Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Plantar Fasciitis and TTS in both feet

Posted by Bam Bam on 2/14/05 at 11:20 (169041)

I have been reading this site for many months and it has been very helpful thank you. I need some advice on what to do next. My husband is in the Army so I have tricare prime insurance. I've been seeing a pod. for 7 months and have been getting worse not better. I've tried rest, stretching,ice,one shot each foot,800 mg motrin, stability shoes with custom insert. My left foot is worse than right. I've had NCV it was positive in both feet with left being worse. I can't get in to see my POD. for three more weeks. I've been waiting on a referral it has not come through and don't know when it will. I got my MRI result today and have no one to read them until March 8. Doctor only orderd MRI on left foot here are the conclusions:
1.Focal marrow edema dorsal base second metatarsal either tramatic or arthritic. 6mm in diameter
2.Plantar fasciitis with marrow edema of the calcaneus.

I would like any help I can get. The army health care system is crazy. Like many on this board my life is hard and depressing right now. I'm 31 and have young children and am in pain most of the time.
Bam Bam

Re: Plantar Fasciitis and TTS in both feet

Bam Bam on 2/14/05 at 17:55 (169059)

I forgot to add night splint and compression socks to my list of things tried. Splint help with morning pain but the socks just casued more pain. I'm tring to get a referral off base. Does anyone know of a good pod. or orthpedic surgeon in Columbia,SC? Thanks for any help you can give.
Bam Bam

Suzanne D. on 2/14/05 at 21:02 (169063)

Richard CPed, who is highly respected on this site, is located in Columbia, South Carolina! A CPed is a certified pedorthist in case you haven't read about that on this site.

Go to the Inserts / Orthotics / Shoes Category on the boards here and click on Richard Graham near the very top of that board. You can then read about his practice and what he does to help people with foot problems. I believe the address and phone number are listed.

Good luck!
Suzanne :)
P.S. I'm not a dr., just a long-time reader and poster here who is about 90% healed from PF!

Bam Bam on 2/15/05 at 09:49 (169082)

Thanks Suzanne for your help. I'm still waiting for my doctor to call back with refferal info. I called Richards office and they do accept my insurance but still need refferal. My POD wants me to see an orthopaedic surgeon so we will see.

What has helped you most with getting better?

Thanks!
Bam Bam

Suzanne D. on 2/15/05 at 17:41 (169108)

I hope things work out for you and that you can get better soon!

In answer to your question of what helped me most, I would say that gentle stretching as is described in Julie's yoga stretches (click here) performed daily and Birkenstock shoes and/or Superfeet inserts in SAS lace-up shoes brought the most relief to my PF. (I did not have TTS to deal with as you do, of course.) I did not realize how tight my calf muscles were, and the stretching really brought about relief.

I found that Annapolis Birks with modified footbeds (extra arch support added as well as padding on top) really worked well for me, and I later found some Birks(only on the German site) called Santee which fit my foot better than any others. Those are now the only two styles of shoes I wear.

Best wishes,
Suzanne :)

Lynne.N on 2/19/05 at 14:16 (169445)

I developed Plantar Fasitis while on holiday in Kentucy,Like you I had Tricare my son took me to his foot Doctor.After X rays a shot of cortisone {which did nothing]And of cause celebrex,I was told to exercise and stretch the foot.Still did not help.
Came back to home state found a foot surgeon who put me on Ibupfron 3 tablets 3 times a day for 10 days .Good inserts in my shoes and no stretching. Also at no time go barefoot a shoe with a good heel is a must I want you to know it cleared up in 6 weeks,And during this time I walked everyday a couple of miles.And I am 68. I now continue to wear the good insert because Plantar Fascitis its basicly caused my dropped arches and the support helps your foot stabilise the best it can.
Good luck from Idaho