Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

sedation for ESWT??

Posted by Leslie B on 2/15/05 at 17:16 (169104)

I am going to finally have my ESWT next week on my left foot. I had my pre-op check today. I was told I will have an IV sedation given to me. Obviously my foot will also be numb. I thought that sedation is not always given for ESWT - at least that is what I seem to have read. Is there that much pain with this treatment that it is necessary? I am also asking because I have an orchestra rehearsal that night that I cannot get out of. I can probably get rides, but will I be coherent and awake enough to be able to play for 2 1/2 hours? How much pain will my foot be in that evening? I believe my procedure will be mid to late morning. Thank you for your feedback.

Leslie

Re: sedation for ESWT??

Dr. David S. Wander on 2/15/05 at 19:21 (169116)

Some doctors utilize sedation, our group does not since we haven't found it to be necessary. You should be asking your doctor these questions since he/she will be administering the treatment and will be familiar with the type of anesthesia being used during the procedure.

Dr. Z on 2/15/05 at 19:30 (169118)

I agree with Dr. Wander, the use of IV sedation with the dornier isn't necessary. Your ability to function after the procedure due to IV sedation will depend on the type and level of anesthesia that is given.
Always plan to rest the first 24 hours if you are the type that reacts poorly to any type of procedure. Most patients can resume normal activity after ESWT with the dornier epos.
If you for some reason have nausea from the IV sedation you can always postpone your evening. Try to get a local only you will do much bettter.

Tina H on 2/15/05 at 21:15 (169119)

Leslie, I had ESWT this past summer with the Dornier machine not Ossatron on my right foot. While the shots were no picnic, I was certainly able to tolerate them without sedation. When you have bad pf pain, what's a little more thrown into the mix as it's already so painfu. My foot was very numb during the procedure although there was some discomfort. I drove myself home (45min drive)immediately after the procedure. I'm sure everyone is different and I did clear this with my Dr. ahead of time as I didn't have anyone available that day to drive me. By the way this was in June and today was not my first pain free day, but my first pain free day where I walked a lot. I walked 5 miles and then did 30 minutes on the bike after. I have no pain now at 10:00 at night. It's so amazing, only fellow pf sufferers would understand the feeling of freedom that comes with this miracle. I'm sure it's not the last of the pain but I'm having lots of good days now. It takes a very long time after ESWT to get to this point so don't expect it to happen overnight. Best wishes to you, hope all goes well, Tina H

Dr. Z on 2/15/05 at 21:33 (169120)

Tina,
I think you described it very accurately. Glad you are doing so well.

Tina H on 2/16/05 at 06:45 (169134)

Thanks Dr.Z. I'm still so obsessed with PF that's why I keep checking this site everyday for new tidbits of info. I love having my feet back but am still very concerned that it could come back any time so I do my homework. Along with ESWT, I would rate this site as the thing that helped me the most 'recover' from PF, thanks to all of you! Tina