Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Cheilectomy

Posted by Susan M on 2/13/05 at 12:25 (168975)

I had a cheilectomy of my left great toe on 14 December 2004. I am still in pain and have very limited movement. I had a 6 week check at the end of January and the consultant wasn't too pleased with the results. He referred me to a physio who has suggested ultra-sound might help with the movement and pain. Do you have any thoughts on this? Can I expect full recovery with the ultra-sound or will I have to have a fusion as the Consultant seemed to suggest? any info would be greatly appreciated.

Re: Cheilectomy

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/13/05 at 13:20 (168979)

A cheilectomy does not always address the cause of the hallux limitus. Limited range of motion at the first metatarsal joint can be caused by many factors, and if some of those factors aren't addressed a cheilectomy may not provide significant relief. A cheilectomy is simply a 'cleaning up' of the joint, removing any bony proliferation that has formed that is causing a bony block resulting in limited range of motion. Often, this appears as a large bump at the top and/or side of the joint. Sometimes simply removing this bony prominence can result in significant relief of symptoms and improvement of range of motion. In other cases, the bone has to be realigned or 'decompressed' to shorten the bone to prevent jamming of the joint, or ultimately the joint sometimes has to be fused. Ultrasound may provide some relief, but range of motion exercises or a CPM (continuous passive motion) machine may be more useful to increase range of motion and limit scar tissue formation. Most importantly, discuss your concerns with your surgeon.

Susan M on 3/02/05 at 09:15 (170268)

I note your comments regarding the cause of hallux rigidus. I am regaining some movement with my course of ultra-sound but am still experiencing pain. I also still have a lump protruding from my joint. Is it possible to perform a second cheilectomy if enough bone has not been shaved off in the first instance? I am very happy that the joint is regaining movement but feel this is useless if the pain is still there. Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks

Amanda W. on 4/11/05 at 15:51 (172990)

I, too, had a cheilectomy late last December and am still in significant pain. Not so much in the area where the spurs were removed (on top of large left toe) but now on the bottom of my large toe. 3X per week for six weeks of physical therapy did not help. What my original physician said was that my sesmoid bone has 'moved' and it may now have to be removed. However, he thought orthodics and continued PT might help. Instead of doing this, I sought additonal opinions and it seems the sesmoid needs to be removed.

Have you seen this happen before? Is this procedure common? Can a foot feel completely fine without a sesmoid?

I look forward to your reply.

irene T on 6/12/07 at 04:59 (231417)

I too had a Cheilectomy and incision of Bursa In August 2005 and am having conciderable pain and limited movement Joint injected physio and two lots of aqua puncture all to no avail. Fusion has been suggested but so far cant cant think of it , as no garantee, that there will be no further pain, do not know what to do ?