Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Left heal ankle pain

Posted by judy s on 2/13/05 at 18:51 (169007)

I recently went to the podiatrist for pain that I woke up to one morning without any warning. Actually it took me 4 days to see the doctor because I was scared to get a cortizone shot. Anyways my pain started on the inside of my left foot on the soft area right under the big bone that sticks out the side of my foot. Now the bone doesn't hurt it's again the soft part right under the that big bone and also hurts on my heel on tht same foot. After taking a regular x-ray the doctor diagnosed me with plantar fascia, gave me a cortizone shot in that soft area, gave me inflammatory meds, pain killers and ordered me orthotics. He said my my arch looked like it had fallen. Well the inflammatory pills which I must take twice a day only work for 2 hours at the most and the same for the cotizone shot and the pain in the soft area under the big bone hurts more than the heel. Do you think his diagnosis was right. It has now been 7 days since I seen the doctor and the pain is still just as bad and I don't have my orthotics yet. I'm very worried about the pain under the big bone. Oh the doctor said I could walk in shoes until my orthotics come in but where at least 1 1/2 inch heels to raise the arch. What do you think?????

Re: Left heal ankle pain

Dr. Z on 2/13/05 at 20:49 (169017)

Hi

I would read the heel pain book. Very important to rest and decrease your activity during this acute phase of plantar fasciitis. Taping is very important and helpful. Change in shoe height is helpful, so long as it doesn't effect the rest of your lower extremity

Dorothy on 2/13/05 at 21:27 (169019)

Is the same Judy S in San Diego?

Darlene on 2/14/05 at 08:14 (169029)

Did the doc tap the area inside and below your ankle for a Tinel's sign? A lot of people with TTS complain of similar pain. Check the posts in the TTS section.

JudyS on 2/15/05 at 10:22 (169084)

Nope, not me.