better on me than my ordinary brown hair looked. Well, mine isn't all white - maybe half and half, but I like it. And heaven knows, I'd be the last person on earth who'd want to bother with the time and expense of keeping up dyed hair.

And while I say I'm open minded and I think people should dress, etc., any way they please, I have to admit that I like men with grey or white hair and when I see a guy who dyes his hair, it makes me think he's vain or less than masculine.

I just thought it was an interesting discussion point. And Suzanne, I'm reading a book that takes place just after the Revolutionary War and they just introduced a character who's a bit of a rebel because everyone else in the village wears his hair pulled back and tied in a bow and he wears his hair loose. There's one in every crowd!

John H on 2/11/05 at 10:23 (168888)

No way jose!!!!!!!!! Not this man. They guy you describe in the Revolutionary War sounds like the Churchill guy from the U. of Colorado

John H on 2/11/05 at 10:29 (168890)

Julie: I do----. Of course it may be from my age perspective that is the way it is suppose to be. One can certainly be sexy and grey as sexy is not a matter of looks in the long run. It may be at first blush but that quickly passes. There are some knock down beautiful idiots floating around who lose all their sex appeal when they open their mouths and utter a word. Of course their are some knock down beautiful smart women floating around also.

John H on 2/11/05 at 10:40 (168891)

You are the woman Judy. Real men do not dye their hair where I come from. Not even their chest hair.

John H on 2/11/05 at 10:41 (168892)

Dr Z I bet your favorite hair color is blue. You are a bit of a devil I suspect.

John H on 2/11/05 at 10:46 (168893)

What do you ladies think of the Yule Brenner or Kojac look? When I was in high school all the machho guys wore crew cuts. That was when I could have had hair hanging to my waist. When long hair arrived in the 60's I was flying jets so you could not fit long hair under a helmet and further more the military had standards for hair length. Now I comb it forward rather than backwards. I have been out of sync my entire life with hair. How about the big hair days of the 60's with women? Now that was some real hair.

John H on 2/11/05 at 10:48 (168894)

I always assumed most women do dye thier hair. How many natural blondes can there be? Most women I have no idea what their natural hair color is and I do not care. Many men who I have seen dye their hair do not seem to have the knack of doing it right as they look goofy.

John H on 2/11/05 at 10:52 (168895)

Burt Reynolds has been wearing a toupe for many many years. The main guy on Cheers and Becker? is in Little Rock often as his wife Mary Stenburgen is form Little Rock. he also wears a toupe and has for many years. Movie stars are sort of stuck once they start wearing a toupe if they want to keep a given image. I like my man 007 as he still maintains his manly looks and does very little

Julie on 2/11/05 at 11:48 (168898)

You are The Man, John!
:)

Dorothy on 2/11/05 at 14:50 (168905)

John H -
One response to your question: it depends on the head and the man.
Michael Jordan had a beautiful head and was marvelous to watch on the court, like sculpture in motion. Likewise Kareem Abdul Jabar - Likewise Andre Braugher (wonderful actor - was on a TV program that was good, from Barry Levinson, 'Homicide:Life on the Streets' /Baltimore police- he played the detective Frank Pembleton, shaved head, great persona)
It just depends....the lead singer for Smashing Pumpkins (yes, I do keep up - although they're a little passe now)- I don't know; looked a little like a PUMPKIN, or a moon.
Personally, I like a bald head just fine. I think it has a lot of appeal even for a woman. I like simplicity and ease in life and what could be better than just shaving it all off. No more judging of each other related to hair (gray? real? sick? too thin? age?) and no more big investment in hair products! Anyway, I think that most women go to beauty shops so that they can have their hair brushed and combed and touched. I have never known any woman who did not love to have her hair and head 'messed with'.... So I think beauty shops are excuses to have that done. Just as I think golf is an excuse for grown-ups to go outside and play. What I would really like to see is the demise of the shampoo/hair product advertisements, finally, that show the plasticized hair being swung back and forth. It does not look real and I have never seen anyone in life with hair like that and those hair products are major chemicals. Hair, after all, is dead skin cells. Let it go. Same with fingernails that look like claws. And those fake fingernails....Ohhhhhh, they give me the creeps. I was scarred for life by a National Geographic magazine of my youth showing the man deemed to have the world's longest finger/toe nails. I have never gotten over it. Shiver. I think he was bald.

Dr. Z on 2/11/05 at 21:50 (168917)

between what looks good and what looks ridiculous. Good taste is just plain good taste

Dr. Z on 2/11/05 at 21:52 (168918)

Sexy is Sexy and its the complete person. I think a smart, confident, attractive woman is very sexy in that order.

Dorothy on 2/12/05 at 00:37 (168919)

Dr Z -
You said 'I have seen some woman look great with colored hair and some men look ridiculous. I think we all can tell the difference...'

I said: 'Between men and women??'

I was joshin' you....

marie on 2/12/05 at 18:52 (168946)

It's hair. It can be cut or it can be grown or dyed. I don't see it as being a problem. My oldest son has very long hair and looks oddly like John Lennon......kinda weird . Sometimes people make comments about it but he's a great kid who hasn't given me any grief.......hair is a non issue. It's the person and how they live their life. It's about who they hurt with intention and who they love with intention. Those are the qualities that I hope I've taught. I'm sure there are alot of men out there who wish they had hair to dye. :)

Funny that the Beatles started their career with their outlandish long hair and here we are talking about it again. :)

marie on 2/12/05 at 18:58 (168947)

I say the same for a man. Of course McCartney is still a major hottie!!!! Grey, brunette or white he's hot. He's smart, confident and attractive. I think that would apply to most men..........tehehehe.

I'm more of a total package person.

marie

marie on 2/12/05 at 19:07 (168948)

Sean Connery.............oh yeah! http://soundamerica.com/sounds/themes/Movies/bond.wav

wendyn on 2/13/05 at 12:19 (168973)

My side of the family tends to grey quite late (mom at 62 is not grey yet)...but my husband is quite grey. I am very fond of the salt and pepper look on men!

For women, I'm mostly indifferent to grey or not, but I've always sworn that one day I'll be one of those grey haired women with the long braid and birkenstocks!!! (It's actually a look I'm quite looking forward to!)

Julie on 2/13/05 at 14:40 (168985)

Like me, Wendy (minus the long braid, though) - my hair is very short.
:)

Dr. Z on 2/13/05 at 19:58 (169014)

I know . Thanks