Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

A photo question for our resident expert, Marie

Posted by Kathy G on 2/13/05 at 13:20 (168978)

My husband bought me a Epson photo quality scanner and printer for Christmas. I'd like to restore some of our old family photos and make our slides into photos. Thirty or so years ago, everyone was taking slides so many of the pictures of our son are on slides.

I'm pretty good with computers but I found the software that came with my scanner to be very confusing to use. Actually, the fact that the manual is available only on the computer is hard for me. I don't want to waste the ink and paper printing out hundreds of pages but I like to read my directions in the old-fashioned paper and ink form.

Last year, I took a brief course on digital photograhpy at the local library. The fellow was excellent but he was using Adobe PhotoShop which he said he thought was excellent but too complicated for beginners.

I've looked at Paint Shop Pro at Costco and that looks pretty good but I'm really not sure. Do you have any suggestions about software that would be easy for a 'newbie' to understand?

If any of the rest of you have any ideas, I'm wide open to suggestions!

Thanks!

Re: A photo question for our resident expert, Marie

marie on 2/13/05 at 16:34 (168997)

I suggest Photoshop Elements. Photoshop isn't that hard if you only do photos. Photoshop elements is a light weight version of photoshop and isn't very expensive. It comes with bundled with alot of scanners and printers now.

Alot of folks use paint shop pro and like it.

If you're planning to scan negs and restore.......photoshop elements is still the leader there.

Check on line to find some tutorials for photoshop. And feel free to ask me some questions. It's not hard if you know the basic steps.

marie

John H on 2/14/05 at 10:02 (169035)

Photo Elements 3.0 is a great program and unless you are a pro it will do most anything and more than 95% of the people want or need. Many scanners and some printers come with Photo Elements. Cost about $80 if you buy it retail.

Kathy G on 2/15/05 at 17:59 (169111)

Thank you both for your advice! I'll let you know what I decide to get but I guess I'm leaning toward the Photo Shop Elements.