Home The Book Dr Articles Products Message Boards Journal Articles Search Our Surveys Surgery ESWT Dr Messages Find Good Drs video

Random Thoughts

Posted by Dorothy on 2/16/05 at 10:49 (169155)

Julie - I haven't heard the term 'falsie' in many ages....I think you should have had that gal bronzed!

I want to say this - call it my birthday gift to you, that is if you like it (and I've always thought that the Birthday Person should GIVE the gifts, not receive them, after childhood that is): I really treasure your book The Healing Power of Yoga and recommend it highly. It should be easier to obtain, however, but maybe obtaining it is part of its process! Last night before sleeping, while pondering birthdays and all, I read again the Afterword and (with your permission, I hope) wanted to quote it here: 'I said at the beginning of this book that we all need and seek healing. But what is it that has been broken and that we seek to heal?
Perhaps we can look at it like this: that what needs healing, above all, is our relation to God - or whatever name we give to the Source, the higher power or higher consciousness. That is what may be 'broken' and needs to be mended, united, made whole and sound. And perhaps a life-changing physical illness or a serious emotional disturbance, can sometimes be understood as a manifestation of that wounded relation, an expression of disharmony in our being. If we can accept that, we might consider that such an experience can act as a catalyst for healing: it can trigger a profound shift of consciousness, a surrender, that opens the way to renewing the broken connection and begins the process of healing.' Thank you, Julie, and happy birthday!

Re: Random Thoughts

Julie on 2/16/05 at 11:31 (169157)

Dorothy, thank you. I can't tell you how much I appreciate your thoughts about my book. And of course you quote it with my permission - and gratitude. I am very, very glad that you like it, that it has struck a chord in you. It's a wonderful birthday gift to have you say it.

Thank you - and a very, very happy birthday to you. I hope you're having a wonderful day. And that you get all those 50s years, and beyond, that you hope for.

And you know, if you were in Crete you would be expected to buy the drinks and give the gifts on your name day (the name day of the saint one is named after, and not the day of birth, is celebrated). So you'd fit right in there. Perhaps one day you will go. And if you ever do, make sure you go to my healing place, Loutro.

As for the paragraph you quoted, it is what I have experienced, first when I had my cancer diagnosis, and again just recently, when I was in extreme pain: this too brought its shift of consciousness. I remember your writing about a similar experience of your own some time ago - that moment of total silence and peace that followed total despair and giving up. Have you read Eckhart Tolle's The Power of Now? (I think I've mentioned it earlier). This is what it's about: surrender, and the 'portals to the unmanifest'. I think it would resonate with you.

Happy Birthday! :)

wendyn on 2/16/05 at 22:14 (169210)

Excellent post Dorothy. And very timely (for me). I can honestly say that my physical limitations over the last few years changed my life - and in many respects, largely for the better.

Dorothy on 2/17/05 at 00:58 (169224)

Julie - I am pleased to think that I might fit in on Crete. (Note to detractors: that would be Cretan, not cretin.) I still have hopes of going there someday. It's a big wonderful planet ...

And thank YOU!

Dorothy on 2/17/05 at 01:04 (169226)

All credit to Julie's writing and book, not me; I'm just quoting from it. It's worth reading/having in your personal library.

Julie on 2/17/05 at 02:43 (169231)

Of course you would fit in on Crete, Dorothy. And you would love it. Be careful where you go, though. You wouldn't like the main tourist areas, which are mainly on the north coast. Southwest is best - or the far East. It's a very big island with a mountainous hinterland, and if you don't have to be on the coast (I do because I love to swim) there is plenty more scope. But there are coastal areas that are still quiet and peaceful and beautiful.

Re: The Healing Power of Yoga

Julie on 2/17/05 at 02:49 (169232)

Thanks again, Dorothy. And you are right that it should be more accessible. I still hope to find an American or British publisher for it (the Indian publishers are happy for me to do this and will relinquish rights if I find one) but I haven't done anything about it.

You have been so positive and so encouraging about it, and I wonder if, as a writer yourself, you have any thoughts for me about US publishers, or even a connection with one that might be interested. If you do, I'll be glad to hear about it, and if you don't, I remain very grateful indeed for your support.

How did you find it, by the way? It's available on Amazon now, and on several smaller booksites, but I have a feeling it might not be that quick or easy to obtain.