Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS

Posted by denise g on 2/11/05 at 16:16 (168911)

I had tts surgey 10-1-04, I am now 100 percent recovered and feel free of pain and can walk as much as I want. It is truly a blessing, I wish all of you well. My dr. was Dr. Deland in NYC at the Hospital for Special Surgery.
Denise

Re: SURGERY WAS A SUCCESS

Norm on 2/12/05 at 04:09 (168921)

Great news! Hopefully the rest of us can get there someday.

Norm

Darlene on 2/12/05 at 12:46 (168933)

Congratulations Denise and thank you for sharing your experience.

Darlene

skully on 2/13/05 at 11:59 (168970)

Would you mind sharing how long you had it before hand, and if you had a positive nerve conduction test or not? Did anything show clearly on your MRI? Was it just one foot? Had you injured it or did the tts just develop over time?

Thanx. :)

denise g on 2/13/05 at 15:59 (168996)

Skully,
My condition happened over time, I had been diagnosed w achilles tendonosis and put in a cam walker that hurt my foot, the stupid podiatrist insisted I continue to wear it to heal the achilles, but it is my belief that the constant pressure and irritation caused the tts. I had it for a few months before I got it properly diagnosed. I had 2 misdiagnosis by local drs. until I went to Manhattan to Dr. Deland who knew as soon as he saw me it was tss by my description of the symptoms and where it hurt when he touched my ankle. I never had a nerve conduction test, only mri which did not show it. He put me in a hard cast before surgery to see if that would work for 6 weeks, it did not and I opted for surgery. I could not even walk across the street without severe pain. I am now 4 months post op starting to do my exercize walking again and back to field work in my job as a probation officer.
The only problem that I had after surgery was scar tissue, which a physical therapist helped me to break up.
Good luck to you. It was only 1 foot.
Denise

Dr. Z on 2/13/05 at 17:43 (169001)

Denise G
What percentage of success were you given before the surgery? Do you have any numbness.?

pango on 2/14/05 at 11:49 (169045)

I have numbness in my entire heel area, from the arch of my foot back to the end of my heel,Had surgery on Dec 29,2004, I still have alot of pain in scar area,pain in arch area,numbness in toes and ball of foot, I can accually say I have got zero relief from surgery and worst,I lost the feeling in my foot

Re: Reply to Dr. Z

denise g on 2/14/05 at 16:49 (169055)

I was given an 80 Percent chance of success by Dr. Deland. He said in any case the surgey would not make me any worse, so I felt I had nothing to lose.
I would imagine the skill of the surgeon would affect the percentage of success, I felt I gave myself the best odds as he is known and respected worldwide, even though it was inconvenient to go to nyc I would do it again in a heartbeat.

Re: Reply to Dr. Z

Dr. Z on 2/15/05 at 17:36 (169105)

Interestng. I have never read any success rates that high for TTS surgery and anywhere where they promised that the foot weren't be worse off. The skill is important but the disease is a very tough one to surgical treat. Glad you are doing so well

Karen b on 2/16/05 at 12:09 (169160)

The dr. warned me that it may not work, but assured me that if it didn't
he could go back in there and 'clean up' any scar tissue. It didn't
work because I needed orthotics, which he didn't even mention.

Re: can you describe the time between Oct and now

Buck on 2/17/05 at 14:39 (169261)

I had TTS surgery on 12/28. At times my left foot (foot operated on) will not be hurting while my other foot will be burning. In the past this did not occur at all, both hurt or burned in tandem and were ok in tandem.

The times when my left foot does not hurt is about 15% of the time. The other times they both still hurt in tandem.

I was curious if during your post op time, did you have times where you were not sure it worked? I have read many of your posts, and thought i saw some where you were still strugling but hopeful. Now you seem beyond hopeful to confident.

Did you have ups and downs? when did you start to become convinced it had worked? Right away or recently?

Re: can you describe the time between Oct and now

pango on 2/18/05 at 14:07 (169363)

I had surgery on Dec 28 2004, I still have swelling along the incision area near the ankle bone, Soreness, tightness in the scar, numbness in my big and little toe,Across the ball of my foot, And also have lost all sensation in my entire heel which I assume is because the surgeon damaged the medial calcaneal branch of the posterior tibial nerve , After consulting with my surgeaon he has now givin up on me, He gave a lame excuse and is sending me to a clinic which deals with Chronic Regional Pain,For what I don't know, I didn't have any regional pain till he gave it too me, Anyway,I have had zero relief and matter of fact it is worst now than ever

Re: TTS Surgery or ?

Kim M on 3/03/05 at 18:43 (170387)

I too am supposed to have surgery because of TTS. I have had the custom orthotics made, and I've had physio and three cortisone shots to no avail! I am due to have an EMG test, then on a surgical waiting list. Do I have any other choice?

Stephanie L on 3/16/05 at 20:13 (171359)

Denise- I had TTS surgery 12/27/04. I am no better and no worse. I still have pain when on my feet after an hour. That is the only time I have pain, when I am on my feet for more than 1 hour, walking at the mall. Sure I could just stop shopping to fix that. HA HA Ha. I have full movement with my foot, Im up and around like I was before surgery. Im taking water aerobics for my only form of exercise. My doctor didn't recommend any PT. How long did it take for you to be pain free? 4-5 months or was it much sooner than that from your surgery? Did you have trapped nerves and if so how many? How big was your incision? please respond to (email removed)