Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

To Richard about shoes

Posted by Buck T. on 2/16/05 at 09:25 (169143)

Hi Richard: Have pf and pronate and have just about worn out Brooks Ariels. How do you personally feel about the Brooks Beast, NB 925 walking shoe, NB W765 cross trainers. or NB 1121 motion control running shoe? Need something orthotics will fit in and I suppose motion control maybe. Shoes are for everyday use such as going to store, yard, walking.

Thank you so much, Buck T.

Re: To Richard about shoes

Richard, C.Ped on 2/16/05 at 10:05 (169151)

I love the Beast. I sell that as well as the Addiction mostly. NB makes good shoes as well, but I am a Brooks nut.

Dorothy on 2/16/05 at 10:33 (169153)

Richard, C.Ped

Well, at last we know what KIND of nut you are! :-)

Richard, C.Ped on 2/16/05 at 12:21 (169164)

Sometimes I feel like a nut, sometimes I don't. ;-)

elliott on 2/16/05 at 22:09 (169209)

Richard, I have a few comments about Brooks shoes. Many of us are looking for black walking shoes that might pass (if they don't look too closely) as acceptable work dress shoes (athletic-looking shoes are out).

To that end, there is the Brooks Addiction Walker. But I say the new version, albeit with improved looks over the older version (e.g., darker, smooth, black leather), feels like a rock; they took too much of the cushioning out that it downright hurts to wear it, even if you have flat feet. BTW, I think all Brooks shoes are a bit too tight in the toebox.

Then there's the Brooks Synergy, definitely cushier while retaining a level of stability (although it probably went too far the other way with this), but its main drawback is that the midsole wears out very fast (as in 3 months).

Finally, there's the new Brooks Turin, which I bet just about no one knows about:

http://www.onlineshoes.com/productpage.asp?type=brand&brandid=2&brandcatid=170&gen=m&pcid=13732

I have it and I'm really happy with it. Its looks are OK, its stability is passable, it is very comfy in the forefoot (if you take out the insert you'll see some blue gel-like substance on the sole), especially helpful if one has a neuroma, and it lasts and lasts. I had to get a wide width to get he forefoot room I need, but what's remarkable is that the instep in the wide remained closer to a medium (perfect for my narrower heel), so the eyelets do not meet up when I lace them. Really nice shoe.

elliott

{}

Richard, C.Ped on 2/17/05 at 09:40 (169246)

I have used the Turin quite a bit with no complaints. If you are looking for a good, sturdy lighweight dress shoe, try http://www.propetusa.com . The 'Balmoral Walker' and 'Windsor Walker' are two of my favorites that I wear myself.

Buck T. on 2/17/05 at 16:04 (169267)

Thanks Richard: I have just about worn out my Brooks addiction, which in incorrectly called the ariel.

If I win lottery, will throw big BBQ in Texas for everyone here. Only feet people invited. Thank you so much for time and energy.

Sincerely, Buck T.

elliott on 2/17/05 at 17:42 (169273)

Thanks for the recommendations, Richard. But don't expect those posh British and Scottish names to sway me. :-)